Author Topic: 1st Crappie outing this ice season.  (Read 1266 times)

Offline viciouscircle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • sure its thick enough to hold our weight, after u
1st Crappie outing this ice season.
« on: Dec 15, 2020, 11:30 PM »
I had planned to be more adventurous on my day off but time kind of slips away sometimes and I was still farting around at home by 2 pm leaving only 2 hours to fish with the shorter winter days.

2 minutes by quad puts me on a crappie spot just around our bay’s point, a very popular, well known spot next to the town’s Ice Road and Govt. Dock. It’s been fishable for the last 2 weeks with 8”-9” inches of ice out there now. I had heard stories that so far this year it has been slow fishing, but given my options were limited by time it was, in my estimate, my best option.

Missed a couple straight off the bat, took me half an hour to remember how to crappie fish, and the peculiarities and habits of the fish at this spot. With about 25 holes drilled in a grid I started hole hopping. Rod and fish finder in hand off I went trolling. Drop the transducer, check for a nice mark, if nothing there move to the next hole without even dropping a line. I would say I would mark a fish every 6-7 holes I tried.

I was fishing in 30”FOW and the fish would show suspended at around 21’FOW. They were fussy, had to be very patient and tease them to bite. Ended up with 10 fish  between 13” and 10”, left before sunset as I was not expecting to catch much and now I had supper to make.... lol.

"SAY HELLO TO MY LITTLE FRIEND!"

Offline Tye

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: 1st Crappie outing this ice season.
« Reply #1 on: Jan 13, 2021, 06:08 AM »
Looks like a great time.

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
Re: 1st Crappie outing this ice season.
« Reply #2 on: Jan 13, 2021, 06:15 AM »
congrats!  gota like a guy that gets excited about going home to clean and fry fish!  :thumbsup:  I know the feeling.
real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.