The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Anyone use a 18V Electric Drill with a 10" Auger Bit - Looks like it would Work!  (Read 5752 times)

Offline Zip-in-Z

• IceShanty Rookie
I already have a 18V Hammer Drill & considering buying a 10" Ion auger bit for less than $150.00.

Has anyone tried this combo for drilling 10" holes, how would these 18V drills perform with the 10" ION auger bit?

I know the Ion auger is big & heavy, I'm hoping this combo would have no difficulty cutting through 10-12" ice maximum.

There's nothing on the Internet or YouTube for reference, it appears no one has attempted to do this.

Looking for some feedback.

Cheers

David

Offline lightningz

• Team IceShanty Regular
I’ve built 5 drill/auger setups over the past 2 years. All of them utilized the Clam plate and Milwaukee drills. The first one I built was for myself and I went with the Ion 8” bit and quick coupler. This setup works fantastic and it has never given me any issues. The next two were also using a Milwaukee drill drill and Clam plate. These two were built using the Ion 10” auger bits. These also have been great with zero issues. I also built 2 setups with old Mora 8” hand auger bits. These also have had zero issues. I elected to use the Ion quick coupler on my setups so I can swap bits and utilize the ice anchor tool. I hope  this answers your question.

Offline PIKE FISHERMAN

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Precision Angling on YouTube. Maine based fishing!
I just used my Ridgid Octane and Strikemaster 10" gas auger bit. It worked great. We had around 8" of when I tried them. Initially, I had just planned on messing around with the combo, but quickly realized how well it worked. I plan on using it early to mid season when I Pike or Lake Trout fish. Probably won't when we get 2+ ft of ice.

Heres a video of me using the 10" if interested:

Precision Angling on YouTube. Maine based Bass, Pike, Fly fishing, Ice fishing, Brook fishing and Trolling. Feel free to follow along as I move through the Maine fishing seasons!!
My Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoA9o9knJAVeEkur3dDAMnA?view_as=subscriber

Offline Zip-in-Z

• IceShanty Rookie
I’ve built 5 drill/auger setups over the past 2 years. All of them utilized the Clam plate and Milwaukee drills. The first one I built was for myself and I went with the Ion 8” bit and quick coupler. This setup works fantastic and it has never given me any issues. The next two were also using a Milwaukee drill drill and Clam plate. These two were built using the Ion 10” auger bits. These also have been great with zero issues. I also built 2 setups with old Mora 8” hand auger bits. These also have had zero issues. I elected to use the Ion quick coupler on my setups so I can swap bits and utilize the ice anchor tool. I hope  this answers your question.

Many tks for the reply & confirmation an Ion 10" auger bit will work with Milwaukee 18V drill. 

I currently use an old Jiffy Model 30 and drill two sometimes three 10" connected holes.  Have you ever tried drilling connected holes with your Milwaukee & 10" Ion  ..... how did it work?

Look forward to a reply.

Cheers

David

Offline Zip-in-Z

• IceShanty Rookie
I just used my Ridgid Octane and Strikemaster 10" gas auger bit. It worked great. We had around 8" of when I tried them. Initially, I had just planned on messing around with the combo, but quickly realized how well it worked. I plan on using it early to mid season when I Pike or Lake Trout fish. Probably won't when we get 2+ ft of ice.

Heres a video of me using the 10" if interested:

PIKE FISHERMAN ... appreciate the reply & I really enjoyed watching your video, that 10" auger cut no different than a 8" auger bit, I smiled! 

I have the same Q for you as I asked Lightningz, have you ever drilled two or three connected holes, would the auger perform or perhaps bind similar to what happened in your first hole attempt ?

I normally fish for 2 weeks of hard water before we depart to California for the winter, we might get 10-12" ice perhaps 14" if we had an exceptionally cold November, do you think the 10" auger would have any problems going through 12-14" ice ?

As well, wondering how it would perform going through a frozen layer white ice then some flood water then clear ice. I think it might struggle a bit more .... thoughts ?

Look forward to a reply.

Cheers

David

Offline lightningz

• Team IceShanty Regular
I’ve never drilled connecting holes with my setup,, but my buddy that has one of the 10” setups that I built does it for Trout fishing. He has never said anything about having trouble with it.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
david, which drill do you currently have and which batteries? there should only be a few drills that will work good enough on a 10" bit. both are mentioned here already.

Offline Zip-in-Z

• IceShanty Rookie
david, which drill do you currently have and which batteries? there should only be a few drills that will work good enough on a 10" bit. both are mentioned here already.

The Milwaukee 2804 Hammer Drill with the M18 5 amp batteries.

lightningz suggested his buddy drilled connecting holes, have you tried it with your unit ?

Tks

David

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
i use the ridgid octane. it has another 100 inch pounds and lifetime warranty, but i do use some milwaukee tools that ridged does not make. milwaukee had their 1200" pound drill out for almost two years before ridgid made one with the higher torque like milwaukee has had. being i have more ridgid batteries, i stay with them mainly.

i can say the octane drill does need the 9 amp octane battery to get the 1300 inch pounds from the tool. i tried 4 amp non octane batteries and it failed big time. got maybe two turns on a 8" brand new lazer. it was minus 40 wind chill that day.

i am not certain, but i would think that the milwaukee 2804 or current highest torque drill made would benefit from their 9 amp battery over their 5 amp battery. the more amp's in a battery, the longer the run times are also.
the thing is that we don't know what the max amp draw is for our drills, we only know what the max amp out is on our batteries. milwaukee also makes a 12amp.

i used to overlap holes with my smaller lazer bits, but after time it destroyed a 6" lazer. i installed new blades to make sure it wasn't the problem. it probably could be tuned back into shape.
 i ended up buying another 6" lazer while owning a smaller inch pound ridgid drill that is 780" pounds.
the 8" hole i use now is plenty big enough and no reason now to overlap 6's. so i don't have or need a 10" hole.

the bigger bits do have (like my 8" bit) the dog legs to help hold the cutting angle so they may be able to overlap for a longer period of time before deforming the cutting angle. the bits that have the ring around the blades i think would hold up the best.

Offline PIKE FISHERMAN

• Team IceShanty Maniac
PIKE FISHERMAN ... appreciate the reply & I really enjoyed watching your video, that 10" auger cut no different than a 8" auger bit, I smiled! 

I have the same Q for you as I asked Lightningz, have you ever drilled two or three connected holes, would the auger perform or perhaps bind similar to what happened in your first hole attempt ?

I normally fish for 2 weeks of hard water before we depart to California for the winter, we might get 10-12" ice perhaps 14" if we had an exceptionally cold November, do you think the 10" auger would have any problems going through 12-14" ice ?

As well, wondering how it would perform going through a frozen layer white ice then some flood water then clear ice. I think it might struggle a bit more .... thoughts ?

Look forward to a reply.

Cheers

David

Im 100% confident the Octane - SM 10" will make through 16-24" of ice no problem. Like I said on that first hole, I feathered off the trigger a little because it was cutting so fast and easy. As far as a little slush pocket, im sure it would do fine with that as well.

As far as the overlapping holes with the 10" , im fairly confident it will work, but haven't tired it.  I did use my 8" SM Lite Flite with over lapping holes and that worked awesome. I can give the 10" a try here soon. May be a week or so but ill try it and report back. 
Precision Angling on YouTube. Maine based Bass, Pike, Fly fishing, Ice fishing, Brook fishing and Trolling. Feel free to follow along as I move through the Maine fishing seasons!!
My Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoA9o9knJAVeEkur3dDAMnA?view_as=subscriber

Offline lightningz

• Team IceShanty Regular
I would have to agree with what Pike Fisherman says. All the Ion bits that we use have the solid ring around the cutting edge and it probably does ease the strain on the cutting edge.

I use an older model Milwaukee 2704 with a 9ah battery for my 8” Ion bit. All the other setups I made were with the 2804 with 9ah batteries.

I know that there are probably drills that have more than the 1200 in.lbs. of torque, but like Pike Fisherman said it’s the system that I already have.

I’ve heard that some people have had trouble with the blades snapping in half on their Ion bits. Myself or my buddies haven’t had any problems with that happening. That problem could be from improper use or perhaps not having the blades laying flat on the mating surface.

Offline Zip-in-Z

• IceShanty Rookie
3300 & Lightnings …. Tks for the recommendations, found a few 9 ah Milwaukee batteries on E-Bay for less than $68.00 shipped, price appears to be fair & reasonable.  My buddy had an Ion 10” he never snapped any blades just complained about how they never kept a sharp edge, he went to a 8” Strike Master Lite-Flite Lazer, I used it in December but found the two  8” overlapped holes were to just too small for sight fishing Walleye, Whitefish & Perch.

Pike Fisherman …. really would appreciate an update when you have a chance to drill a few overlapping 10" holes.

I’m now leaning toward the 10” StrikeMaster Lazer auger bit Model LPD-10 vs the 10” Ion,  they’re a bit more money but I believe the blades are better and I understand they’re a little lighter, too. 

Tks again for the valuable first hand info, it’s greatly appreciated.

Cheers

David

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
one thing to maybe reconsider or at least look into is if the ebay seller is an authorized seller for milwaukee. pretty sure he/she is not. if not, then no warranty when/if needed. all batteries do wear out and milwaukee trigger switches do wear out some what quickly for some. i just had mine replaced in under 2 years. the man at the counter asked if i bought it from amazon because if so milwaukee would not honor their warranty. i think the best way to find out is call milwaukee or email them and ask them. that is if a warranty means anything to you. maybe for 68$ you'll just toss them when they won't perform well enough to use.

the switch is supposed to be variable speed and when they act up they are not variable. it's more like full on and nothing in between. as if they are dirty or contaminated.
fyi normally tools have 5 year warranty and batteries have 3 years on milwaukee brand. ridgid is lifetime for both.

i trust home depot and only buy from them. i like their 90 day hassle free returns and support companies who support us. they always take care of any issues that come up. being able to deal with them in person one on one is important to me. you can buy online and take back to their store for example. something else to think about using them is if you have 90 days, keep an eye out for deals on what you already bought and have them price match. if they say they will not, then just return the item and buy it at the cheaper rate. i had to tell a home depot counter worker that they have to price match for the 90 days and explain why. just hold onto the packaging during that time.

example of deals they run is they had a 200$ 9amp ridgid octane battery and a 50$ charger for sale for 99$ one day only recently. so i bought 2 more 9amp octane batteries for 198$ and registered them for their lifetime warranty.

i picked up a 9amp milwaukee from them when it became on sale for my 1/2 impact that only came with a 5amp. i think i paid 99$ and it came with a dual port charger that charges 12v also. i use their cordless solder iron and cordless ratchets that use 12v batteries.

Offline Zip-in-Z

• IceShanty Rookie
3300 ... tks for the suggestion, I checked the Sellers E-Bay listing, he's located in Plainfield, Illinois, his add says his Battery is a    Lithium-Ion (Li-Ion)   Capacity:   9000mAh  Model: M18  Warranty: 5 years + 60 days money back , for $68.67 or Best Offer shipped to my door where I'm hiding from winter in Palm Springs, is very reasonable.  Will most likely do the BIN on the 9 ah battery and hope it all works together with whatever auger bit I end up buying and get back on the ice when I get home in early April.    

Cheers

David

Offline Zip-in-Z

• IceShanty Rookie
Im 100% confident the Octane - SM 10" will make through 16-24" of ice no problem. Like I said on that first hole, I feathered off the trigger a little because it was cutting so fast and easy. As far as a little slush pocket, im sure it would do fine with that as well.

As far as the overlapping holes with the 10" , im fairly confident it will work, but haven't tired it.  I did use my 8" SM Lite Flite with over lapping holes and that worked awesome. I can give the 10" a try here soon. May be a week or so but ill try it and report back.

PIKE FISHERMAN .... I started a similar thread back home in Alberta, no one there has experimented with a Strikemaster 10" lazer auger with a 18V electric drill, looking forward to your update on how the combo performed on overlapping holes.

Cheers

David

Offline PIKE FISHERMAN

• Team IceShanty Maniac
PIKE FISHERMAN .... I started a similar thread back home in Alberta, no one there has experimented with a Strikemaster 10" lazer auger with a 18V electric drill, looking forward to your update on how the combo performed on overlapping holes.

Cheers

David

I tried it today. Worked perfectly. No problem at all. Went through 12" of ice. No biting, grabbing, or over torquing of the wrist.

Offline shawno

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Team Saskatchewan
By chance you are in luck!!

IS member Dtro just posted a video on that exact setup tonight. Here is the link:

https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=373950.msg4039578#msg4039578

Cheers,

shawno

Offline Zip-in-Z

• IceShanty Rookie
I tried it today. Worked perfectly. No problem at all. Went through 12" of ice. No biting, grabbing, or over torquing of the wrist.

Pike Fisherman .... many tks for the follow-up reply, I'm extremely pleased to read No Issues with drilling overlapping 10" holes with the StrikeMaster 10" auger bit.

By chance you are in luck!!

IS member Dtro just posted a video on that exact setup tonight. Here is the link:

https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=373950.msg4039578#msg4039578

Cheers,

shawno

Shawno .... Tks a bunch for the post & link to Drto's video, I watched & got excited when I seen him drill those two 10" overlapping holes. Going to advise my fishin buddies back home on Alberta Outdoors of my findings.

Tks all for your advice & assistance, it's greatly appreciated.

Cheers

David

Offline Zip-in-Z

• IceShanty Rookie
 Tks all for the help, pulled the trigger & ordered everything I need which was delivered to my door in Palm Springs, back home in mid-April to demo everything for next ice season.

Milwaukee 2804-22 M18V Fuel with two 5 ah batteries - $200.00
Spare Milwaukee knock-off 9 ah battery - $51.00
StrikeMaster 10” Lazer Ice Auger Drill LPD-10 - $179.99
Custom Drill Adapter - $23.95
All in for $455.00 USD and covered by a bunch of my old golf club sales, nice.

Cheers

David

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
whats going to hold the auger from going down the hole when the chuck lets go of it? happens, ask me how i know.

Offline Zip-in-Z

• IceShanty Rookie
Reeds Sports in Walker Mn sell the OEM 8" Strikemaster "Flange/Disk" for $6.00, but it's too small for the 10" auger.

Got that covered .... Walmart Frisbee & retainer clamp. 

Trust you were able to fish it back out?

D.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
good deal.

yes i did. bungee got wet on my kovac icemaster and snapped (hurt my fingers) and had ice in the chuck so it let loose. bought 2 large magnets from harbor freight. one located it and started to lift it, but too much silt for one to hold on so i used the other end of the rope tied to the other magnet and dropped it while holding one end of the auger up enough for other magnet to get a clean contact with it.
had a camera on my lx9 guiding me.

bought some bungee cord on amazon and replaced the broken section by tying knots on each end. you could make your own out of a cutting board and make a disc and drill 2 holes on opposite sides and run bungee cord thru the holes. the bungee just stretches up and over the heel of the drill. takes some of the weight off of the chuck too.

Offline Zip-in-Z

• IceShanty Rookie
3300 .... pleased to read you were able to rescue it.

A plastic cutting board would work, the MRS. has a few, at least I've got an option, novel idea!

I would agree using a bungee over the drill would take some of the weight/stress off the chuck, my buddy did that with his 8" StrikeMaster lazer, so it wouldn't drop off.

Appreciate the suggestion,

Cheers

D.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.