The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: SMELT  (Read 560 times)

Offline stevenmang85

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • got bluegill?
SMELT
« on: Dec 15, 2015, 08:38 PM »
Just drove by second bay of gull and noticed an eerie green glow coming from the middle... Spooky... ALSO. Trying to decide between 2 straight line reels. The frabill 101xla and the blue eagle claw reel. Anybody have hands on with either? May the ice gods wake from their slumber cuz I'm dying over here....
gilliams and smeltzillas

Offline 3300

• Iceshanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
Re: SMELT
« Reply #1 on: Dec 15, 2015, 11:49 PM »
that glow in the middle, maybe that's the god of smelt delivering.

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 16, 2015, 01:24 AM »
time to get the kayak or boat out and do some smelting forecast around here is not looking that good...

Offline Wgorby

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 16, 2015, 05:59 AM »
I just sold a Frabill 101 combo....those reels are 1:1 gear ratio, unless your fishing in 10fow or less they are tough to use IMO.  I did however check out the new Frabill 371 inline reel....holy cow what a smooth reel (22" of line retrieval per 1 turn on the reel), pick one off the shelf and hand spin the spool, I think you can count to 100 before it stops spinning.  Try that with the 101 or the Eagle Claws.  ;)  Kinda pricey at MSRP of $69, but you can find them cheaper on the interweb.

Can't wait to chase me some smelt on Gull....might be March before that happens with this warm weather but it will happen....I hope.
Follow GorbyGear on FB and Instagram

Offline smeltbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Dec 16, 2015, 03:00 PM »
Steve, I picked up 3 of the black Eagle claw reels last year,& they have been great !  I even put one on an ultra-light, this past spring & used it for flatline trolling for crappies, it worked great, for that too. If you want to check one out, PM me ,  w/  no ice  :( , no deer tags  :) , & duck season closed  :( , I can probably find a few min. to let ya check the reels out. ;D
"Yes officer, my chocolate lab did shoot me,with my brothers 12 gauge"!  11-8-87,true story!          "Sorry were late mom,Chris & me just got done with a cow hunt,we each got a big black Angus with our muzzleloaders"!  (the Christmas eve cow hunt w/ my son; 2004 !

Offline stevenmang85

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • got bluegill?
« Reply #5 on: Dec 16, 2015, 05:42 PM »
Yea. Could call on the gear ratio... Think I'm going with an eagle claw.  Phil! Was wondering when I reponse from you was gonna pop up ;). The blue ones are better reviewed than the black ones. So I may go with one of them. Thanks for everyone's comments! Hope we can get on some ice here soon!
gilliams and smeltzillas

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.