Author Topic: eyes on tip ups  (Read 2283 times)

Offline Martian

• Team IceShanty Addict
eyes on tip ups
« on: Jan 22, 2018, 10:54 AM »
I know there is a thread but it is old.  We regularly fish this lake in Mi w/ traps  for pike. we were told there are eyes in there. This last weekend, , while fishing as usual, we caught our first walleye, followed by 2 more, on big trebles, steel leader, fully set for pike. So we decided , we may have missed a lot due to the set up. So I put this on Michigan sportsman, and am putting it here. how do you guys rig? The most common reply I have gotten is, 6-8lb. flouro, small treble ( 10-12), a glow bead, , ( not sure where this goes), and an egg sinker on the mainline, about one foot off the bottom. One guy said he sets them 5-10 ft up, but is in 50 fow. A few told me if they feel weight, they will drop it, and the egg, allows it to sink, and stay weightless as the line peels out, and we would have less success with spit shot. thanks in advance for your replies, by the way, do you guys use " glow beads", and if so do they go just above the hook?

Offline mvanhank222

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: eyes on tip ups
« Reply #1 on: Jan 22, 2018, 11:11 AM »
The hook and leader size seem right. I have never thought about the egg sinker. 1 foot off the bottom seems about right too.

Offline appleye

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 22, 2018, 11:25 AM »
Glow bead does go above the hook. All the above is how I rig for walleye as well but I use an Ice Rigger and not a trap.
In the memory of "Team Lighting" Fish ON!
No one ever says,"Man that fish tastes small.
Thank you Lord for thinkin bout me. I'm alive and doin fine!!!!!!

Offline Wheres Walleye

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 22, 2018, 11:40 AM »
I typically use 6-8lb. fluoro, small treble (10-12), and split shot 1-2 foot off the bottom. I also go to 17 lb. fluoro when there's a good chance of catching pike too. I have not tried the glow beads in my set ups.

Offline bowmandan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 22, 2018, 12:30 PM »
crappie rigs on the bottom tipped with minnows.  can catch 2 eyes at a time

Offline northernnyice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 22, 2018, 02:14 PM »
This is just my setup.. an egg sinker on the main tipup line, to a swivel. Then about 3 feet of 12-14lb fluorocarbon leader, to a #10 or #12 treble. No beads, no blades. I put 1 split shot 8" above the treble, and another a foot or so above that.. ive fishinf a huge river system with current, and targeting above average walleyes. Have caught a countless amount of walleyes between 6-10lb, and a slew of them from 10-12lb

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.