The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: benzie county.  (Read 11164 times)

Offline netminder34

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: benzie county.
« Reply #60 on: Feb 01, 2018, 12:24 PM »
Talked to my sis, said they had 10-12 west of the boathouse but she did not have any info on north shore, herdsman or the west end.  She was going to try to find out more for me today.  I cant make it back up until the 16th, planning on being able to use the quad and hopefully my normal spots will be good with the forecast temps coming.  Snow is forecast for the next 4 days and they got about 3" last night.

Offline Joe in T.C.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #61 on: Feb 02, 2018, 01:43 PM »
Fished off the south shore this morning - Friday February 2nd 2018

125 FOW and at least 8" of ice

Grabbed my Walleye rod instead of my Laker rod.

With a 125' of mono out its hard to stick a Lake Trout.

lost two and landed one using a sand kicker.

34.75" long and 13.44 pounds

took almost an hour to get him in , but what a riot.  :woot:

Good Luck All  :tipup:

Offline jdgambler

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #62 on: Feb 02, 2018, 04:56 PM »
nice one joe. herdmans is froze over right?
I'd rather be fishing than sleeping

Offline Joe in T.C.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #63 on: Feb 02, 2018, 05:51 PM »
I didn't check Herdmans, but I didn't see any open water in that direction.
I will check it the next time I'm there

Offline jdgambler

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #64 on: Feb 02, 2018, 07:24 PM »
thanks. I was just in Benzie. for 3 days. I just couldn't get away from big platte. found a hot spot.

Offline netminder34

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #65 on: Feb 04, 2018, 10:24 PM »
Sorry for the late response, at the inlaws all weekend without internet, but yes as of Friday herdsman was fishable with guys fishing it. Talked to my sister and she knew the guys out there so it was a solid report.  Spent the weekend taking the father in law ice fishing on the lake he lives on north west of Clare.  Couple nice Pike, biggest was 32in, on tip ups and lots of dink perch and gills.

Still planning on the 16th back on Crystal but that might get moved up a week not sure yet.

Nice Laker Joe.

Friday and Saturday were pretty nice fishing but today with the wind was down right brutal on the hands and fingers.

Offline ThreeDogsDown

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #66 on: Feb 09, 2018, 07:25 PM »
FOUND ON LONG LAKE:   Jig box, well organized.   Found it pretty much around the center on the lake.  PM me and describe it.  I shall return it. 

Offline jdgambler

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #67 on: Feb 10, 2018, 08:01 AM »
any of you guys goimg to make it out on crystal this weekend? 2-10 - 2-11? I'm going to be in the area on 2-15 - 2-19. I'm thinking about herdmans bay or traverse bay if its ready

Offline netminder34

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #68 on: Feb 10, 2018, 09:09 PM »
I will be headed up on the 15th it looks like.  Going to try to fish on the 15th everyone is backing out on me so may be fishing solo for the weekend.

Offline jdgambler

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #69 on: Feb 11, 2018, 12:22 PM »
where abouts you be fishing? On crystal I presume.

Offline netminder34

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #70 on: Feb 11, 2018, 02:17 PM »
Thursday night for sure unless I hear something between now and then to change my plans.  The rest of the weekend will have to depend on the fish I guess.

Offline netminder34

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #71 on: Feb 12, 2018, 11:06 AM »
Heard this morning 2 guys went through on Crystal on the west end yesterday.  Dont have a lot of details on if they were on exact location, machines or not, but looks like they made it out ok from the initial report I have.

Offline pyro261

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #72 on: Feb 12, 2018, 12:59 PM »
Keep us updated if you can. I'd like to come up this weekend and bring my sled if possible

Offline netminder34

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #73 on: Feb 12, 2018, 02:21 PM »
I will try to find out somemore info as I can.  I am planning on bringing my quad with me for the weekend also.  Should be ok where I am fishing but I think some of the lake has heavier snow cover than others which can be a big issue on the west end with the deeper water and last to freeze.

Offline netminder34

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #74 on: Feb 13, 2018, 11:55 AM »
From what I have found out the guy was spudding and was on 6-8in of ice when all of a sudden he went through.  I will hopefully get a better report on snow cover tomorrow but last check was there were areas with little snow and some with drifts so be cautious as always and stay safe.

Offline pyro261

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #75 on: Feb 13, 2018, 12:17 PM »
Is pretty much everything east of Lobb fine? 

Offline netminder34

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #76 on: Feb 13, 2018, 09:30 PM »
I have not heard of any issues of ice on the East end or Herdsman.

Offline ThreeDogsDown

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #77 on: Feb 14, 2018, 11:12 PM »
We fished Lobb Road Monday night and there was 12+ inches with quads and snowmobiles most everywhere.  Even with it warm up today and tonight, we would have only lost the snow cover and a little ice.  Should be no problem. 

Offline netminder34

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #78 on: Feb 16, 2018, 09:17 AM »
Got up late last night but went out for a couple hrs to the smelt gounds.  Got enough for bait and a few extra, moving kinda slow this morning with the late night.  Most likely going to hit the same spot tonight just earlier and planning on trout fishing tomorrow on crystal.  Ice last night was 12+ with a little slush and water on top but freezing over as I left around 230am.

Offline Chad scholten

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #79 on: Feb 16, 2018, 01:44 PM »
Anyone know how the ice condition is onbig platte and maybe a fishing report. Thank fellas

Offline netminder34

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #80 on: Feb 17, 2018, 06:48 AM »
Haven't been to Platte but Crystal has not lost any ice and most of the snow is gone so surface slush has tightened up.  Hit the smelt again last night for another round about way he same results maybe a little better.  Did manage 2 burbot and lost one at the hole.  Headed out for a little trout fishing now.

Offline netminder34

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #81 on: Feb 17, 2018, 02:01 PM »
Wow what a brutal wind today, not much snow and heavy winds not a good combination.  Pulling the sled with quad and spend most of the driving sideways as the wind would slide the shanty and rear of the quad right around.  Going into the wind was the only way to keep in line.  Not much action on the trout , a couple flags but all but 1 I am sure were wind trips.

Offline netminder34

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #82 on: Feb 19, 2018, 06:41 AM »
Well trout fishing was a bust this weekend for me.  Had a few flags, watched several fish come up after jigs and smelt but no solid hookups.  Seems they were just slapping at them and not committing fully.  There were a few trout caught that a saw but few and far between for the weekend.  12-15" of ice everywhere I fished hoping it hold over the next couple days will be back on the 28th for some fishing.  Smelt bite was picked up for me over the weekend as I tested a new light, some were still struggling.

Offline pyro261

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #83 on: Feb 19, 2018, 10:04 AM »
Had pretty much the same luck Sunday on trout. Had one hit we missed and caught another one. The positive (if you can call it that) is those are the only two marks we saw so they were at least biting if you could find any. The one I caught had a belly full of 8 smelt and still felt hungry enough to hit my lure. Wind was brutal, was blowing our shanty and my snowmobile that it was tied to across the ice on big gusts.

Offline netminder34

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #84 on: Feb 19, 2018, 01:52 PM »
Thats no joke on the wind.  Everyone I know and the ones I talked to were doing about the same just a slow weekend.  I needed to find a couple of those hungry ones as the smelt I had down weren't sexy enough to entice a bite I guess.  Can't complain too much it was time on the ice.

Offline jdgambler

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #85 on: Feb 23, 2018, 08:03 AM »
I fished big platte for a week. Am bite is the best for me. Fought a few walleye and landed 1. Also got a 31" channel cat in 4 fow. good mess of jumbo perch. Several flags with 40 feet of line pulled out and no fish. Lots of action. 12" of good ice as of 2/23

Offline jdgambler

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #86 on: Feb 24, 2018, 09:07 AM »
I'll be back out on platte lake the 27th for a few days or until ice is unsafe. Hopefully walleye action heats up before the ice does!

Offline Doeslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #87 on: Feb 24, 2018, 02:45 PM »
That's a helluva inland lake eye.... I gotta meet up with you next season... I'm a bit of a walleye imbecile... I fish for them way more than I catch them lol
Catch and release, into the grease!
"gotta be somebody needs some killin" ~ Major Payne

Offline netminder34

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #88 on: Feb 24, 2018, 08:50 PM »
Headed back up Wednesday for what I am thinking will be my last ice trip for the season.  Hoping the ice holds as the new light has been performing very nice with lots of light and 6+ hrs on a SLA(Vex style battery).  Would like to get a couple more nights of smelt fishing in before ice out and maybe the trout will be a little more cooperative.

Offline jdgambler

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #89 on: Feb 25, 2018, 08:02 AM »
its supposed to be a good moon phase by the end of the week. Hopefully I can show ya'll a limit on those hog eyes. I just hope the ice holds up. If not then steelhead should be in the river.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.