The Ice Fishing MA is board

Author Topic: Clam plate slipping  (Read 1551 times)

Offline Sam Gee

• Team IceShanty Regular
Clam plate slipping
« on: Jan 26, 2022, 07:29 AM »
Recently myself and a buddy had our clam plates suddenly start slipping on both of us. We use different drill bits so we were confused how this could be happening to us both. Has anyone had this problem and know what the issue is? When I switched to my lazer bit I had no problem.

Offline arrowheadangler

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Clam plate slipping
« Reply #1 on: Jan 26, 2022, 07:44 AM »
I would check to see if the hex shaft rounded off.
Same thing happened to me, the drill chuck loosened and spun, rounding of the flats of the spindle.
Had to order a replacement part from Clam.
https://shop.clamoutdoors.com/drill-plate-hex-bit-shaft.html

Offline Sam Gee

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 26, 2022, 09:25 AM »
It is a little  rounded. Thanks for the input and the link.

Offline Dschofield91

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Have an Ice day!
« Reply #3 on: Jan 26, 2022, 11:36 AM »
I saw someone on Facebook earlier this week with the same issue, chuck opened up

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #4 on: Jan 26, 2022, 11:53 AM »
There was a problem with some of the older gen clam plates that has soft metal.if its the gold colored shaft it should be good.

Offline Sam Gee

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 26, 2022, 12:23 PM »
There was a problem with some of the older gen clam plates that has soft metal.if its the gold colored shaft it should be good.
It is gold.

Offline mrip

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 26, 2022, 02:52 PM »
Are you drilling in low gear with the clutch tight

Offline ICEHOLE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • INSTAGRAM: MATTACHUSETTS
« Reply #7 on: Jan 27, 2022, 01:34 AM »
The good news, clam plates are 100% unnecessary- IMO. I've used my ridgid drills on 6" mora, 8" mora and my 8" kdrill.  Probably 1000 holes and I've never wished i had the plate. More weight, more room in the sled,  and one less thing to fail while I'm out on the ice...

Offline Ryan51993

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 27, 2022, 02:52 AM »
Agreed they're totally unnecessary and kind of a scam. A few times every winter I see people post about getting a new drill combo and they always assume they need the clam plate. Like the drill would be some wild untameable beast without one. I told myself I'd try going without it first, and I'm glad I did. My drill is so lightweight and easy to use and I've never felt like it needed anything extra. The clam plate is like training wheels on a bicycle, might seem important when you don't know what your doing but an hour later its useless and just slows you down.

Offline pmaloney86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 27, 2022, 12:04 PM »
Agreed they're totally unnecessary and kind of a scam. A few times every winter I see people post about getting a new drill combo and they always assume they need the clam plate. Like the drill would be some wild untameable beast without one. I told myself I'd try going without it first, and I'm glad I did. My drill is so lightweight and easy to use and I've never felt like it needed anything extra. The clam plate is like training wheels on a bicycle, might seem important when you don't know what your doing but an hour later its useless and just slows you down.

There is a degree of safety added with the clam plate.  The drills being used are very powerful and if the handle were to break it can cause serious damage.  There was a guy a few years back on here who did major damage to his whole arm bc the handle failed.
westernmas on the finder

Offline ICEHOLE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • INSTAGRAM: MATTACHUSETTS
« Reply #10 on: Jan 27, 2022, 03:42 PM »
There is a degree of safety added with the clam plate.  The drills being used are very powerful and if the handle were to break it can cause serious damage.  There was a guy a few years back on here who did major damage to his whole arm bc the handle failed.
I don't even use the handle. I feel like there's proper form for using the drill. I don't see any risk personally. Less is more

Offline Ryan51993

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 27, 2022, 03:59 PM »
Has to be more to the story about the guy breaking his arm. My drill goes through ice easier than it puts a screw through wood.

Offline Rugburn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Carpeted boat + rough water = RUGBURN
« Reply #12 on: Jan 27, 2022, 04:16 PM »
I like my old Rev. B Clam plate, never any problems. It's probably not necessary but sure is nice! To each their own.
The old ones you take the chuck off the drill and screw in. People didn't like that so newer revisions came out.

Offline CranMan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Feb 06, 2022, 06:57 PM »
Clam plate is nice spinning a 10” nils with a Milwaukee + high output

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.