Author Topic: 4 wheeler or snowmobile?  (Read 5005 times)

Offline Rainbow1

• Team IceShanty Regular
4 wheeler or snowmobile?
« on: Oct 24, 2010, 05:56 AM »
I just saw a 4 wheeler for sale.  It looks interesting.  Ground clearance is a concern.  Should I just think snowmobile?

Offline wshnIwsfshn

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: 4 wheeler or snowmobile?
« Reply #1 on: Oct 24, 2010, 06:11 AM »
Is the 4 wheeler a 4x4 or 2 wheel drive model ? the wheeler you can drive year round and get more for your money  snowmobile you can only drive when there is snow on the ground . I have had both and for icefishing i prefer the wheeler over the snowmobile only my 2cents.

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #2 on: Oct 24, 2010, 06:22 AM »
Depends on the conditions you expect to face.  I use a ATV and have never been UNABLE to go where a sled did in order to fish.  Sometimes a sled would definitely be a better choice, but not always.  I've seen conditions where sleds were not getting around either.  There some things you can do to a wheeler to make it "go" in most conditions.
So if you have a use for the ATV in the "off-season" I would go with it.  If you can get both, it would be even better.

surflizard

« Reply #3 on: Oct 24, 2010, 07:37 AM »
With the change in the lower amounts of snow that we're getting here in NH now, I sold my Sled and bought a used Wheeler that was tricked out for ice fishing. I've had it in 14" of wet slop and had no trouble getting aound, Granted the V-bar chains had a lot to do with it that day ! I really like the fact that I can use it year round and it most definately makes getting the Surflizard Stick em and Stack em Show on the ice a heck of a lot easier !  :thumbsup: :roflmao: :icefish:
FLAAAAGGG !!  :tipup: ;D

Offline DaveSS1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Oct 24, 2010, 07:49 AM »
Can you get away with a 2x4 quad?  I see a them for sale, but wondered what you had to do to get the "ice ready".

Most of my friends has 4x4 quads because they like to use them year round.  The snowmobile is nice if you get a lot of snow.  I know there are parts of N MI where the sled would be the only way to go.

surflizard

« Reply #5 on: Oct 24, 2010, 08:14 AM »
 A friend of mine bought one of the generic 2x4 wheelers at Tractor Supply for short money, it was a left over. He studded the tires with sheet metal screws and he does pretty good with it, he just had to learn his machine's limitations !  ;D I walked/dragged for a lot of years and I have no regrets getting my wheeler, now I fish all over the Northeast and Canada !  :thumbsup: :icefish:

Offline hrdwtr24

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Oct 24, 2010, 08:45 AM »
I was also contemplating this same subject and decided to buy a 4x4 atv I can use it for hunting in the fall, icefishing in winter and just for fun spring and summer. now I just need to find one I can afford!! ;)  so if any of my iceshanty brothers and sisters in the northeast see or hear of a good one for sale shoot me a message!!   Thanks!!... :tipup:

Offline deerme

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Oct 24, 2010, 08:58 AM »
+1 on the wheeler.  i bought a used sportsmans 400 last year and am so happy i did.  took it everywhere ice fishing!  could even plow my 150+ ft (flat) driveway with it.  definitely put the chains surf mentioned on the rear tires.  night and day on the ice....

surflizard

« Reply #8 on: Oct 24, 2010, 09:03 AM »
I fired you a PM, Hrdwtr !
I love giving the plow guy the snow back !!  :thumbsup: :roflmao:

Offline hrdwtr24

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Oct 24, 2010, 09:13 AM »
I fired you a PM, Hrdwtr !
I love giving the plow guy the snow back !!  :thumbsup: :roflmao:

Great Idea Surf! thanks....

Offline SmellsLikeFishNH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Oct 24, 2010, 02:52 PM »
ATV all the way. Get some chains and you can get through pretty much anything!!

Offline flyboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Oct 24, 2010, 04:10 PM »
I have a 4x4 and a 2x4 quad. I would love to use them ice fishing, trouble is if I'm in the ice hut too long and don't start them up they won't start, just too cold up here in the winter. I even switched to synthetic oil.   F.B.
The worst day fishing is better than the best day at......heck! you guys already know that!

Offline SmellsLikeFishNH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Oct 24, 2010, 04:34 PM »
I had a night on Winni here last winter that it got so cold it wouldnt start either until it warmed up and the sun hit it the next morning, that was pretty wild. Might be nice to keep a can of starter fluid around for nights or days like that. I can only imagine the temps you expierence.

-Scott

Offline MGK

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Oct 24, 2010, 05:56 PM »
In Northern Maine, you wouldn't be able to fish very long with an ATV but in NH you get less snow. I think that an ATV would be better for NH because you can use it all year.

Offline MaxAntonious

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Oct 26, 2010, 10:08 AM »
I have a 4x4 and a 2x4 quad. I would love to use them ice fishing, trouble is if I'm in the ice hut too long and don't start them up they won't start, just too cold up here in the winter. I even switched to synthetic oil.   F.B.

I was very close to picking up a used sled just for ice fishing and then was (luckily) talked out of it by friends.  Even here in upper WI we don't always get a ton of snow and some years it doesn't even come before Christmas.  So I picked up a Sportsman 550 that I can use year round.   I went the the Fuel Injected model just for the cold starting.  Hopefully I have no problems with that.
Fish Hard or Go Home

Offline Allen66

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Oct 26, 2010, 10:49 AM »
I use my Sportsman 700 with ice racing screws in the tires, works great, just have to be sure whatever you use to transport your wheeler has something sacrificial on the floor to park it on. The screws are very sharp and will eat through your floor during transport. I park mine on strips of scrap plywood and it eats through about 2 plies on a trip to the lake. I'd hate to see what they'd do to a pickup bed. Have to get some rubber belting for this season.

Offline michianafisherman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pleasant Times At Pleasant Lake
« Reply #16 on: Oct 26, 2010, 11:19 AM »
The options for a snowmobile and 4 wheeler are endless. It is a mater of how much you want to spend. I have the cheap lightweight method. My 4 wheeler is 2 wheel drive and only weighs 200lbs. I can tell you it faster and easier than walking. I haul it in the van with me all season. I use screws in the tires and don't have a problem wearing out my van carpet because the 4 wheeler doesn't move around and is light weight. I did have to fix it up to do what I wanted but would do it again if I had too. I can load and unload without help. I also pull large loads with it. My concern was hauling and loading whatever I did buy.

I do agree to keep the starter fluid handy with all four wheelers.

HELD HOSTAGE BY PHOTOBUCKET

Offline Allen66

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Oct 26, 2010, 11:37 AM »
The options for a snowmobile and 4 wheeler are endless. It is a mater of how much you want to spend. I have the cheap lightweight method. My 4 wheeler is 2 wheel drive and only weighs 200lbs. I can tell you it faster and easier than walking. I haul it in the van with me all season. I use screws in the tires and don't have a problem wearing out my van carpet because the 4 wheeler doesn't move around and is light weight. I did have to fix it up to do what I wanted but would do it again if I had too. I can load and unload without help. I also pull large loads with it. My concern was hauling and loading whatever I did buy.

I do agree to keep the starter fluid handy with all four wheelers.

Given the fine conditon of the roads here in NY, things end up jumpin all over. More potholes than pavement.

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #18 on: Oct 26, 2010, 12:37 PM »
ATV, "true" 4-wheel drive, 2-link v-bar tire chains all the way around.  I have never been stuck on the ice.  This setup will crawl through nearly anything on the ice.  No ramming or banging, just easy throttle and you move along.

Offline Doubles Shooter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Oct 26, 2010, 01:11 PM »
I thought about a 4-wheeler and wound up buying a sled. The main reason was the fact I don't have a place to ride a wheeler other than the ice. There are over 10,300 miles of snowmobile trails in NY. Very few places to ride a 4 wheeler that aren't pay to ride. If you have a place to ride year round, buy the wheeler. If not consider the sled you'll get more use out of it.

Offline highsparks

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Oct 26, 2010, 01:20 PM »
   I have a wheeler , its efi and has started down to temps of -32 .  I also have tracks , for the years the snow is too deep , I can still go anywhere .   Tracks are about the same price as a good used sled , so it made more sense to me .  Instead of maintaining two different units I have one that does it all .  I use my wheeler to plow snow , and with the tracks on its unstoppable.....
Its better to be thought an idiot , than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.......

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.