Author Topic: Battery question  (Read 1061 times)

Offline TickleStick

• Team IceShanty Addict
Battery question
« on: Oct 08, 2020, 08:58 PM »
I want to run my Helix 5, glow cup and a small led light (4 small led strip) from the same battery.

Is there anything I need to know before hand and will connecting it double piggyback cause any problems?

I haven't hooked up the wires for the led lights yet or pressed the spade connections in all the way....
Pic for reference
WINTER IS COMING!

Offline wirenut45

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Battery question
« Reply #1 on: Oct 09, 2020, 05:55 AM »
you shouldn,t have any problems with the shown  setup. those connectors will easily carry the small current load of all of the things you mention. if  memory serves, the red insul conns. will carry 10 amp, blue- 15 amp, yellow- 20 amp min.  wire

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Oct 09, 2020, 07:27 AM »
My only concern with that setup would be the lack of insulation...
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #3 on: Oct 09, 2020, 08:38 PM »
Not insulated could be a problem and it looks a bit fragile. A more simple, durable arrangement would be to make your own "Y" cable with a single male crimped to a pair of female pigtails. All insulated and very flexible.
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline TickleStick

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Oct 09, 2020, 09:00 PM »
Maybe splicing the two light wires together would be best.

That would remove the middle spade connector in the middle (in the image)

I just don't want to some how fry my fish finder....
WINTER IS COMING!

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #5 on: Oct 10, 2020, 07:19 AM »
Cant see the picture all to well but piggy back clips should be what your looking for

https://www.amazon.com/Ancor-230613-Electrical-Male-Female-Adapter/dp/B000NI1G0C
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline PIKE FISHERMAN

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Precision Angling on YouTube. Maine based fishing!
« Reply #6 on: Oct 10, 2020, 08:40 AM »
Only thing I’d consider is adding inline fuses to protect whatever your piggybacking
Precision Angling on YouTube. Maine based Bass, Pike, Fly fishing, Ice fishing, Brook fishing and Trolling. Feel free to follow along as I move through the Maine fishing seasons!!
My Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoA9o9knJAVeEkur3dDAMnA?view_as=subscriber

Offline TickleStick

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Oct 10, 2020, 12:54 PM »
Only thing I’d consider is adding inline fuses to protect whatever your piggybacking

I wonder why Humminbird would send their ice units without a fuse already added to the power wire????

WINTER IS COMING!

Offline TickleStick

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Oct 10, 2020, 12:56 PM »
I'm just gonna run the finder and glow cup, that is what I did the last couple of years, if I need light I will have it seperate.
WINTER IS COMING!

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #9 on: Oct 10, 2020, 06:25 PM »
I wonder why Humminbird would send their ice units without a fuse already added to the power wire????

Most of the locators I've bought new over the years have a fused deal to add inline to the power. I upgraded from the old glass tubes to the newer auto style fuses by buying a bag of fuse holders so I can add/upgrade as I need to more available fuse replacements.
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline mushroom_capd_1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Oct 10, 2020, 09:32 PM »
I sort of fried  my battery, battery gauge, and flexlight I had with the piggyback connectors when I bumped the charger wire and it jumped over to the other connector and sparked. The battery gauge and flexlight were pretty much toast. the battery still worked, but it didn't charge as well as it originally did. Yeah, you are probably better off just splicing wires together and putting an inline fuse if it doesn't already have one. A few extra bucks on an inline fuse holder and connectors will help protect your investment.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.