Author Topic: Very thick ice  (Read 12799 times)

Offline Saskbush

• IceShanty Rookie
Very thick ice
« on: Feb 21, 2007, 02:29 PM »
This was emailed to me today and had to share. I wonder if this is real and if it is I think I give up before I went that far.

First time I posted a link so I hope I did it right.

http://s169.photobucket.com/albums/u217/saskbush/?action=view&current=thelonrivermay12.flv

Offline pikemaster789

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Very thick ice
« Reply #1 on: Feb 21, 2007, 02:30 PM »
this was already posted recently, but still a great vid
                      The official Padwan Shirt of the MIRC    MIRC! iced out!

Offline snot rocket

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Feb 21, 2007, 10:21 PM »
you know...first time isaw this i was like...WOW!!! but after seeing it a second time i'm wondering where is the pile of ice shavings? for 10 feetofice there would be amountain of shavingsaround the hole dont you think. clean smooth ice all around im suspicious.

Snot Rocket
I’VE BEEN TO BOTH POLES…HAVE YOU?

Offline Neptune

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "The Kokanee Killers"
« Reply #3 on: Feb 21, 2007, 10:36 PM »
I don't care if its real or not...that auger is friggin' HUGE :o :o

Offline fishinfiend

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Feb 22, 2007, 07:13 AM »
that is the biggest auger i have ever seen :o

Offline pikemaster789

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 22, 2007, 09:35 AM »
you know...first time isaw this i was like...WOW!!! but after seeing it a second time i'm wondering where is the pile of ice shavings? for 10 feetofice there would be amountain of shavingsaround the hole dont you think. clean smooth ice all around im suspicious.

Snot Rocket

thats a good point, I didnt even think of that

Offline hawgerdawger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 22, 2007, 10:14 AM »

Snot Rocket

Yep, I've gotta call BS on that one. That is a beast of an auger, though!

"Bragging may not bring happiness, but no man having caught a large fish goes home through an alley." --Unknown

Offline hardwater Rick

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • THROW THE SMALL ONES BACK!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #7 on: Feb 22, 2007, 03:12 PM »
I wonder how they started the hole standing on there shoulders  ha ha

Offline pikemaster789

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Feb 22, 2007, 03:17 PM »
I wonder how they started the hole standing on there shoulders  ha ha

they could have drilled 3 feet witha regular auger, add an extension, drill another 3 feet, and so on

Offline fishermanjake

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • Way to go honey!!!
« Reply #9 on: Feb 22, 2007, 03:33 PM »
I bet its real, the auger has got to be 3HP or better to do that and regular extentions wouldn't work due to the hole filling with shaving and bogging down the motor.  Plus Nunavut I think is in very northern canada and the ice could get that thick because the snow would be blown off.  Probobly what happened to alot of the shavings.  You would be surprized bu how little a big pile of shaving looks on camera as well.  My bet is this is probably real.

Offline artycat

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Feb 22, 2007, 04:27 PM »
You can see them bust through the last bit of ice just before they pull it out, I'm sure it's real.

Offline Bassfishin1983

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fishin Till The Day I Die!
« Reply #11 on: Feb 25, 2007, 10:36 AM »
This cant be real, but a cool vid though.
Its Just A Way Of Life, Some People Just Dont Understand.

Offline buckmanJR86

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Mar 01, 2007, 01:12 PM »
I think it real. After the first 3 feet or so, the ice shavings would most likely stay in the hole. You would just need one heck of a ladle

Offline ChenBassHead

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Bandito
« Reply #13 on: Mar 01, 2007, 01:38 PM »
You can see them bust through the last bit of ice just before they pull it out, I'm sure it's real.
Took the words right out of my mouth....er, off my fingers.  They could've been clearing the shavings away too, whenever they added an extension...just to make things easier.

-Zach

Offline hawgerdawger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Mar 02, 2007, 10:10 AM »
Did you guys notice the third driller on the grassy knoll?  :D

In support of this video, I will say that there's likely a reason they have that many auger extensions. That makes me think maybe this video is real.

BUT ... The absence of any other equipment or shavings makes me suspicious for some reason. I don't even see tools to add extensions.

I've read that ice with such thickness exists and people drill through it to fish. However, this video could have been shot in a Nebraska pasture for all I know. Call me crazy, but I am not able to "see" the two gentlemen break through the last bit of ice. I see them making a motion like they are breaking through the last bit of ice. It could very well be real, but it hasn't convinced me beyond reasonable doubt. (And, no, I didn't serve on OJ's jury)  :)

"Bragging may not bring happiness, but no man having caught a large fish goes home through an alley." --Unknown

Offline icefishmaine

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Mar 02, 2007, 02:40 PM »
I dont see wat is so suspicous about this.....why would they have an auger of that size if they didnt need it? lol and you can clearly see the shavings as well as the water and slush that comes up when they pull it out.

Offline PERCHPULLER

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Perchpuller
« Reply #16 on: Mar 08, 2007, 06:31 PM »
Wheres the ladder they used to start the hole? ::)
All fishermen are liars except for you and me,and sometimes I wonder about you!

Offline Wissota Bear

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Sep 15, 2007, 09:35 PM »
I want ice, but not that much ice

Offline dabber-doo

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Dreaming about big gills and crappies !!!
« Reply #18 on: Sep 16, 2007, 08:36 PM »
I want ice, but not that much ice
Same here !!!!!!!!!!!! :o :o
I've was on the ice and fishing Nov. 23rd 2008 and don't plan on stopping tell spring breakup 2009 !!!!

Offline GAMBELL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 41" PIKE 2005!
« Reply #19 on: Sep 16, 2007, 09:36 PM »
In one of last years In-fisherman mags, they showed a smal picture of a guy with an auger like this.  The article talked about starting the hole standing on the tail gate of a truck.  In this particular article, they were drilling through 7 - 8' of ice.

Offline dabber-doo

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Dreaming about big gills and crappies !!!
« Reply #20 on: Sep 16, 2007, 09:44 PM »
In one of last years In-fisherman mags, they showed a smal picture of a guy with an auger like this.  The article talked about starting the hole standing on the tail gate of a truck.  In this particular article, they were drilling through 7 - 8' of ice.
That's still a little to much ice for me.
I've was on the ice and fishing Nov. 23rd 2008 and don't plan on stopping tell spring breakup 2009 !!!!

Offline jayswimmer09

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • flag!!! dont u love that word?
« Reply #21 on: Sep 17, 2007, 06:32 PM »
thats insane!!!

Offline esox13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Sep 17, 2007, 09:19 PM »
cool video regardless of it's legitimacy.

want to plan a trip to Nunavat for your next ice fishing trip check this out. http://www.nunavuthandbook.com

Offline Saskbush

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Oct 12, 2007, 04:07 AM »
Just thought that I would add a note about this vid. It was sent to me me from a friend that works for environment Canada. They do drilling all over the country to test water quality. She said this vid was from one of there tests in NWT. So I do believe it is true.

Offline vermonner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Take me to your icefishing leader
« Reply #24 on: Oct 12, 2007, 06:50 AM »
...I believe.  Nunnavut is way the heck up there, right?  This would be fun to do once.  Imagine setting multiple tip ups all day long, adding/removing extensions.
On the skeptical side of things, where's the 55 gallon drum of gas/oil they would need to get through that much ice?

The employment of effort, hard work, time, and energy put in locating fish will offend noone.

Offline duck doctor

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Oct 12, 2007, 07:03 AM »
I was unsure myself. But I watched it 3 more times to be sure. If you look behind the guy on the left, you will see a pile of shavings behind him.  Looks like they might have cleared the first pile and then started the second.  Also, I was watching for water when the auger was being pulled out. There was plenty of water.  I say this video is real.

Offline TGF

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I'm keeping my eye on you guys.....
« Reply #26 on: Oct 12, 2007, 11:27 AM »
 I have a work acquaintance up in Cambridge Bay and he says they regularly get 10-14 feet of ice. They do drill thru that much by attaching extensions and standing on the top of their snowmachine seat. As for tools for changing extensions and drums (being in video) maybe they moved them out of the way so we wouldn't see them to make the WOW factor really big when they pulled the auger out of ice.

Offline Kyle_

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #27 on: Oct 15, 2007, 08:46 PM »
of course this is real, its the freaking arctic up there.  Its too bad that 99% of every movie/picture posted on the internet now is called "fake" :-\

Offline CrappieBuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Oct 15, 2007, 09:15 PM »
When I was a young one I seen 32 inches of ice in "Iowa"............ So anything is possible....  I think we used a handauger also,down on our hands and knees of course.  No wonder my elbow is jacked at the age of 23 ;D

Offline comp

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Oct 18, 2007, 12:03 AM »
Ice Road Truckers baby!!!!!!!  With no snow it insulate the ice it very easily could be that thick.  Northern MN gets over 4 feet thick,

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.