Author Topic: # of bearings in a spinning reel.  (Read 1760 times)

Offline 74redone

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • "EVERYDAY IS A HOLIDAY"
# of bearings in a spinning reel.
« on: Dec 20, 2013, 10:41 PM »
Is the number of bearings in a spinning reel really that big of a deal? I have reeled reels that have 4BB that feels a lot smoother than one that has 10BB. Is it just a scheme to make us to think more id better? I have been looking at Daiwa spinning reels and they have some very expensive reels that only have 4BB. They have less expensive reels that have 10BB. Just thought somebody out there that maybe works on them could shed a little light on this for me.
 Thanks
  Matt

Offline jbird68

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: # of bearings in a spinning reel.
« Reply #1 on: Dec 21, 2013, 06:47 AM »
I've thought the same thing. I bought a Shakespeare reel at walmart for $19.00 and that has to be one of my smoothest reels. Not sure how many bearings are in it. it's and ultra light reel that I've caught bass, bluegill, crappie and catfish with. The catfish was 11 1/2 pounds.
jbird68

Offline 1moslab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 21, 2013, 01:54 PM »
in my experience it is more the quality of the reel than the # of bearings I have held some with high bearings counts that felt like crap and vice versa I know there is some on here that might not agree but one that comes right to mind is the okumas high bearing count and rough.i personally like shimano and daiwa.

Offline frostbittin

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #3 on: Dec 21, 2013, 06:23 PM »
Shimano reels generally have alot less bearings then most reels, yet are as smooth as silk. They are all i buy now, when you turn the reels the handle will spin on its own.... That's smooth

Offline DoctorPerch

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 21, 2013, 07:55 PM »
Unfortunately as you have determined, the number of bearings does not always tell the story.  The QUALITY of the bearings themselves is a better indication.  Better bearings have balls which are uniform in size (matching each other), have a high degree of symmetry (i.e., closer to perfectly round than cheaper bearings), very smooth (no scratches or surface defects).  The races in which the bearings are enclosed have better uniformity, symmetry and smoothness as well.  So if you put better tolerance (uniform) bearings into better tolerance races, you get the smoothness we all want. There are rating systems for bearings which engineers use to choose the best bearing for their application.  One rating system, ABEC, deals with tolerances only and is the most used US Standard.  Other ratings take into account the characteristics listed above as well as wear ratings for longevity.  Better bearings, higher cost.  Simple as that.  The consumer has no access in most cases to that information, unless they have an inside track to engineering.

Here is an article on Bearings 101 for Fishing Reels for those who have no ice to fish on yet:

http://www.tackletour.com/articlebearings101.html

Offline perchbrad

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 23, 2013, 07:57 AM »
Machining and design plays a bigger role than how many bearings in my opinion, this comes only from quality.  Diawa reels have never been on my top list, always had problems with them, only used spinning reels though. 
BAIT (√) BEER (√) SHANTY (√) FISH (?) STORY (√)

Offline CavScout

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 23, 2013, 08:26 AM »
Shimano reels generally have alot less bearings then most reels, yet are as smooth as silk. They are all i buy now, when you turn the reels the handle will spin on its own.... That's smooth

x2  These were my thoughts to the tee....
US Army Cavalry Scout 2007-Present 

"The Only Thing Necessary for the Triumph of Evil is that Good Men Do Nothing"-Edmund Burke

Offline jbird68

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 23, 2013, 04:12 PM »
I bought a shimano sedona and when I set the hook on a bass the gears just shattered. Also bight a Orra 30 and the plastic arm to the bale broke the second day I got it.
jbird68

Offline perchbrad

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 26, 2013, 07:00 AM »
I always had excellent performance with Pflueger Trion ultra light reels, reasonably priced and bullet proof in my opinion.  I use these for stream fishing trout mainly, but have one ice rod set up with one on it....awesome!
BAIT (√) BEER (√) SHANTY (√) FISH (?) STORY (√)

Offline motorfixer1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Dec 26, 2013, 06:34 PM »
I bought a couple of the spinning ultralight "Fish Eagle" reels from Cabela's at the advice of an old cocker that I have fished with for years. To say the least I am totally impressed on the quality and smoothness of the reels. The spools are aluminum, drag is smooth and nicely adjustable, handle and retaining screw are strong and made from aluminum also, infinite anti-reverse is spot on, and can be had for under $30 on sale what's not to love. It's pretty easy to pick the Fish Eagle from Cabela's when they display it right next to the hundred dollar equivalent name brand reel and it actually feels smother and is a third the price. Just my $.02.

Offline pisces

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 28, 2013, 07:48 AM »
Which of the reels  are you talking about ? The Cabelas'  "Fish Eagles" come in a few different models . They have the Fish Eagle "Classic" on sale for $14.99 in the Bargain Cave in normally $30.00 . Thanks !

Offline 1moslab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Dec 28, 2013, 07:56 AM »
I picked one up a year or 2ago and was surprised how heavy it was but I see they have a lighter one out now which one do you have?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.