Author Topic: Night Walleye Bite  (Read 4097 times)

Offline GNT

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater 24/7
Night Walleye Bite
« on: Dec 07, 2006, 04:57 PM »
Does anyone have any suggestions what to use for night walleye early ice fishing. We are heading out tommorow evening for a few hours. I am thinking of using glow jigs and jigging rapalas tipped with minnows.

yankem

Re: Night Walleye Bite
« Reply #1 on: Dec 07, 2006, 05:00 PM »
Depends on your lake of choice brother. On mine I prefer deadstick "Blues" backhooked lightly, let em swim.

yankem

« Reply #2 on: Dec 07, 2006, 05:04 PM »
And oh, add some light!

Offline holeinhide

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • have ice will fish!!
« Reply #3 on: Dec 07, 2006, 05:05 PM »
Sounds like a good start to me just remember don't over glow. walleye see quite well in the dark and I find a slight glow from a small MAG light or lantern works better than a fresh charge from a flash type charger.

yankem

« Reply #4 on: Dec 07, 2006, 05:08 PM »
Sounds like a good start to me just remember don't over glow. walleye see quite well in the dark and I find a slight glow from a small MAG light or lantern works better than a fresh charge from a flash type charger.

HiH, you get ice in GA?  ???

Offline holeinhide

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • have ice will fish!!
« Reply #5 on: Dec 07, 2006, 06:27 PM »
No I spent most of my life in NY and PA also some time in CA, TX, GA, AK and a few others in my line of work you really get around. By the end of next month I will be back in PA and can't wait 4 years with out ice is killing me. :'(

Offline beeverfishing

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Dec 07, 2006, 10:57 PM »
By the end of next month I will be back in PA and can't wait 4 years with out ice is killing me. :'(

And I thought waiting 10 months for ice was too long.

Offline holeinhide

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • have ice will fish!!
« Reply #7 on: Dec 08, 2006, 03:35 AM »
And I thought waiting 10 months for ice was too long.
A good thing is worth the wait but back on topic I have been ice fishing for over 20 years and what i said above comes from my experiences and from talking with other old timers. Over glow will make em look but shy away from the bite. if all you have is a small flash light that works best it gives that dark erie glow the kind fish like....

Offline icontact

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 08, 2006, 10:39 AM »
I have also had luck at night with high vibration lures. Chubby darter, cicada and blue fox tingler.
I gotta chubby

walleyechaser

« Reply #9 on: Dec 08, 2006, 01:39 PM »
rattle spoons tipped with a fathead always worked well for me. 
Lantern helps but isn't necessary.  They'll also hit tip ups after dark.

Offline Shrek

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 08, 2006, 05:16 PM »
Walleye move in shallow at night, don't make the mistake of staying out deeper where you caught them during the day. You would be suprised how shallow they will go at night. Good luck, keep it shallow  ;D
Even a bad day fishing beats a good day at work.

Offline Muskie Nut

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 26, 2007, 01:43 AM »
Walleye move in shallow at night, don't make the mistake of staying out deeper where you caught them during the day. You would be suprised how shallow they will go at night. Good luck, keep it shallow  ;D
I didn't know that.  I'm planning on going out after work Friday, working 2nd shift I'll probably be set up by midnight.  Before reading this, I was going to try deeper areas further away from my shanty.  But now maybe I'll hit the shallows which is what my shanty is over.
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Offline perch-man

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Born To FISH Forced To Work
« Reply #12 on: Jan 26, 2007, 12:41 PM »
Has anyone tried Northland rattlin buckshot spoon 1\8 at night . I just go one last night it looks good ?

Offline crappie78

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 26, 2007, 12:47 PM »
Most eyes I get at night are in 12 feet of water or less.  I have even caught them in 4 feet of water.  Minnows and swim baits work the best for me.

Offline bladebait

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Keep Your Line Wet And Your Noodles Warm!
« Reply #14 on: Jan 29, 2007, 08:27 AM »
Like fishing the shallow water at night on sandbars next to some deep water.Like fishing between 6-10fow.Many times the fish in the shallow water are looking for food and when I spot them on the Vex they will generally be aggressive.They see perfectly well in the dark. I like to use a jigging Rapala with just the minnow head.
Some men fish real hard but only "real men" fish hardwater!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.