Author Topic: How many rods?  (Read 5689 times)

Offline walliceman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Waiting to ice that first eye!
How many rods?
« on: Nov 16, 2003, 09:18 PM »
Hey guys,

New to crappie fishing thats why there are so many questions, sorry about that. anyways heres my question upon getting ready for ice fishing for crappies this year and i only have one rod right now i was thinking, i will need another rod for minnows and a bobber , and kind of being the lazy person i am i thought should i get another one for just using a jig and waxies under an ultra sensitive bobber like the thill tackle mini stealth, because i thought if i used this kind of bobber i would be getting maybe alot more false hits caused by the minnow, any imput on this topic would be very helpful, how many rods do you use?

-Evan

Offline jp

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re:How many rods?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 16, 2003, 10:14 PM »
Never too many rods. I like to have 2 or 3 all ready to go on the ice. If I miss a fish sometimes I will drop somethng a little different down to him. or if they steel the bait I won't have to rebait the line. saves time.

Offline walleye4

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice, Ice, BABY!!!!!!!!
« Reply #2 on: Nov 17, 2003, 11:17 AM »
Did you make it alright?

Here in Nebraska, you can fish with up to 5 rods per person.  That can be a mix of rods and or tip-ups.  I have 12 rod set ups.  I generally will jig with 2 and then have 3 with minnow and bobber.  You can have no more than 2 hooks pre line though.  I make all of my rods.

OH NO, I have Jig-a-nitis!  Very deadly disease!!!

Offline Hard_H2O

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Nov 17, 2003, 12:59 PM »
Here in Minnesota we are restricted to two lines. I usually have one setup as a deadstick with livebait and one setup to jig. I watch the Vexilar and see what depth the crappies are at and adjust the deadstick rod accordingly.

I usually bring out about 6 rigged rods out on the ice with me.

Offline walliceman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Nov 17, 2003, 01:15 PM »
thanks, so you guys dont think 3 is to many? and what do all of you have each rod set up for? i mean how many possible ways to rig a line are there? lol

-Evan

Offline walleye4

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice, Ice, BABY!!!!!!!!
« Reply #5 on: Nov 17, 2003, 01:26 PM »
I have all my rods set up with different # line to start with.  On the 1&2# test I have micro jigs or teardrops.  On the 4&6# test I have a variety.  Swedish pimples, jigging raps, bigger jigs, and minnow set-ups.  Then on 6&8# test I'll have bigger jigging raps, spoons, etc.

OH NO, I have Jig-a-nitis!  Very deadly disease!!!

Offline walliceman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Nov 17, 2003, 01:42 PM »
yea, i plan on having my one jigging rod with 2 lb, and both my bobber rods with 4 lb.

-Evan

Offline BlackIce

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • R U Scared?
« Reply #7 on: Dec 20, 2003, 01:23 AM »
I've been using 3# on on my rods.  I have some rigged with Triles ice line and some with Trilene cold weather line (blue).  I bought the cold weather line on accident but have been pretty happy with my early results with it.
R.I.P. Grandpa D. 1-6-10

Offline PERCH_INC.

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • THROW THE LITTLE ONES BACK
« Reply #8 on: Dec 20, 2003, 12:02 PM »
More is good, I have about 15 all together. But still use the same two. I fish mainly for Perch and Blue gills. But you can never have too many rods!! :)  
MONSTER PERCH RULE ! !  

Offline firsticerules

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • get out be happy!
« Reply #9 on: Dec 20, 2003, 01:21 PM »
i fish with three rods usually but i strickly dead stick 2 of them and slowly jig the other and i always use minnows cut in half when jigin but small live minnows when dead sticking.i do need more rods though.

FORGET MILK.......GOT ICE?

Offline Melbs7

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Dec 21, 2003, 10:39 AM »
Here in Wisconsin you can only have 3 lines in the water at a time per preson. Thats rods and/or tip-ups. All of my rods are set up with either a regular bobber or a spring bobber. Whats this dead sticking that everyone keeps talkin about? is that just no bobber of any kind at all? just line... rod... reel?

Melbs    :'(

Offline genz_man

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Just 1 more crappie!!!
« Reply #11 on: Dec 22, 2003, 04:39 AM »
Will now carry around 10 rods in my sled as opposed to 5 or 6. ;D I do not like being caught without one of my favorite setups when the fish are finicky. I will fish two deadsticks while actively jigging my other rod this ice season. :'(  

Offline fishingking

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Dec 26, 2003, 05:04 PM »
NY is 2 rods and 5 tipups i ussually only fish one rod at a time because i find i catch more fish with one rod then if i use two  Concentration is the key to catching finicky fish under the ice  2 rods breaks my concentration anyways this year i have 5 rods that are rigged with what ussually works so this makes it easier  to just fish instead of wasting time rigging up on the ice when i want to change my lure
Loose Lips Sink Ships
50,232 Members and 50,232 Lurkers.
Ego's :nono:

Offline Luckydog

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Dec 28, 2003, 01:33 PM »
I usually take six rigged rods.  Two have 2# line, one with a a shrimpo and one with a rat finkee;  Two have 3# line, one with a genz worm and one with a genz fat boy; two have 4# line one with a swedish pimple and one with a forage minnow.  In IL we can have three lines in the water at once.  I set up a tipup and then work two rods in the Trap.  You need to have several options available -- you never know what the fishies are going to want.  :o

Offline walliceman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Dec 28, 2003, 02:42 PM »
Lucky that sounds reasonable. What color and size forage minnow do you use?

-Evan

Offline Luckydog

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Dec 29, 2003, 12:11 PM »
I use the smallest Forage minnow I can find...I think it's 1/8 oz.  I usually tip it with a little piece of minnow meat.

Offline walliceman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Dec 29, 2003, 01:05 PM »
Lucky,

Do you use the jiggn spoon or just the spoon? also what colors?

-Evan

Offline RM fishin

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #17 on: Dec 31, 2003, 10:12 AM »
Hey fellows, new to this site,love it all ready. I have a nice plastic padded chair with a back on it bought at galens in rochester ny. it has a storage compartment in the back that holds six rods. I usually have 2 shoneys and 2 open face poles in it 2 short ones 2 long one andall have spring bobbers on them.

Offline walliceman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Dec 31, 2003, 10:29 AM »
Thanks RM, And welcome to the site.

-Evan

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.