The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: Staying on the ice overnight  (Read 7477 times)

Offline mjgonehunting

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Staying on the ice overnight
« Reply #60 on: Jan 25, 2014, 02:32 AM »
I'm looking out of my camp on Horne Pond right now and see a bunch of lights around the ice already!
Some just arriving and some still here from last night.
Augers are already running too! At 10 degrees their holes will be frozen back before they can set traps at 5:15 for the derby!
Hope everyone who stayed out had a safe night, I thought of you all when I rolled over and kicked some covers off in my warm bed! LOL!!!
Take your kids hunting and fishing!

Offline AT Grimaldi

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Why does my 13 yr old always out fish me?
« Reply #61 on: Jan 11, 2019, 04:46 PM »
Old but good topic.  I have slept out in the winter, but never on the Ice directly.  Some really great ideas here.  I would add to pee immediately before you go to bed.  Eat something fatty before you go to bed.
Vintage Frabill Ice Shuttle with modifications
K-Drill with M18 Milwaukee Drill
Jack Traps rule the world of hardwater!
Marcum LX-7LI Lithium Combo Sonar System
ATG Custom Smelt Jigging Boards
ATG Custom Jigs
Arctic Armor Suit
Mr. Buddy
Shappell 3000
.....and no time.

Offline Kourcha

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #62 on: Jan 11, 2019, 05:10 PM »
I do overnights all the time. I personally love to Target cusk. But I always overnight in a cozy shed, and don't really ever end up sleeping much honestly average bout 4 hours of sleep on the nights I'm out

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
« Reply #63 on: Jan 11, 2019, 05:28 PM »
  X2 on the CO detector, sux waking up dead !
How do you know?  :unsure: :angel
"You can’t buy happiness, but you can buy fishing gear and that’s kind of the same thing.” 

Offline Alex Delarge

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #64 on: Jan 11, 2019, 05:32 PM »
My shanty neighbor is spending 60 nights straight this year. He tells me "I'm living out here til March". I said "where you staying at the motor inn?" Him "no in my shack". I go check it out he's got a new mission shack 12X16. TV, couch, recliner, stove, sink. He said his son was gonna come Monday and set up direct TV. Told him I'd bring him some spaghetti westerns in the meantime. Hardcore.
It must be something in the water.

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #65 on: Jan 11, 2019, 06:08 PM »
My shanty neighbor is spending 60 nights straight this year. He tells me "I'm living out here til March". I said "where you staying at the motor inn?" Him "no in my shack". I go check it out he's got a new mission shack 12X16. TV, couch, recliner, stove, sink. He said his son was gonna come Monday and set up direct TV. Told him I'd bring him some spaghetti westerns in the meantime. Hardcore.

I'm guessing divorced. 😁 

Offline MadFisha

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Wish this was work....
« Reply #66 on: Jan 11, 2019, 06:23 PM »
Or soon to be...

Offline woodchip

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #67 on: Jan 11, 2019, 06:49 PM »
Make sure Smoke and Carbon monoxide  sensor is in your Camp and working with fresh batteries, Put new batteries everytime you stay for extended periods of time,( Cold is hard on Batteries)

Offline Alex Delarge

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #68 on: Jan 11, 2019, 07:19 PM »
I'm guessing divorced. 😁
I didn't ask but he said he does this every year in more remote locations some times. I don't think I could do it unless I really had to. I'd have to spend at least 1 night a week at the hotel. Shower, toilet... that sort of thing.
It must be something in the water.

Offline woodchip

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #69 on: Jan 11, 2019, 08:27 PM »
Ive seen fishermen do this But when you have a camp on a lake and can look out at your traps and do not worry about a snowmobile running tru  its nice to be in camp . For cusk I have caught more in day light than at night. I have a secret for cusk these guys at night is a waste of time.   At night in front of warm wood stove with a cribbage board or tv is a better to way watch life go by>>>>>>

Offline DowneastPescador

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #70 on: Jan 12, 2019, 08:14 AM »
We stayed in our unisulated tent on great pond for the derby last year. We had cots but no cushions so our sleeping bags froze to be cot. Also at that point we had no mr. buddy heater. We were cold but not overly so. Probably got 3-4 hours sleep. Fished all night and all day and ended up with a 20 inch creek chub after 24 hours with 10 traps. That pond is some slow fishing. We will be overnighting again this year for the st Agatha derby but we have a heater now. It was about 15 degrees last year. I want to try togue fishing at night.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.