Author Topic: Old lowrance green box  (Read 5439 times)

Offline cityfishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
Old lowrance green box
« on: Nov 13, 2003, 05:23 PM »
I just inherited an old lowrance flasher-type fish finder that I plan to use ice fishing. Do these things still work well? Does anybody know much about them? It's my first go at using a fishfinder and I'm hoping that it's going to up my production. Any tricks to using this thing? I could use some guidance.

fishmanj

Re:Old lowrance green box
« Reply #1 on: Nov 13, 2003, 06:02 PM »
My buddy showed up at the lake once with one of them.  I think its called the fish-locator or something like that.  Even though it was old we were still able to get it to work.  We were able to see our jigs and fish on it.  I think it was a bit loud but it did work.

Offline crappieloo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • nnnnn......Ice
« Reply #2 on: Nov 13, 2003, 06:34 PM »
It will work just fine.
Just make sure your transducer is level, also make shure you have enough power for it.
Interstate Motorcycle battery works real nice.
Crappieloo
Wayne Co. N.Y. :'(

Offline cityfishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #3 on: Nov 13, 2003, 08:01 PM »
To level the transducer, do I have to rug up a stick or something keeping it down under the ice level? Or can it just hang? What about some of the thoughts of rigging a 5 gal bucket? Thanks for the battery thought. I want to keep it light.

Offline FishDaddy09

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Nov 14, 2003, 09:22 AM »
The old green box locators are great units.  I think once you get used it you will love it.
There is nothing in the world I'd rather do than ice fish!

Offline crappieloo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • nnnnn......Ice
« Reply #5 on: Nov 14, 2003, 06:04 PM »
I used a gimble mount like Genz did when he started out, and found out it was a pain in the a##.
I figured to forget the Genz stuff and fab. my own.
First go to the hardware store and buy a ROUND level. The one that works great is about the same size of a puck transducer, or may be 1/4 inch bigger diameter. Next glue the bubble level on top of the transducer. I think i used 3M structural adhesive. Now theres a few ways you can mount it to the box, just use your imagination. What i did was use a telescopic radio antenna( free, you can find them anywhere), extended it fully to make sure that the puck is about 3  to 4 inches lower than the bottom of my box and mounted it in the proper spot on the box.
The thin end is double tie-wrapped to the puck.
Works perfecly for 14+ years.
The nice thing about the atenna is you can adjust for first ice and for later in the season when theres a thick coating of snow.
Also even with a 8 degree or 10 degree cone you can see WAY farther off to the  side than a so called Wide cone, by angling the stalk
(antenna) off to the side.
I have pulled many tricks with this set up, too many to mention here.
Crappieloo :'(

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.