The ice fishing MN boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: New MN Members Check in Here!  (Read 174273 times)

Offline MN Ryder

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: New MN Members Check in Here!
« Reply #540 on: Jan 13, 2013, 07:07 PM »
Thanks for the advice on posting.  Up till now my fishing has been limited to open water with the boat & canoe so I am familiar with some lakes & rivers in the area.  Now I'm using a Frabill Trekker Max & really like this set-up.  For the younger guys on this forum, you may be surprised that I fished out of a portable back in the late 60s/early 70s, took a lot of big crappies, perch & bass with that rig!

Henry

Offline blacknblue2360

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #541 on: Jan 13, 2013, 09:33 PM »
HI, I live in the Western Minneapolis suburbs, and I ice fish as much as I can. I try to take my friends out as much as they are able to in my portable. They have kids, and I have yet been able to talk them into going when he gets to see his son. The other works weird hours. I have a brother that is geting back into ice fishing, and he seems to like it.
Other than that I am trying to learn about more lakes up by Brainerd. I mostly fish Western Minnesota.
My favorite ice fishing is going after perch, crappie,then walleye. Northerns are great cubed, and cooked in a fondue pot. Otherwise,cooking small pieces of any fish breaded in a skillet with Virgin Olive oil,garlic, butter, and sliced potatoes,onion.. is great by my standards. Maybe top it off with shreded cheese once on the plate. Depends on the mood.

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #542 on: Jan 13, 2013, 09:41 PM »
There are many really good lakes up by Brainerd... If you are gonna focus on an area, that's a good one.

Offline blacknblue2360

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Waconia report please
« Reply #543 on: Jan 15, 2013, 09:05 PM »
Can any one help out with a Waconia report. I would like to take a friend out there Saturday morning.
Thank You

Offline blacknblue2360

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Thorne Bros. Ice fishing Rods
« Reply #544 on: Jan 19, 2013, 08:53 PM »
Would like input on Thorne Bros. Ice fishing rods. Are they really worth thier price ?

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #545 on: Jan 19, 2013, 09:54 PM »
http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?board=31.0

You could ask in the jigging section, or run a search here on iceshanty.

Offline crappiehuntertoo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #546 on: Jan 20, 2013, 02:40 PM »
Hi,
I fish the grand rapids area and like to find crappies,perch and big sunnies.

Offline Hard Ice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #547 on: Jan 20, 2013, 02:47 PM »
Welcome to I.S
Hard Ice

Offline giveamanafish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #548 on: Jan 20, 2013, 05:22 PM »
hey, my friends call me Ed,  I live in the cities and fish mostly on the north east side. because it's close to home.
Been staring at holes in the ice longer than I care to think about and still get excited to go everytime.
It was a cold one today ,didn't make it to sundown but the morning was good  after first light.

Offline fishquick86

• IceShanty Rookie
  • "Ice Fishing Addict"
« Reply #549 on: Jan 21, 2013, 09:36 AM »
Hey everyone my name is brent I have been doing open and hard water fishing since I was about 4 years old with my dad. I used to fish lakes up near grand forks ND and bemidji MN but I moved down here to go to school after I got out of the military and have been fishing near st.cloud and the cities since about 2006 or so. I finally got all my gear this year that I need so I am getting out even more this year. I just moved to Zimmerman MN where I bought my second house. I have started to fish blue lake and little elk as well as I continue to fish Briggs lake but it is a little farther drive now. So hopefully I see some of you guys out on the ice this year. If anyone wants to go out ice fishing just PM me I usually go out on Fridays or Saturdays as I work all day sundays.
Give a man a fish feed him for a day, teach a man how to fish gives you an excuse to leave on the weekends!!

Offline Pederson87

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #550 on: Jan 25, 2013, 12:15 AM »
Brian from Winona, MN.  Been ice fishing for 10 years. Most of my fishing is done on the backwaters of the Mississippi and a few local lakes.

Offline SPADED

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Watch my rod while i pee...
« Reply #551 on: Jan 25, 2013, 09:14 AM »
Sounds like they are trying to put together a 20 man Iceshanty team for the eelie pout festival this year too...

i ended up in 28th place with a 1.21 lb eye.. i got bumped down off 25th place by .02 freaking points.. i would have won a new 4wheeler but i ended up with a new LX3tc.. i am grateful for anything i won but its still a bummer.. they didnt have to let me sit on 25th for 45 min of a 3 hour tourny, just long enough to make me actually think i have a shot of winning it! didnt bump me down till the last 45 min but i am grateful to god i didnt freeze to death because i swear i was close ! haha

i hope everyone else that attended had a great time too!

Offline blacknblue2360

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #552 on: Jan 25, 2013, 08:45 PM »
HI, Just checking to see if anyone has been out on Waconia lately. Looking for a couple of crappie spots.
Thank You.

Offline Capt J

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #553 on: Jan 25, 2013, 11:08 PM »
Hi I'm capt j from Michigan... This is a much nicer board then mine.... will you guys let me hang out with you.   ;D

Offline SPADED

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Watch my rod while i pee...
« Reply #554 on: Jan 25, 2013, 11:53 PM »
Hi I'm capt j from Michigan... This is a much nicer board then mine.... will you guys let me hang out with you.   ;D

depends.... you buying the bait?

Offline Capt J

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #555 on: Jan 26, 2013, 06:27 AM »
depends.... you buying the bait?

Yep  and the beer! ;D

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #556 on: Jan 26, 2013, 07:53 AM »
GREAT! You can help us make fun of the drunken sconnies from the east side! ;D

Offline Chris05

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #557 on: Jan 29, 2013, 12:53 PM »
Hi All,
I am new to forum, moved to the Grand Rapids area about 1 yr, got a rural place on the Swan river.  Grew up on a farm in SD but did not fish much.  Now am semi-retired, put together a bucket list and fishing/ hunting is at top of list.  My 1st winter up here and have picked up some
gear to use, but still need to get to know the lakes.   I've got a small lake nearby for crappie and northern. Would like to fish Trout lake by
Bovey.  Anyone closeby that knows the lake and would like to go fish'n?

Great forum...... I've been learning alot here.

Chris

Offline Tikkaman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #558 on: Feb 01, 2013, 12:20 PM »
Hey fellow fisherman!  My name is Aaron,  reside in Woodbury.  I have been ice fishing for 5 years and I have swallowed the hook completely.  I have 3 daughters that like to tag along with me.  I mostly fish the east suburb lakes and north lakes.  White bear, Jane and the croix.  Looking forward to share tips and stories with you all.

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #559 on: Feb 01, 2013, 07:00 PM »
Welcome to Iceshanty. We are starting to get quite a few member out from your area!

Offline brianbursch

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #560 on: Feb 04, 2013, 03:29 AM »
Currently living in Golden Valley, 1 mile east of Medicine Lake, Which by the way, Crappies are hitting between 15 to 40 feet.

Not a God, but been fishing the ice for 30+ years.

Fishing local lakes, Minnetonka, Medicine, Little Long, Island Lake, White Bear Lake, Lewis lake, Lory Lake, just to name a few, these can all be found on the DNR site.

Usually been getting a limit of Crappies on Medicine Lake, of fair sized fish.

Offline Zannomie

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #561 on: Feb 08, 2013, 08:17 PM »
Guess my 1st post should be posted here
I bleed Blue and Orange go Broncos

Offline Zannomie

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #562 on: Feb 08, 2013, 08:21 PM »
Now for introduction, been living in MN for the last year, the Army brought me to MN from Idaho, I'm incharge of a recruiting center in the upperpart of the Twin cities area.  This is my first year of getting back into the sport of Ice fishing.

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #563 on: Feb 08, 2013, 08:25 PM »
Welcome to MN and Iceshanty! Also, thank you for your service...

I hope we can help ya catch some fish. :)

Offline Zannomie

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #564 on: Feb 08, 2013, 08:26 PM »
forgot to mention, I enjoy Fly fishing, and some upland bird hunting

Offline Zannomie

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #565 on: Feb 08, 2013, 08:30 PM »
Quote from: Skipper link=topic=90106.msg2570868#msg2570868 date =1360376701
Welcome to MN and Iceshanty! Also, thank you for your service...

I hope we can help ya catch some fish. :)

Thank you, hope I can catch some fish tomarrow, been out a few times already this year, Mille lacs, Chisago, Coon, Forest, Leech, and tomarrow will be hitting up clear.  I guess I just go where the wind takes me, until I find that one special one.

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #566 on: Feb 08, 2013, 08:37 PM »
MN is a great place to be a sportsman. There is a little something for everyone...

You can look for public lands to bird hunt, or see if any or the WIA sites work for you. We have some pheasants running around for sure

Walk In Access Sites

I don't know my a-word from a hole in the ground when it comes to fly fishing, most Minnesotan's don't. Our sponsor, Thorne Bros, also runs a fly fishing shop out of their location in Blaine. Maybe they can help you find some of them trout or something... lol... ;D

They are right on HWY 65, just north of HWY 10, west of the Blaine airport. Can't miss them. I understand they are about all we got for fly fishing.

Offline Zannomie

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #567 on: Feb 08, 2013, 08:47 PM »
MN is a great place to be a sportsman. There is a little something for everyone...

You can look for public lands to bird hunt, or see if any or the WIA sites work for you. We have some pheasants running around for sure

Walk In Access Sites

I don't know my a-word from a hole in the ground when it comes to fly fishing, most Minnesotan's don't. Our sponsor, Thorne Bros, also runs a fly fishing shop out of their location in Blaine. Maybe they can help you find some of them trout or something... lol... ;D

They are right on HWY 65, just north of HWY 10, west of the Blaine airport. Can't miss them. I understand they are about all we got for fly fishing.

They are the only one I know of found them right off the bat when I first moved here,   Its nice they just down the road from my office.

Offline armyguy2012

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #568 on: Feb 10, 2013, 12:50 AM »
Hello everybody, I'm not new to ice fishing or ice shanty I've been a member for a long time.  I was originally a member from alaska but I have gotten out of the military and moved back to MN.  I am from the arrow head region (NE) MN just north of Duluth.  ;D

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #569 on: Feb 10, 2013, 10:11 AM »
Welcome back

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.