The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: TOMS BAIT/CONES POINT  (Read 10158 times)

Offline whitetail05401

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: TOMS BAIT/CONES POINT
« Reply #30 on: Dec 12, 2007, 07:42 AM »
I uderstand all that and yes it sucks but my ???????? is can you get smelt out of the lake And use it DEAD on a pond. I dont see anything about that in the rules......If you can use dead minnows from walmart why not right.........jim s

Offline andy VT

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #31 on: Dec 12, 2007, 07:49 AM »
you cant use dead smelt unless they came from that lake

Offline Little Brown Dog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • My fishing partner
« Reply #32 on: Dec 12, 2007, 07:52 AM »
No, you can not catch smelt on one lake and use it somewhere else, no matter if it is live or dead.

From http://www.vtfishandwildlife.com/vhs.cfm
Can I take my baitfish home with me at the end of my fishing day?
No. Once you have used your baitfish on any waterbody, it cannot be transported alive from that waterbody, and must be properly disposed of. The VHS virus may be in waters for one year or more before being detected, and baitfish used in one waterbody may be exposed to the VHS virus, if it is present. If those baitfish are then taken to another waterbody it may spread the virus to new waters.

"My biggest worry is that when I die, my wife will sell all of my ice fishing gear for what I told her I paid for it"

Offline icebunny21

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #33 on: Dec 12, 2007, 06:58 PM »
I recently talked to Tom Jones from Vermont fish and Wildlife.  He told me that the proper way to discard of your unused bait at the end of the day is to dump it on the ice for the birds.  It seems to me it would be better to dump your certified disease free bait down the hole, but hey, what do I know, I am just a fisherman, not a biologist. 

Offline edp13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #34 on: Dec 13, 2007, 11:04 AM »
probly just a concern of introducing a new minnow species to a lake that did not have that particular species.
Slaying fish on the hard water

Offline Fish Farmer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #35 on: Dec 13, 2007, 03:23 PM »
Actually, not dumping extra bait down the hole was in the rule book last year, before that, it was just recommended because of the potential to spread other things like zebra mussels, milfoil, exotic fishes, other diseases, etc.

Offline shrub

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The secret to fishing: Fish where the fish are!
« Reply #36 on: Dec 13, 2007, 06:58 PM »
I recently talked to Tom Jones from Vermont fish and Wildlife.  He told me that the proper way to discard of your unused bait at the end of the day is to dump it on the ice for the birds.  It seems to me it would be better to dump your certified disease free bait down the hole, but hey, what do I know, I am just a fisherman, not a biologist. 

Not to say what yoru saying is wrong or anything by the game warden in our distric told me saterday that your are not suppsoed to dump them on the ice and that you are suppsoed to dump them in the "trash" ( how many acceses have a trash can?)  he just told me to dump it on the the shore.

Betty and Lucey say "HI"!

Offline Pike Dude

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #37 on: Dec 16, 2007, 04:19 PM »
Is Toms a Champlain Zone dealer?

Offline andy VT

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #38 on: Dec 16, 2007, 04:27 PM »
no it is not to my knowlage there are no champlain zone shops because they didnt net any native bait

Offline Pike Dude

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #39 on: Dec 16, 2007, 04:30 PM »
I was looking at the list and the only Lake Champlain dealer around here is Greg Hathaway on stage road.

Offline andy VT

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #40 on: Dec 16, 2007, 04:30 PM »
i forgot that i dont know anything but false info so call rob

Offline andy VT

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #41 on: Dec 16, 2007, 04:32 PM »
he works for ed give him a call

Offline andy VT

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #42 on: Dec 16, 2007, 04:35 PM »
pikedude  have you ben fishing yet any good pike

Offline bluebomber

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #43 on: Dec 16, 2007, 04:57 PM »
andy anymore ice on bomo since i spoke with you on wed out there?? had a better day on thursday before it started snowing

Offline andy VT

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #44 on: Dec 16, 2007, 05:07 PM »
5 to 6in on friday north side

Offline andy VT

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #45 on: Dec 16, 2007, 05:11 PM »
suposed to be around 0 on monday night maybe the rest of the lake will freze

Offline icebunny21

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #46 on: Dec 16, 2007, 06:03 PM »
I am pretty sure Greg does not have any bait.  I talked to Ed and he said that Greg was hoping to just get enough to use for himself.  I do not think Ed or Toms are Champlain zone shops.  I hope this snow does not hurt the ice there is now.  Hopefully the wind keeps bomo open until this white stuff is over with for a little while.  What a great year it would be if the ice was good and easy to travel on all winter.  I talked with a guy this afternoon who fished yesterday on Champlain and got 3 pails of perch and bluegills at Fyles launch today. 

Offline andy VT

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #47 on: Dec 16, 2007, 07:34 PM »
must have ben a dihard fisherman or nuts the wind was realy blowing all day    :cookoo:

Offline andy VT

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #48 on: Dec 16, 2007, 07:45 PM »
was it bernard that cought the fish like friday ::)

Offline doogie494

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • If I told you, you'ld know!!!
« Reply #49 on: Dec 16, 2007, 09:49 PM »
I am pretty sure Greg does not have any bait.  I talked to Ed and he said that Greg was hoping to just get enough to use for himself.  I do not think Ed or Toms are Champlain zone shops.  I hope this snow does not hurt the ice there is now.  Hopefully the wind keeps bomo open until this white stuff is over with for a little while.  What a great year it would be if the ice was good and easy to travel on all winter.  I talked with a guy this afternoon who fished yesterday on Champlain and got 3 pails of perch and bluegills at Fyles launch today. 

i was down there yesterday, and when i started there was maybe 12 or so of us and by 9:45 it was down to about 4 people. i caught a few but nobody was catching much that i saw.

If guns cause crime, then all of mine are defective!- Ted Nugent

Offline Little Brown Dog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • My fishing partner
« Reply #50 on: Dec 17, 2007, 06:54 AM »
Hey Andy, you and I agree on this one.   :tipup: I also heard that the Champlain Zone dealers didn't net any bait before stuff iced up.  They switched zones so they could buy bait and sell it anywhere.

"My biggest worry is that when I die, my wife will sell all of my ice fishing gear for what I told her I paid for it"

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.