The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: 6” mini Nero clam plate or not  (Read 1092 times)

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
6” mini Nero clam plate or not
« on: Dec 07, 2019, 01:32 PM »
6” mini Nero do I need a plate or not?
Keep it safe! JDL

Offline wallydiven

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: 6” mini Nero clam plate or not
« Reply #1 on: Dec 07, 2019, 01:35 PM »
Nope.

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #2 on: Dec 07, 2019, 02:03 PM »
Lots of folks saying I do. I disagree just looking for support!
Keep it safe! JDL

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Dec 07, 2019, 02:18 PM »
Lots of folks saying I do. I disagree just looking for support!
Keep it safe! JDL

Nope, not even close
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #4 on: Dec 07, 2019, 02:23 PM »
I don't believe the Nero has a center point ..so adding a plate may offer more stability ..especially on glare ice . To each there own ..I love my Clam Plate on my K-Drill ..no learning curve as opposed to using that Nero handle . I recently bought the HT E-Drill Which has a centerpoint and has a handle similar to the Nero ..after I added my Milwaukee 2804 ..the set up doesn't feel "right" to me ...I haven't had ice to test out all the drill stability/handle combination/options..but sure I will land on the Clam Plate ..with the number two choice being the Milwaukee side handle..the E-Drill handle can be removed via a snap ring pretty EZPZ.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Dec 07, 2019, 02:53 PM »
The clam plate makes it feel like your using a “real” power auger, and adds stability. Mostly important with the 7 and 8” augers with the support bars on the flights, they really grab when they hit bottom of the ice if your not careful. If you get use to and are comfortable with your drill with the side handle or that one that comes with these augers, then go for it.

Offline laer0302

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 17, 2019, 05:14 PM »
I've used my 7" Nero with and without a Clam Plate. I prefer using it without the plate, as it saves weight. I also removed that side handle included with the auger, and just use side handle that came with my drill. The main reason I wanted the plate was so I can rest the auger on the snow/ice on the plate when not in use, but I'd rather save the weight.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #7 on: Dec 17, 2019, 05:24 PM »
I like the plate for a few reasons.not losing my auger down the hole,control,keeps drill off the ice and i dont want my side handle broken off my drill,but for smaller augers its not needed.i run a 8” mora and it can get grab pretty hard on break thru.plus i dont need any injuries to me at all as i have no insurance.the plate doesn’t weigh much.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.