Author Topic: Kingston, Ontario, Back Lakes  (Read 226557 times)

Offline leviathan_slayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
Kingston, Ontario, Back Lakes
« on: Jan 09, 2009, 04:10 PM »
Well it is time to head out and start fishing the back lakes around Kingston.  Most reports from locals are indicating 6-8" of ice on the lakes.  This weekend's assault will begin in Verona Lake looking for walleye, pike, perch and crappies.  Hopefully will get to 2nd Depot Lkae on Sunday but the conservation authority is still adjusting water levels so we will see.
Don a.k.a. Leviathan_slayer

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
Re: Kingston, Ontario, Back Lakes
« Reply #1 on: Jan 09, 2009, 07:50 PM »
Nice to see another Kingston member on board, I spend my time on Dog for the most part...maybe we can swap locals...I have never been on Verona

Offline jimmay

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 09, 2009, 09:02 PM »
I'm a local too.

This year so far we have been on Upper Rock Lake, Loughborough and BofQ.  I am probably off to Spring Lake tomorrow morning for eyes and crappie, and may stop at Loughborough on the way home for some Lakers.

Offline jimmay

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 10, 2009, 05:29 PM »
Cccccooooold morning!

Not much to tell other than a few perch (one fat one) and my buddy caught a 3lbs pike.

The very west end of Loughborough now has about 7" and I saw a few ATVs and snowmobiles out.

Offline leviathan_slayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 10, 2009, 07:31 PM »
Well today was quite cool with the wind but got a few good hours of fishing in.  There is a good 10-11" of ice on Verona Lake and all of it good ice.  The bite was quite fast and furious for the first 90 minutes.  Caught several pike 3 to 9 lbs and a lot of perch.  Had a good 'eye to the hole but lost him.  The wind made things a little raw and had to constantly clean the holes.  Regardless, was a great day for getting out of the house.  As for the postings of my Kingston colleagues, look forward to hearing about your adventures around Dog, Loughborough, and some of the other lakes.  5th depot seems to be the hot spot for 'eyes right now.  Will check it out probably next week.

Offline TRYZ2FISH

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 11, 2009, 06:26 AM »
Hi,

I am also a kingston local. i mostly fish trout lakes further north but would love to get out localy. just not sure where to start. Can't wait to here the reports.

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #6 on: Jan 11, 2009, 08:06 AM »
This is great, the past three years I have been the only Kington Angler on the site with a few others like Jiggy who stop on thru from time to time...but looks like this year we have a few new Kingston members...

I m hoping you boys can give me some insight on some other local Kingston lakes...Like mentioned above I spend most of my time on Dog lake as it was the first lake I came across 3 years ago when I moved to kingston, other then that I move around a lot....very interested in learning about other lakes...and willing to share..

Offline leviathan_slayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 11, 2009, 10:41 AM »
Good morning Kingston area anglers.  It is a glorious cool morning with not many anglers out yet.  A few shacks are starting to show up on lakes around the Verona area - people just starting to realize that the ice is thick enough to walk and ATV on - not quite ready for a truck or car.  Today I checked out 2nd Depot Lake and as suspected need to be careful where you go because they are letting water out and in some spots the ice is 6-8 inches above the water!  Anyway,  tried a couple of quick line-drops and pulled up 2 'eyes - 3lb and 5 lb - which is really good for this lake!

For the locals look forward to hearing about your adventures north of Kingston.  Give Verona Lake a try - south end.  If coming from Kingston drive up Hwy 38 until you get to Verona and turn right on Water St. (right beside hardware store).  Park on street and walk on out and you will see the spots where the locals go - I have never been disappointed in this lake for the last 21 years!

Offline Lun

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 14, 2009, 01:47 AM »
Hey Guys.  I'm brand new to the site and live north of Kingston.  Most of my ice fishing is done on the Depot lakes.  I built a new shack this summer and put it on 5th Depot this past weekend.  In two trips so far we've caught 3 walleyes- one close to 5lbs and two around 3.5lbs.  We also missed a few fish and caught a few small pike.  On Saturday I saw two full size trucks and what looked like a Civic on the lake despite there only being 7 inches of ice.  Crazy buggers!

I've never fished Verona but may have to give it a try based on your report.  Dog Lake also sounds interesting, icejunky, though I usually stick to walleye lakes.

Glad I stumbled upon this site guys!  I'm looking forward to your posts.
P.S.- Am I the only one having a hard time finding a place to buy minnows?  Don't tell me I have to dig my minnow trap out...

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #9 on: Jan 14, 2009, 06:22 AM »
Am I the only one having a hard time finding a place to buy minnows?

I buy mine from Mark's bait in Battersea, so far this year he has been great with 3-4 sizes available...cash only, but livley bait.

I told there are some great bait shops around Wolf lake, but have not been there myself

Offline WallyWally

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 14, 2009, 11:54 AM »
What about the place on 38 before Verona IGA I think it's call Lenard's Bait down in the pit. Is it still there?
That where I usually stopped last year, then the IGA for snacks and beverages ;D

Offline Lun

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 14, 2009, 08:55 PM »
Leonard's bait on 38 hasn't been open since August.  I'm not sure if he's closed for good or not.  The place in Sydenham ( Boundary Bait?) is having a problem with his water system and is waiting on parts.  Norris' Bait is just outside of Westport and usually has good bait.  Unfortunately it's a bit far for me.  Battersea sounds like a good option.  I may try it tomorrow morning on my way home from work.  Hope it's open fairly early.  Thanks for the tip icejunky.

Offline leviathan_slayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 17, 2009, 06:18 PM »
Well today was cold and slow - funny though it started to warm up a bit just before the sun went down.  Went out on Loughborough Lake today and the frigid temperatures this week added about 6 more inches of ice - well over 14inches today.  Anyway, was lucky to pull up a 12lb pike and 2 lakers -6 and 8 lbs.  Tons of perch (okay 14 of them), a catfish and a daytime burbot (which I have never caught in the daytime before!).  Was very productive but frigid!!  Well will not be able to give a report next weekend as I am heading to Victoria, BC on business.  Hope your luck is as good as mine was today!  To all the Kingston anglers... there are no better lakes than those in our own backyard!  Ciao!

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #13 on: Jan 23, 2009, 06:03 AM »
Im looking for a goo dplace to park and walk on Loughborough, can someone pm me a good place to aprk and get on that will not result in a 45 minute walk to fish

Offline leviathan_slayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 30, 2009, 07:11 PM »
Well back from BC and ready for some more icefishing.  Going to try a little night fishing in Verona Saturday night.

As for walk on fishing on Loughborough, you can park at the Kepler end of the lake and walk out 200 yards.

Good luck

Offline leviathan_slayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 31, 2009, 12:47 PM »
BAIT FOR FISHING

For those of you looking for bait up around the Verona area, Leonard's is open from 10 to 1 on Fridays and Saturdays and by chance on all other days.  So will make it a little easier to find minnows if you are journeying up Hwy 38.  Today he had some good shiners, big mud minnows and a few big suckers! Bring on the fish!

Offline leviathan_slayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Feb 01, 2009, 04:08 PM »
KINGSTON AREA FISHERS
[/color][/font][/i][/b]

I think it would be really useful for those coming to this site if we could start a listing of various lakes in the area that people can get to easily.  If we could populate this forum with the name of the lake, where it is located, the type of fish commonly caught, and the easiest spot for parking and public access to the lake, and any other useful tips as local spots to get bait, best type of bait to use, etc.  I think this would be useful for everyone and we could get more people coming out to see how great this end of the province is - would not hurt the local economy either!!  Anyway, I am going to start to put a few of my favourites in this forum over next several days and see if it works for people.  Ciao for now!

Offline WallyWally

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Feb 02, 2009, 07:35 AM »
Beaver Lake by Erinsville , Hwy 41, parking by the boat launch.

Offline leviathan_slayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Feb 02, 2009, 09:59 AM »
Verona Lake or Rock Lake

Located in the village of Verona on the right-hand side if you are travelling north along Hwy 38.  You can access the lake via 2 public boat launches (one at end of Water Street and other at end of Salmon Lane).  The lake holds pike, perch, bluegills, crappies, walleye - and for spring/summer fishing small and largemouth bass).  Mud Minnows and shiners are popular bait but do not overlook small grubs or maggot style baits as well.  As of January 31, 2009 there is 16" of good clean ice that is snow covered.

You can pick up bait at Leonard's gravel pit which is just south of Verona (about 3 mins) and it is open Firday and Saturday 10 - 1 and by chance any other day.  Bravo restaurant in Verona is a great place for breakfast, lunch or dinner and Topper's convenience store at corner of Salmon Lane and Hwy 38 a great place to pick up snacks, or drinks or even a few fishing supplies.  Verona hardware store also carries some fishing and ice fishing supplies.

Offline leviathan_slayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Feb 02, 2009, 10:15 AM »
Crow Lake

Crow Lake, south of Sharbot Lake is another great fishing lake with public access.  You can access this lake by driving up Hwy 38 until you reach Crow Lake Road on the right (if you reach the village of Sharbot Lake you have gone too far).  Follow the Road until you come to the public boat launch.  The lake is a long lake with several deep sections in excess of 110 feet.  The lake holds lake trout, pike, walleye, perch, bluegills, crappies, burbot and in spring/summer some good bass.  When the ice is thick enough you can easily drive onto the lake.  Midway down the lake are several small islands and you can find 'eyes and pike around them. In late winter, early spring, be careful around the islands as the rocks heat up quickly and the ice starts to melt around them fairly quickly.

You can buy minnows at the North Frontenac Bait and Tackle shop in Sharbot Lake if you did not get a chance to pick some up before heading to Crow Lake.  Some services in Sharbot Lake including Sharbot Lake Country Inn which serves great home-style meals.  This is a great area for fishing and if you choose not to fish Crow Lake then head on to Sharbot Lake itself. 

Offline leviathan_slayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Feb 05, 2009, 08:02 PM »
Second Depot Lake

Second Depot Lake is part of the Depot Lakes Conservation Area and is the easiest of all to access.  The quickest route is to head north from Kingston on Hwy 38, drive through the village of Verona past the golf course on the north end of town and turn left on Snider Road.  Follow Snider road to the end and turn left. 2nd Depot Lake will be located on the right.  There is a boat launch that provides access to the lake.

There are a couple of deep holes in the lake: one on the right side near the rock bluff and one on the far left side near the small bay where the creek from 3rd Depot Lake enters 2nd.

2nd Depot holds walleye, pike, perch, crappies, bluegills, and burbot - for open water season there are some big small and largemouth bass available (with the biggest I have caught being 7lbs!).  At this time of year the 'eyes are in about 20 ft of water off the various points around the lake.  Some big 'eyes can be caught in the deep holes.  If you want some squirming fun after the sun sets drop lines to the bottom with dead bait and hold on!  Big ling inhabit the bottom!

Be careful when you first enter the lake as the water levels are sometimes lowered and the ice can sit up a few feet above the water causing a dangerous situation.  As well stay clear of the dam as the ice is very thing in that area.

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #21 on: Feb 07, 2009, 06:30 PM »
Im really looking forward to giving some of these lakes a try, its easy to get stuck in fishng the same familair lake over and over...you guys have given me some new options to try

Offline leviathan_slayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Feb 10, 2009, 10:19 PM »
Loughborough Lake

Loboro is a great lake with plenty of opportunities.  Loughborough Lake is located 20 kilometres (12 mi) north of Kingston, Ontario. The lake is 34 kilometres (21 mi) long and 18 square kilometres (6.9 sq mi) in area, is dotted with many small islands, and has over 160 kilometres (99 mi) of shoreline.

The best points of access are either near Kepler (up the Sydenham Road), near the public boat ramp (up Division Street) or from the Marina in Battersea.  This year lake trout fishing is year round - however you will only find lakers on the west portion of the lake.  There are splake, catfish, perch, bluegills, pike, and crappies in the lake.  At times you can find big burbot in the western portion as well.

Loughborough is a very long lake running SW to NE and is divided in half by Division Street / Perth Road.  The western half of the lake is the deepest with the deepest point over 110'.  The eastern half the lake is much shallower with the deepest points only being around 40'.  This is a great lake for a variety of fish and is close enough to Kingston you can be on the ice and fishing within 30 minutes.

There are facilities obviously in Kingston but if you head up Division Street you can get supplies in Inverary and if you go up Montreal Road stop in Battersea for supplies.

Only caution is fishing around the Division Street bridge can be dicey at times as the water moves and the ice breaks up around the the bridge quickly.

Offline ShoalSeeker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Feb 23, 2009, 09:19 AM »
Finally, I have found a site that has local info. Great information being shared here.  Went fishing for the first time on 1st Depot, was told that it had walleye, did not even get a bite.  We then went to Eagle for some whitefish in the afternoon, again no fish.  I have been out 6 times this winter and only have one splake to show for it.  Every one I talk to says they are having the same kind of luck.  What is going on this winter.  I would probally give up, but I have invested to much cash into equipment this year, besides how sad would that be.  Is it just me guys or is the fishing real tough this year?

Offline *Wiggler*

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Feb 23, 2009, 01:20 PM »
I know the bite has been tough on the BOQ this year. I tried stoco twice and have been skunked. Have gotten fish back in the plevna area though.

Offline killer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Feb 24, 2009, 10:36 AM »
I tried Verona Lake for the first time this past weekend with my wife and caught about a dozen decent perch. Not to bad for a couple hours of fishing. I would like to thank leviathan slayer for the info on this lake.  I would not even had tried it if I had not read about this lake here on this web site.  I am looking forward to returning and spending a little more time there.

P.S.  Any info for Crappie locations on this lake would be greatly appreciated. 

Offline leviathan_slayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Feb 24, 2009, 07:32 PM »
Hey Killer, glad to hear you got a chance to try out Verona Lake.  Was there on Saturday and caught a few perch a several pike myself - I have never been skunked on this lake at an time of the year.  As for crappies there are 3 key spots to try. The first is in the bay at the south end of the lake - get further back in the bay and you Will find they frequent this area 5 or 6 times a day.  The second key area is straight out from the Water St. boat launch straight across to the opposite shore.  You want to head to the entrance to the creek. About 30 yards before the entrance is a rock shoal that drops off into 20 to 30 ft.  The crappies love to hang out here for the early rush to the creek for spawning in the spring.  It is also a good hangout for the walleye inn this lake.

Offline leviathan_slayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Feb 24, 2009, 07:43 PM »
While some of you diehard fishermen and women have been experiencing mid-winter fishless days, some of the lakes have been producing some decent fish.  Crow lake has been coughing up a few decent walleye (and a lot of out of season lakers patrolling the shallows).  Second Depot Lake has been producing several decent sized pike.  Lakers in the western portion of Loughborough Lake have started chowing down big time on minnows!  Remember, one of the advantages of the Kingston back lakes is that when one lake is slow, there are so many others that can produce a limit.  Good luck to all!

Offline killer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Feb 25, 2009, 08:24 AM »
Leviathan Slayer, 

Thanks for the post (again) I will give those spots a try next time I am there.  Good luck with the rest of the season.

Offline jighead_steve

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Feb 26, 2009, 12:33 PM »
Hey Guys,

Just thought I would stop by and say hi to you all. I've been a long time lurker on this forum, not so much as to where the fish are biting but more or less how the ice conditions are. I am pretty famillar with some of the lakes in the area and what works / doesn't work. I've decided to start posting and share some of my experiences and journys in the next few weeks in hopes of helping others out.

I do have one question though, I'm planing on going to Crow Lake this weekend for some eyes or maybe even Depot 2 and was wondering what the condition are like ( ice ) . Maybe if someone has a different opinion on where to go that's better that would be great. In to any sort of lunker fishing, I've done enough perching for a while.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Steve

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.