Author Topic: Crosswind trail and recent reports?  (Read 2393 times)

Offline akjw7

• Team IceShanty Regular
Crosswind trail and recent reports?
« on: Mar 03, 2019, 02:02 AM »
Wanting to get out for a couple days of fishing (snow machines and arctic oven). Thinking of maybe crosswind, anyone have any recent reports and details on where the trail is? (I looked for it once on the way to lake Louise, but didn’t have enough details)

Any other snowmachine only suggestions? (Based out of Fairbanks)

Offline akmatt66

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Crosswind trail and recent reports?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 04, 2019, 09:33 PM »
The trail is in great shape but the fishing hasn't been good for me.  Three of us went out last weekend and caught six lakers total and one burbot and for me that's horrible. Fished from 16ft to 51ft best fishing in the 38ft to 48ft.  We set burbot boxes all over and only caught one, horrible.  Neg 24 every morning we were out there.

Offline Bushwhack Jack

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Mar 04, 2019, 09:49 PM »
The trail is in great shape but the fishing hasn't been good for me.  Three of us went out last weekend and caught six lakers total and one burbot and for me that's horrible. Fished from 16ft to 51ft best fishing in the 38ft to 48ft.  We set burbot boxes all over and only caught one, horrible.  Neg 24 every morning we were out there.

What do you mean by burbot boxes?  Not saying you are doing anything illegal, but just in case you weren't aware, set lines are illegal on crosswind, louise, and susitna lakes.  Tip-ups are fine as long as they are closely attended.  Never heard of burbot boxes so just making sure.  Sounds a little bit like set lines.

Offline akjw7

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Mar 05, 2019, 02:45 PM »
Thanks for the info!  I was planning to bring sets for burbot, but caught the regs stating they aren't allowed.   Might bring a couple tipups if I have room in the sled and can monitor them from wherever I end up setting up.

Forecast looks ok for this week, hopefully we miss the colder weather you had!

It's always touchy when someone might or might not know the rules - I for one am always thankful when someone double checks that I know the reg (bait, setlines, limits, etc.) we have complicated enough regs I'd rather have someone double check that I know it than not and then I find out I missed something from the trooper.

anyway - cheers and thanks for the update on the trail and the lake! Happy fishing!

Offline akjw7

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Mar 11, 2019, 11:11 AM »
Had a great trip with terrific weather. Trail from Tolsona was easy.

Fishing was slow, only a handful of lake trout - one mid size and the rest smaller. All released.  Zero burbot, same for another group we talked to.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.