Author Topic: StrikeMaster Lite Flite v Nils v KDrill v Pistol Bit. Thoughts for new anglers  (Read 5638 times)

Offline PIKE FISHERMAN

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Precision Angling on YouTube. Maine based fishing!
So with the upcoming ice season coming up fast (already here for some folks,) I got a bunch of questions about which auger I like better, my Nils, or the Lite Flite. I took some time and reviewed both my Nils Ice Auger and my new StrikeMaster Lite Flite. I also reviewed  some basic specs and pros and cons of the KDrill and Eskimo Pistol Bit. I answer the question, which do I like best for use with a cordless drill??
Precision Angling on YouTube. Maine based Bass, Pike, Fly fishing, Ice fishing, Brook fishing and Trolling. Feel free to follow along as I move through the Maine fishing seasons!!
My Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoA9o9knJAVeEkur3dDAMnA?view_as=subscriber

Offline hawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
That’s 11 minutes of life I’ll never get back. Comparing products you’ve never used and forming opinions based on what you’ve heard, unbelievable. Sorry, that was bad.

Offline cavecat

• IceShanty Rookie
Thanks for the review. I thought it was excellent!!

Offline PIKE FISHERMAN

• Team IceShanty Maniac
That’s 11 minutes of life I’ll never get back. Comparing products you’ve never used and forming opinions based on what you’ve heard, unbelievable. Sorry, that was bad.
Haha!! Tried to keep it as basic as I could, and make it clear I hadn't used the KDrill or Pistol Bit. Theres a ton of new fisherman out there that don't know which direction to go, so I did my best. Thanks for taking the time to watch tho, I appreciate it.
Precision Angling on YouTube. Maine based Bass, Pike, Fly fishing, Ice fishing, Brook fishing and Trolling. Feel free to follow along as I move through the Maine fishing seasons!!
My Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoA9o9knJAVeEkur3dDAMnA?view_as=subscriber

Offline PIKE FISHERMAN

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Thanks for the review. I thought it was excellent!!
Thanks. Its definitely a hard topic to cover.

Offline stinkyfingers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
We're born, we live for a while, and then we die.  Sounds like a good reason to go ice fishing.
                                                               Stinky

Offline PIKE FISHERMAN

• Team IceShanty Maniac

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Good review ..its always nice to have choices . There is no best auger ..but there is a best auger for you.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline PIKE FISHERMAN

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Good review ..its always nice to have choices . There is no best auger ..but there is a best auger for you.
Definitely. Well said

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Nice review.

In my opinion, the options for powered augers, good and effective power augers, are many with the advent of the new generation of battery powered drills and new “drill ready” augers from many quality manufacturers. The bottom line is that there are many affordable and quality choices.

Now...once we wander back to “hand powered” that list shrinks dramatically and Nils has a huge advantage over most of the competitors.

Because I fish in the BWCA and motorized augers aren’t allowed,  Nils is still high on my list.

Thank you for putting up with my ranting,

Gunflint
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline cavecat

• IceShanty Rookie
I am thinking about selling my 6" Nils and purchsing the Strike Master  8" lite flight. I have the Strikemaster 40v and I love it. I have had issues with the Nils Blades.

Offline PIKE FISHERMAN

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Nice review.

In my opinion, the options for powered augers, good and effective power augers, are many with the advent of the new generation of battery powered drills and new “drill ready” augers from many quality manufacturers. The bottom line is that there are many affordable and quality choices.

Now...once we wander back to “hand powered” that list shrinks dramatically and Nils has a huge advantage over most of the competitors.

Because I fish in the BWCA and motorized augers aren’t allowed,  Nils is still high on my list.

Thank you for putting up with my ranting,

Gunflint
Agreed on both. When it comes to hand augers, I haven't seen one that cuts like a Nils!! And all 4 I reviewed, will get you fishing!!

Offline PIKE FISHERMAN

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I am thinking about selling my 6" Nils and purchsing the Strike Master  8" lite flight. I have the Strikemaster 40v and I love it. I have had issues with the Nils Blades.
I want the 40v bad!! You won't be disappointed with the SM LF if you go that route.

Offline JTRCNC

• IceShanty Rookie
Thank you for your review and taking the time to do it.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
 Wasn't a bad video, but I think it left plenty of things /options on the nils out, that people might find valuable.

For instance nils offers a power point cutting head which would give it a center point.

If the concern is weight, one of the flights could be taken out and replaced with a pipe, making it lighter and the flights on it more Comparable to the lite flite

Also was left out the extentions on a nils are flighted, and are added to the bottom allowing you to make an auger however long you wanted to.

What would really be cool is if nils would come out with different type/style cutting heads. Like a chipper style or a flat blade shaver style cutting head with replaceable blades.

We all know what the best auger is already.......the one that is sharp...lol

Offline PIKE FISHERMAN

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Thank you for your review and taking the time to do it.
Your welcome!

Offline PIKE FISHERMAN

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Wasn't a bad video, but I think it left plenty of things /options on the nils out, that people might find valuable.

For instance nils offers a power point cutting head which would give it a center point.

If the concern is weight, one of the flights could be taken out and replaced with a pipe, making it lighter and the flights on it more Comparable to the lite flite

Also was left out the extentions on a nils are flighted, and are added to the bottom allowing you to make an auger however long you wanted to.

What would really be cool is if nils would come out with different type/style cutting heads. Like a chipper style or a flat blade shaver style cutting head with replaceable blades.

We all know what the best auger is already.......the one that is sharp...lol
All good points!! I didn't even know Nils made a power point version. I'll be sure to add all these to a future video I do on the Nils!! Thanks for the input!

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
You should probably remove the kdrill and pistol bit from your title as you have no experience with them and didnt actually compare them.
Official Member of The G.I.T.s, Gods In Training 1/2014
The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad.

Offline PIKE FISHERMAN

• Team IceShanty Maniac
You should probably remove the kdrill and pistol bit from your title as you have no experience with them and didnt actually compare them.
Fair enough. Not going to remove anything from my title tho. I went over some objective points of both the KDrill and Pistol Bit, that don't need to be supported by a hands on trial. Weight is wt, length is length, price is price, battery consumption reports all over the internet with the KDrill is just that.  This was meant to offer new fisherman some insight on 4 of the most popular augers. Thanks for the recommendation tho!

Offline E.C

• IceShanty Rookie
I purchased the nils 8in treckker about a week ago to use with my Milwaukee fuel. I have been having second thoughts and considering the strikemaster lite flight. I like the the idea of it being less weight and less expensive blade replacements. Ive heard that the lazer blades can get stuck/jolted at the bottom of the hole. Can anyone confirm this? Would appreciate any other advice between the two. I can still return the nils if I change my mind.

Offline PIKE FISHERMAN

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I purchased the nils 8in treckker about a week ago to use with my Milwaukee fuel. I have been having second thoughts and considering the strikemaster lite flight. I like the the idea of it being less weight and less expensive blade replacements. Ive heard that the lazer blades can get stuck/jolted at the bottom of the hole. Can anyone confirm this? Would appreciate any other advice between the two. I can still return the nils if I change my mind.
I didn’t experience this with my LF. I assume there is a difference between the Lazer, and lite flite blades. The look close, but my guess is the LF cut a little better.

Offline cavecat

• IceShanty Rookie
Great question EC! I would call Strikemaster with that question! I didn't see any special baldes for the LF on their website.

Offline grubdropper

• Team IceShanty Regular
In your video there was some noticeable wobble in the shaft.  Is that correctable by tightening up the bolt to the adaptor?   

Offline PIKE FISHERMAN

• Team IceShanty Maniac
In your video there was some noticeable wobble in the shaft.  Is that correctable by tightening up the bolt to the adaptor?
If your referring to my last video where I pointed out the wobble between the adaptor and shaft on the LF, then yes, I fixed it by tightening the screw another 1/4 - 1/2”. Completely tight now. If your not questioning that, then I’m not sure what wobbly your asking about.

Offline grubdropper

• Team IceShanty Regular
Yes that was my question.  Thanks for answering and the excellent videos you produce.

Offline PIKE FISHERMAN

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Yes that was my question.  Thanks for answering and the excellent videos you produce.
Great. 100% my fault. I thought I had it tightened, but it needed another 1/4 turn or so to lock it in tight.

Offline NateD

• Team IceShanty Addict
All good points!! I didn't even know Nils made a power point version. I'll be sure to add all these to a future video I do on the Nils!! Thanks for the input!

I have it and its been in the shed unused for awhile, gets dull or "misaligned" even faster than the normal version.

Offline hnd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
i don't know why everyone is up in arms, you didn't actually use the drills, just kind of ran down the concensus pros and cons of each of the drills.  why you bought these 2 and not the other 2. 

for me, i've used all but the strikemaster. my experience is mostly dirty river/farm run off ice. 

nils - cuts fast but is definitlly obviously heavier than the others. 
non center point pistol bit - that thing walked like a mother.  got noticeably duller after a half a season use. 
k drill - starts off slower but as regular blades dull it catches up.  Does use more battery than the others.  5.0AH battery i got about 1000" of ice out of it.  same gun same charged battery, we got about 1250" of ice out of it.   

really the k drill is just a different animal than the other 2 lite flight augers. 

for the average angler who just gets out on the weekend and drills 10-20 holes, find the best price and you'll be happy.   using a good drill you got sitting in the workshop/garage and pairing it with one of these things is easily the smartest decision you can make as an ice angler. 

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
i don't know why everyone is up in arms, you didn't actually use the drills, just kind of ran down the concensus pros and cons of each of the drills.  why you bought these 2 and not the other 2. 

for me, i've used all but the strikemaster. my experience is mostly dirty river/farm run off ice. 

nils - cuts fast but is definitlly obviously heavier than the others. 
non center point pistol bit - that thing walked like a mother.  got noticeably duller after a half a season use. 
k drill - starts off slower but as regular blades dull it catches up.  Does use more battery than the others.  5.0AH battery i got about 1000" of ice out of it.  same gun same charged battery, we got about 1250" of ice out of it.   

really the k drill is just a different animal than the other 2 lite flight augers. 

for the average angler who just gets out on the weekend and drills 10-20 holes, find the best price and you'll be happy.   using a good drill you got sitting in the workshop/garage and pairing it with one of these things is easily the smartest decision you can make as an ice angler.

Like I said earlier, there are many good manufacturers of battery-drill compatible augers. There are several good battery-powered drill manufacturers. Many good options at very good price points compared to the past.
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
What kills me is that most of these augers all cut about the same. One may be a second or two faster than others but its nothing noticeable.

The big selling point on these is supposedly their weight.. Which may not be as light as many of you think..

The 6" Kdrill weighs in at around 4lb 5oz..$239
The 6" Pistol bit is around 3lb 2oz..$180
The 6" Lite Flite is right around 4lb 4oz.. $180

My 6" 50$ Mora is right at about 4lb 4oz...And they can be found used for about 20$.. A spare set of blades will run you around 15-20$ as well.

Official Member of The G.I.T.s, Gods In Training 1/2014
The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.