Author Topic: Spoon'in for Walleye  (Read 2479 times)

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
Spoon'in for Walleye
« on: Nov 09, 2005, 01:54 PM »
A question here....when using spoons to walleye fish  what is your technique. I have read some articles recently on a few different ones and wanted some opinons.

There is a nice article in IF that talks about removing the hook and adding about 2inch leaders then applying the hook and bait?

I have also seen a guy who purchases a massive spoon and removes the hooks, he then sets up a bunch of rods with bait and jiggs the holes he drilled around them, to attract fish to his bait.

The again, I have seen guys just jigging away nothing fancy....whats your take on Spoonin for Eyes

Offline iceintheveins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If you won't fight for freedom, your not American!
Re: Spoon'in for Walleye
« Reply #1 on: Nov 09, 2005, 02:53 PM »
The best walleye spoons are medium/small buckshot rattle spoons, kastmasters, do jiggers, and swedish pimples. The largest custom jigs and spins stinger kicks butt too. Always tip a spoon with a small minnow head or part of a crawler. The minnow head usually works best though.
For spoon fishing I just do a single lift fall with a 10 second or so pause. Shaking the lure after the pause works well when no fish are visible on your sonar. If a fish moves in, lighter jiggles work much better than aggressive shakes.
Spoons work good for walleyes, but most of the time I prefer jigging raps or nils masters. Just have been much more consistant for me. I would always set out a tip up with a live minnow though as well as a second rod. Combining jigging with tip ups is the way to catch the most possible fish usually through the ice.
Politically incorrect, and proud of it.

Offline Swedish__Pimple

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Nov 09, 2005, 07:33 PM »
Swedish_Pimples....... .... ;)

Offline Water Wolf

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice anglers walk on water.
« Reply #3 on: Nov 10, 2005, 12:51 AM »
I agree with everybody on spoon and swimming lure selections. I have used dropper rigs when the fish are in a negative mood. The jigging action of flash and vibration attract the walleye to you and the small tidbit on the dropper below seals the deal.
Buckshot rattle spoons are a good one to try a dropper rig are as are kastmasters. As for bait a small minnow or part of one is good. :)

WW

Offline P.I.K.E.

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • 37 inch pike
« Reply #4 on: Nov 10, 2005, 01:50 AM »
I use sweedish pimples and buckshot rattle spoons.
Just waiting for the hardwater.

Offline eyedoktr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • keep your pole in the hole
« Reply #5 on: Nov 10, 2005, 05:59 AM »
If I'm after BIG walleye I like to use a 2/5 oz Little Cleo tipped with a couple of fatheads. If I'm fishing where the walleye only get to 6# or so, I like a Swedish Pimple, again, tipped with fatheads.

I'll change technique until I find whatthey want. It could be "pounding" the bottom, a short lift and controlled drop , a large lift (5-6 feet) and a flutter drop,or anywhere in between.
Pete Lewis

grumpymoe

« Reply #6 on: Nov 10, 2005, 09:58 PM »
If I'm after BIG walleye I like to use a 2/5 oz Little Cleo tipped with a couple of fatheads. If I'm fishing where the walleye only get to 6# or so, I like a Swedish Pimple, again, tipped with fatheads.

I'll change technique until I find whatthey want. It could be "pounding" the bottom, a short lift and controlled drop , a large lift (5-6 feet) and a flutter drop,or anywhere in between.
...or when shallow (5-6")....ripjig into the hole....flutter to bottom....and repeat......sometimes thats what they want....the bait disappearing upward to safety.....they simply wait out the rip....Grump

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.