Author Topic: Ice Conditions and Whitefish Locations - Lake of Bays  (Read 1165 times)

Offline WalkingOnThickIce

• IceShanty Rookie
Hello Fellow Anglers,

I've spent a couple trips up to Lake of Bays (Hunstville area) over the last couple seasons. I love the area and really enjoy the lake as it has some impressive drop offs and good opportunities to get into whitefish.

My two questions are:
a) What are the ice conditions on Lake of Bays as of 06JAN2021?
b) What areas (obviously don't have to be too specific) are hot for whitefish fishing on Lake of Bays?

Whitefish are a new obsession for me as I've grown up on perch and walleye through the ice. While those are great table fish, I've come to thoroughly enjoy whitefish as a preferred meal. I'm having a hard time locating and catching whitefish, so any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Looking forward to the season and responses.

Offline Sharkbait22

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Ice Conditions and Whitefish Locations - Lake of Bays
« Reply #1 on: Jan 06, 2021, 12:21 PM »
Lake of Bays is wide open. It's a deep lake 280fow in places and freezes late. Inflows, currents around points, and bubblers can make for dangerous travel.  Be careful.  Have not targeted whitefish there, not even caught one incidentally.  Simcoe likely is much better for whitefish and these days whites are shallow which is nice if you need to walk out. 

Offline WalkingOnThickIce

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 12, 2021, 10:03 AM »
Cheers, thanks for the advice. I do like fishing lake of bays area a little more than Simcoe, but it's wherever the opportunity presents itself.

Offline cdwester

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Nothing better than hot fishing on a cold day!
« Reply #3 on: Jan 13, 2021, 10:10 AM »
Never caught a whitefish on Lake of Bays but some decent Lakers.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.