Author Topic: Pflueger is now making Inline Ice Reels, Including the classic President!  (Read 9780 times)

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
I just looked at Sportsman's Guide, where I got all my Presidents on sale. Still $65. They sure ain't giving 'em away.
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline WalleyeJohn

• IceShanty Rookie
Just a heads up on these reels.  According to factory rep, they will redesign them in 2021(President and Trion).  The push button on the side does not stay in when pressed to release the free spool like most other reels with similar designs.  You can operate the free spool by holding in on the button, however, it makes it a little awkward.  We have some in our shop but are in process of returning them.  Too bad because it is a nice design other than that.  Nice that it is switchable from LH  to RH

Offline defish

• Team IceShanty Regular
Just a heads up on these reels.  According to factory rep, they will redesign them in 2021(President and Trion).  The push button on the side does not stay in when pressed to release the free spool like most other reels with similar designs.  You can operate the free spool by holding in on the button, however, it makes it a little awkward.  We have some in our shop but are in process of returning them.  Too bad because it is a nice design other than that.  Nice that it is switchable from LH  to RH

Are they defective, or did they intentionally make them with the hold-in-the-button design?  Thanks for the heads up John!

Offline True North

• IceShanty Rookie
Looks like next year for the Pflueger in-line for me (disappointed), going to grab a ghost as I have used the Shakespeare and the Frabill versions of inline reels and like em. There is a learning curve but for hub jigging perch and eyes for me, inlines work better than spins. I use a lot of jigging lures (Rapala) and spoons, the inline reels are far better with em.
Dead stick a Okuma bait runner on a 36” Fenwick stick (deadly on eyes)
Thank you for the heads up on that reel WalleyeJohn
Enjoy your life while you’re here, because you’re dead a powerful long time (Twain)

Offline WalleyeJohn

• IceShanty Rookie
Are they defective, or did they intentionally make them with the hold-in-the-button design?  Thanks for the heads up John!
I wouldn't say defective, more of a design flaw, hence the redesign in 2021.  Don't get me wrong they still work as a reel.  I just found it awkward to hold in the button for the freespool and I think that will be taken care of in the new design. If you own one already and can't return, I would contact Pflueger and see what they will do.

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I wouldn't say defective, more of a design flaw, hence the redesign in 2021.  Don't get me wrong they still work as a reel.  I just found it awkward to hold in the button for the freespool and I think that will be taken care of in the new design. If you own one already and can't return, I would contact Pflueger and see what they will do.

the nice thing about Pflueger - they never stop refining their products

Catchin' Fish

Offline Junkie4Ice

• Team IceShanty Addict

I hope they modify the push button as a whole. It is almost identical to the frabill 371 push button which was too easy to engage causing backlash during transport unless you had a rod case that allows the reels to hang down. I loved the 371 if it wasn't for that worthless push button.
Da Pack!

Offline TKfishing

• IceShanty Rookie
How did the "free spool Lock" feature work on the reel? Seems like that may have been the answer to the issue seen on the Frabill 371.. Disappointed too as I was hoping to pick one of these up this season!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.