Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: Lake Hawthorn  (Read 1422 times)

Offline frozen eyelet

• IceShanty Rookie
Lake Hawthorn
« on: Feb 14, 2019, 07:50 AM »
Has anyone on here fished lake hawthorn in Mahaska county?
I went there yesteday afternoon and hit some of the GPS markers provided by the Iowa DNR website but only caught 1 small bass and about a dozen baby gills.
Started on east ramp and worked to damn to deeper water.
Perhaps wrong end of lake??
Dont know but any info would be appreciated.
I think its fun to get out and try new areas, would just like to be close or know water depth anyone has their best results in.
Thanks   
Have LiveScope, will Travel.....

Offline Plan B

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Lake Hawthorn
« Reply #1 on: Feb 14, 2019, 08:50 PM »
Have fished it this year with so so success. Fish quality is not that great, biuegills up to 8 inches,8 to 10 inch crappie with some larger. Was much better fishing a year ago. You are on the right track fish deep in the main lake area off the dam. If you can find some brush west of the dam in deep water you will catch fish all day, not many keepers you just have to sort through them

Offline frozen eyelet

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Feb 14, 2019, 09:26 PM »
I made it just west of dam maybe 100 yards and fished the 24 ft hole that is close to south shore and caught the really small gills. There was a tree sticking out 60 yards back towards dam but it was only 8 ft of water.
There was a rock pile straight across that was loaded with some gills a little larger but wanted to try and stumble on crappie and it was getting dark.
Will probably park at west ramp and come in from that way next time. Neither ramp was plowed so I chose the shortest route out in case I had trouble getting through the snow.
Thanks for reply!
Have LiveScope, will Travel.....

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Feb 15, 2019, 08:00 AM »
I used to live in Oskaloosa and fished Hawthorne a few times. What is that lake's problem? The DNR was always killing the fish or lowering the lake for some reason. Back in the kid 80s we used to catch some fish but in the 90s we shot more ducks than we caught more fish. I moved in 2000, hopefully it's been better since then for you guys.
Every plastics manufacturer claims plastics outfish livebait. So now I use livebait just for the increased challenge.

Offline cropee

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Feb 15, 2019, 08:20 AM »
shoot me a pm.
I have fished it lots this yr
I can point you in the right direction. Its weather sensitivity this yr

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.