Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: Clear Lake  (Read 429300 times)

Offline luckydog35

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Clear Lake
« Reply #2610 on: Jan 11, 2017, 08:50 AM »
Clear lake has changed in many ways over the years....

Mostly for the good!!! We have seen a huge increase in vegetation in the past 5 years. This is due to several factors, dnr water quality projects, zebra mussels, low water from drought a few years ago all play a part. The dredge project probably having the largest impact. Helping with water quality and altering the location of fish.

It has been exciting for me,as an angler, I appreciate the challenge to learn new techniques and locate the fish in their ever changing lake.

The massive amount of weeds that have appeared in 5ft and less. Would be a great reason to fish shallower than we are accustomed. I found this to be true all summer as well. The fish are with the food, that happens to be ultra shallow, right now.

I don't claim to know everything about fishing. Hell, I learn more about it everyday, that's the excitement of it all!! Mostly from these young anglers coming up who aren't stuck in their ways.....

Thanks and good luck!!
Chris
Clbt owner

Offline icefisher4

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2611 on: Jan 11, 2017, 10:52 AM »
Well said luckydog35.
I hope to make it out tomorrow and Friday morning then hopefully a day this weekend. Anyone know if the bite has picked up a little?

Offline Crappyfishrman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2612 on: Jan 11, 2017, 01:01 PM »
Hopefully the bite is good again this year for the yellow bass bonanza! 3rd year for me, hoping to make it to top 25 this year!

Offline Oldbear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2613 on: Jan 15, 2017, 03:42 PM »
A lot of fishing goes on at the West end of the lake so it will be nice to have the Dome open again.

Offline Bockster

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2614 on: Jan 15, 2017, 08:30 PM »
I left with 59 Friday, 70 yesterday and 163 today. Fishing 7-9fow away from the crowd. Took a lot of drilling to find fish.

Offline MidnightRambler

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2615 on: Jan 16, 2017, 09:03 AM »
Things that have changed on Clear Lake since I started fishing it on occasion in the late 1990s. Most of this did happen after the dredging:

A LOT fewer bullheads today than in 1999.

More crappie and perch now. I've even heard rumors of people catching decent bluegill on CL.

The best ice-fishing moved from the east end around the island to the western side of the lake where the dredging was done.

What hasn't changed:

Lots of 13.9" walleye, and billions of yellow bass.

Offline SpoonieLuv

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2616 on: Jan 16, 2017, 10:14 AM »
Why wouldn't the Island area still be decent, or the east end?

Offline jstfish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2617 on: Jan 16, 2017, 11:16 AM »
What does one do with all those yellow bass ? Are they good eating. Can honestly say I've never tried one.

Offline Bockster

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2618 on: Jan 16, 2017, 01:03 PM »
Yes they're good eating. I give most of mine away or throw big fish frys just because of the fact I can only eat so many per week and I'm cleaning 10x  as many on the weekends lol. I prefer them deep fried with a crunchier/seasoned breading lile Andys. Always put them in salt water over night.

Offline 26perch

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2619 on: Jan 16, 2017, 06:37 PM »
Things that have changed on Clear Lake since I started fishing it on occasion in the late 1990s. Most of this did happen after the dredging:

A LOT fewer bullheads today than in 1999.

More crappie and perch now. I've even heard rumors of people catching decent bluegill on CL.

The best ice-fishing moved from the east end around the island to the western side of the lake where the dredging was done.

What hasn't changed:

Lots of 13.9" walleye, and billions of yellow bass.
bullheads next to none existence thanks to state stocking flatheads  bullheads used to be one of major food supplies for walleyes

Offline ralphy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2620 on: Jan 16, 2017, 07:33 PM »
Bockster

what does soaking them in saltwater overnight do?
What's  the salt to water mixture  you use?
thanks

Offline Bockster

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2621 on: Jan 16, 2017, 08:57 PM »
I noticed a stronger tatse without salting them. Most people said they couldn't tatse a difference but I could always  notice. Maybe it's all in my head but I always just eyed it and put some salt in with the bowl of fish fillets and water and let them Soak overnight before freezing. Before I'd cook them I'd let them sit in a bowl of milk for a half hour. Helps remove any fishy flavor and I use it to bond the breading to the fillets rather than using eggs. Between the salt and milk the fillets taste just like anything else. White flaky meat

Offline 26perch

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2622 on: Jan 16, 2017, 10:16 PM »
salt water helps  draw any blood out also use it on my wild game don't use any certain amount

Offline ice-aholic

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #2623 on: Jan 17, 2017, 04:19 AM »
I agree with drawing the blood out, we would always do this with catfish fillets, works good

Offline baogongmeo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2624 on: Jan 19, 2017, 01:44 PM »
Two friends and myself have been planning on going to Clear Lake on our first ice fishing adventure starting the 30th. For you locals and experienced ice fishermen , is this going to be do-able and safe with the warmer weather and rain forecast for the next several days? Is this going to be a situation where it would be safe to walk but definitely don't drive?
I realize no-one can say for certain but your best guess would be appreciated as would any friendly advice .

Thank you in advance from the Newby

Offline Trump

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2625 on: Jan 19, 2017, 03:56 PM »
fella with the long b name if you have the facebook there was a post yesterday from the crazy minnow bait shop and it was sent to me via text message but it was a photo looking out from McIntosh boat ramp Wednesday the 18th 16-20'' of ice out from shore he says and guys are still driving out it mentioned he did not know with the warm up how the accesses will take the abuse.  myself and others are headed tomorrow and taking wheelers one guy is bringing a shanty and I imagine he will be towing it out with the truck ill report back sunday.

Offline baogongmeo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2626 on: Jan 19, 2017, 04:02 PM »
Trump, thank you and will be looking for your Sunday fishing report.

Offline icefisher4

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2627 on: Jan 19, 2017, 07:47 PM »
Was anyone out tonight on the little lake? Wondering how the McIntosh ramp is? Going to spirit lake next weekend. And not sure how the ramp is gna hold up. I have to get my wheelhouse off of it to take over there.

Offline 26perch

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2628 on: Jan 19, 2017, 09:30 PM »
drove on Clear Lake today both farmers beach & McIntosh no problems but some water on ice at McIntosh high today36 current 34 with fog & mist no or light wind high temp thru mon upper 30's & cloudy

Offline SchlitzBeer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2629 on: Feb 03, 2017, 09:04 AM »
Any updates for Clear Lake fishing? I'm heading up that way tomorrow.

Offline baogongmeo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2630 on: Feb 03, 2017, 10:11 AM »
Returned home last night from Clear Lake. It was my first ice fishing trip so I've still got a lot to learn but we caught fish.
We fished the reeds in about 3"-4" of water. Caught very few on minnows but they liked waxies. Several crappie 10"+ , a few bull gills ( lots of smalls) , yellow perch and bass both yellow and largemouth.
The ice is topped with frozen slush and very rough... where we were the ice was 18" or so.
My first bass was about 4-5 lb and as I was reaching down to lip him, the hook on the jig broke off right at the jig body.

Offline trex59

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2631 on: Feb 03, 2017, 11:40 AM »
Were you fishing the little lake in the reeds? My son are coming up this week to fish a few days before the YBB.  I have been watching the boards for clear to see what has been going on and what the travel conditions are?  Ice is either gone or going fast in eastern iowa and not worth it. This trip will be my first time this yr.  Other things kept me from going when the ice was good and when I have some time, the ice is not worth trying it!  I have only ice fished Clear a couple times before. This will be our 3rd YBB as we had to skip last year because it was valentines day, but my wife let me cross off a bucket list by doing the Eel pout festival on Leech! You have to do that at least once!
Glad that you caught some fish!

Offline baogongmeo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2632 on: Feb 03, 2017, 01:20 PM »
In the main lake but I would think that the little lake would be similar. Road conditions were dry.

Offline Bockster

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2633 on: Feb 04, 2017, 07:24 PM »
DO NOT DRIVE THROUGH THE CHANNEL.
Fished the channel today (parking in front and walking into it drilling holes on the way). Saw people driving through in trucks without bothering to get out and check the thickness (Still super risky as the ice can go from 2' to 2" in a matter of yards in the channel and wouldn't recommend ever driving through it) There was OPEN WATER just off the sandbar in the channel.
Otherwise we drove on at Farmers and drovery in front of the channel--Thin Ice Markers-Farmers and everywhere in between. Ice conditions are fantastic with the exception of frozen tracks around the launches. We left with 100 yellows just running around trying to hit as many way points as possible. Not staying and catching buckets of fish at the hotter spots.

Offline justin1234

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2634 on: Feb 04, 2017, 10:41 PM »
is the channel the bit between the small lake and the big lake?   the  guy at the dome bait shop said dont drive between the lakes or near the spillway...

Offline Spark

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2635 on: Feb 05, 2017, 06:17 AM »
Hey guys never fished the lake before, pretty excited too.  Anyways my question is, is there anyplace to clean your fish around the town.  Do any of the hotels have fish cleaning facilities. 

Offline Big Blue

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2636 on: Feb 07, 2017, 02:54 PM »
You could call Dan at the CMC bait shop, he would know.   641-357-2248

Offline Big Blue

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2637 on: Feb 07, 2017, 02:59 PM »
is the channel the bit between the small lake and the big lake?   the  guy at the dome bait shop said dont drive between the lakes or near the spillway...

Yes the channel is between the little lake and big lake. Dome was right, never drive through there. Guys have lost their life driving through the channel. The spillway is on the east side of the lake.

Offline Kelvin44ia

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2638 on: Feb 08, 2017, 03:40 PM »
Coming up this weekend for 1st time.
Any suggestions on where to start ?
I'll be trying to take crappies and
bluegills.  Thanks guys!

Offline prestonc

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2639 on: Feb 08, 2017, 06:05 PM »
You'll be in a crowd bud.  It's tournament weekend!  Unfortunately I have no advice to give

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.