Author Topic: Lateral Line  (Read 1541 times)

walleyechaser

Lateral Line
« on: Jan 15, 2007, 08:40 AM »
I always cut this out when I filet walleyes.  But I've noticed its more prominent in certain waters.
Seems like cleaner lakes the eyes have a less defined lateral line (brown layer just under the skin on filets)

Anyone else notice?  I wonder why?  The eyes we get from St. Clair river have a real brown looking line.
Some of the cleaner inland lakes you can hardly see it.  Think it has something to do with clean water?

Slip I'd really like to hear your experience with this since you get "sushi grade walleyes"

Offline littleoldlady

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Lateral Line
« Reply #1 on: Jan 15, 2007, 09:01 AM »
I always cut this out when I filet walleyes.  But I've noticed its more prominent in certain waters.
Seems like cleaner lakes the eyes have a less defined lateral line (brown layer just under the skin on filets)

Anyone else notice?  I wonder why?  The eyes we get from St. Clair river have a real brown looking line.
Some of the cleaner inland lakes you can hardly see it.  Think it has something to do with clean water?

Slip I'd really like to hear your experience with this since you get "sushi grade walleyes"
Up here, the walleye have barely any lateral line at all...and clear, cold water. So your theory is
probably right on. I've heard that the contaminants in the water concentrate in that line and in the belly meat fat.
 It also gives the flesh a stronger, almost "off" taste...the farther south I go, the more prominant that line
is.
Winter is the time of year toward which all that has gone before
seems but a preparation....winter, a quiet acceptance of what is
to come....Sigurd F. Olsen

Offline AugustWest

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Lateral Line
« Reply #2 on: Jan 15, 2007, 08:54 PM »
PW BAIT...is a firm believer in the bleeding of fish!!!
I agree...but there had better be ice :o
Summer it's Cubes...Winter it's walked on :whistle:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.