Author Topic: Reading bottom with helix 7 G2.  (Read 992 times)

Offline Remps17

• Team IceShanty Regular
Reading bottom with helix 7 G2.
« on: Oct 11, 2020, 11:58 AM »
I have ice fished for my whole life but this will be the first year with electronics. I purchased a used helix 7 ice G2 this year.

I was wondering if you are able to tell from soft bottom to hard bottom or weeds with the helix 7? I don’t have a camera so I can’t confirm what the bottom is.

Thanks for the help.

Cheers.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: Reading bottom with helix 7 G2.
« Reply #1 on: Oct 11, 2020, 12:20 PM »
If there is a "flasher" mode . ...once in flasher mode you need to set the reading to twice or three times the actual depth ..then you will see the double echo or triple echo ...as the signal bounces back and forth between bottom of ice and  bottom of the lake. More/stronger(red) echoes the harder the bottom . Its best to test this out on a known hard bottom so you can see what your finder "sees". The video below shows you what you will see normally and its interruption ...doulbe the sonar depth and youll see another return ...meaning more hardness

Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #2 on: Oct 11, 2020, 03:10 PM »
With a hard botton you will get a double or maybe triple reading when you increase the gain as HD said. A soft bottom looks mottled and not as sharp. Weeds will show above the bottom.  You didn't say if you have been using sonar and if so what type. In flasher mode hard bottom looks thinner than soft bottom. I think that is because a hard bottom returns more of the sonar signal. Hard bottom will give you a second bottom reading when the gain is turned up. There are quite a few videos online. I am still getting used to my Helix 7 G2 since I don't get on the ice as often as I would like.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #3 on: Oct 11, 2020, 03:16 PM »
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Oct 12, 2020, 08:33 AM »
it'll depend on how you have the helix setup too.

You can setup the sonar view to use Structure ID or WhiteLine for bottom view - both display bottom hardness differently. Structure ID works best for ice fishing imo

Catchin' Fish

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.