The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Eskimo pistol bit with Ridgid drill  (Read 7661 times)

Offline bojango

• Team IceShanty Regular
Eskimo pistol bit with Ridgid drill
« on: Jan 01, 2020, 07:02 PM »
Just purchased the Eskimo pistol bit with a Ridgid hammer drill (750 in/lb torque with 4AH batteries). It cuts great.....when it's cutting. The drill cuts out every couple seconds. Is the drill not sufficient? Anyone else experience this? The drill meets the specs required from Eskimo

Offline river rat78

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Eskimo pistol bit with Ridgid drill
« Reply #1 on: Jan 01, 2020, 07:58 PM »
If it’s an 8” auger it may be slightly underpowered. I would go with the Ridgid octane. It has 1300lbs of torque

Offline PIKE FISHERMAN

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Precision Angling on YouTube. Maine based fishing!
« Reply #2 on: Jan 05, 2020, 06:11 PM »
750 is on the lower end of the recommended torque. My 1300 in lb Octane is a beast. What are your drill settings on? They should be setting 1, drill mode.
Precision Angling on YouTube. Maine based Bass, Pike, Fly fishing, Ice fishing, Brook fishing and Trolling. Feel free to follow along as I move through the Maine fishing seasons!!
My Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoA9o9knJAVeEkur3dDAMnA?view_as=subscriber

Offline Catchabigone

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 05, 2020, 06:56 PM »
Had the same problem with it cutting out all the time bought a 6" Lazer, cuts great with no problem.
Dear Lord, grant me the serenity to accept the size of the fish I catch, the courage not to lie about it and the wisdom to know that none of my fishing buddies would believe me anyway… Amen.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #4 on: Jan 05, 2020, 11:15 PM »
some one posted a video of that bit on the ridgid octane drill and compared it to the lazer same size and the lazer was both faster cutting and easier on the drill. you could hear the eskimo work the drill harder. probably because of the ring around the blades, but it could be attack angle or both. it was good to see so i know i won't buy an eskimo pistol bit, but it comes back to your drill being hard for it turn one.

like Catchabigone says it's too hard on the smaller drill.
a lazer 8" might work on it because it needs less torque to cut, but it's pushing the drill system a little hard. a lazer 7" probably would make a good match.. my brushed gen5x 780 works great on my 6" lazer.

if you upgrade the drill to the octane you'll want to upgrade the battery to the octane 9amp. be sure to buy the battery in a kit so you get the lsa. i ran a test cutting a hole with the older gen5x 4amp battery and the octane drill. it would make two turns and cut out. the battery overload was stopping the battery. was minus 40 windchill on that test day. returned the octane battery and it chewed up the ice like normal.

i still want to run another test with 9amp octane battery on the brushed 780" pound gen5x drill. this time the drill protect should kick in. if not, i'll get a new drill motor out of it.

Offline FlamDragger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 06, 2020, 01:41 AM »
https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=373723.0
The guy making the video chose the Pistol bit. I did too.

Offline PikeKing23

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Go Big or Go Home!
« Reply #6 on: Jan 06, 2020, 05:23 AM »

i still want to run another test with 9amp octane battery on the brushed 780" pound gen5x drill. this time the drill protect should kick in. if not, i'll get a new drill motor out of it.

I use this setup now and it won't (really) turn my 8" mora. The drill is under powered. Turns my 6" mora like a dream.

Offline badger132

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Apr 06, 2020, 03:05 PM »
I also use a Ridgid drill, and you might consider your batteries. The peak current that a battery can provide is related to:
1: size- larger capacity batteries have more cells in parallel, so they can provide more current. (subject to the limits of the electronics)
2: Temperature- they lose current capability when cold
3: Age: They wear out- hence the LSA. They don't completely die all at once, their capacity and current capability degrade with each charge cycle.

I had cutouts this year with my old 3AH batteries. Bought a new 9AH- what a difference! No problems even very cold, and I can drill 100 holes and still have 2 bars.

They had the 9AH in a kit with a charger for $89 this year. Treat yourself to one if they get down there again.

:tipup:

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Apr 07, 2020, 05:24 AM »
I have a little 525 in/lb ridged drill with 4ah batteries. Works great, 750 in/lbs is fine. The only times I had a problem with the motor cutting out was when I accidentally forgot to put it on the "1" setting. The "2" setting is for high speed, low torque usage and will stop the motor if it's over torqued.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.