Author Topic: Opinion on Best Auger to use with Clam Plate  (Read 1054 times)

Offline Huntnfish2

• IceShanty Rookie
Opinion on Best Auger to use with Clam Plate
« on: Jan 25, 2022, 07:28 PM »
Well the subject kinda says it all. As I'm getting older and probably lazier! I'm thinking about getting a clam plate to use with a Milwaukee M18 Fuel hammer drill. The Jiffy Model 30 is getting too heavy. A friend of mine has one with the Clam 6" auger that they sell with a package. It drills fine. As I'm hoping to find some after season deals I'm doing my research now. I rarely drill more than 12" thick ice. I would like something with maybe a 7" size for just a little more room. Thanks in advance and tight lines!

Offline Catchabigone

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Opinion on Best Auger to use with Clam Plate
« Reply #1 on: Jan 25, 2022, 07:48 PM »
Been using one for 3 years with no complaints, using a 6 inch lazer.
Dear Lord, grant me the serenity to accept the size of the fish I catch, the courage not to lie about it and the wisdom to know that none of my fishing buddies would believe me anyway… Amen.

Offline Arctic Addict

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Flagggg!!!!!
« Reply #2 on: Jan 25, 2022, 07:53 PM »
I am running an 8" HT E-Drill on my Clamplate and loving it.  It cuts FAST! 
"Hope" is not a good fishing strategy!

Offline robert.d12

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 25, 2022, 08:01 PM »
I put an 8” lazer on mine. Cuts just fine and was cheap. If you can stick to 7” it saves the battery quite a bit

Offline ChrisL

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 25, 2022, 08:02 PM »
I have a 7.5" K-Drill with a Dewalt drill.  My drill has the auxiliary handle and I don't really see the need for the clam plate.  It is the only auger I have used, so it is my favorite.  :)

Offline Old Goat

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 26, 2022, 03:44 AM »
why limit yourself to one size

Online hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #6 on: Jan 26, 2022, 04:33 AM »
Huntnfish2 a 7 in auger limits your options to metal hand augers...for a good auger you will want a center point and a centering/break through ring ...then its

All about the blades .1).K-Drill has Chipper style great for dirty ice Slowest and uses more battery ..2)Shaver style blade or Mora type ..Pistol Bit ..HT E-Drill ..Cableas Eze ..pretty fast and can be hand sharpen with some practice ..replacement blades fairly inexpensive . 3) Lazer/curved style blades or  ..Lite flight .. ..fastest but if used on dirty ice game over ..ie paper weight..replacement blades lil pricey.. I am not familar with the Razr ..but believe they have Lazer style blades .. next is weight ..metal heavier ..composite lighter . Having a center point is a great option ..most hand augers do not ..so skipping on glare ice is quite possible/dangerous . As for the Drill you will be using ..Brushless 725 in/lbs or better with 5ah battery or better..IF YOU GO WITH A UNDER POWERED UNDERTORQUED PICTURE HANGING /SHE SHED DRILL SET UP IT WILL BE AN EPIC FAIL EVENTUALLY..Buy the right drill and battery set up .

Make/Model                                          Price

Vevor ..........                   Mora/straight   $$
HT Enterprise E Drill..   Mora/Straight    $$$
Eskimo Pistol Bit/ION.. Mora/Straight     $$$$
Strikemaster Lite Flite.  Lazer/Curved    $$$$
K Drill...                      Chipper             $$$$
Cabelas Eze Drill..........Mora/Straight    $$$
Nils.................. ..........                       $$$$$
Razr S                                                 $$$
Mora hand auger....     Mora/Straight      $$

List of battle tested drills and specifications 

Dewalt DCD991

Dewalt DCD996

Dewalt DCD997

Dewalt DCD998 must use 6ah or better Flexvolt battery to achieve the higher advertised torque

Dewalt DCD999 must use 6ah or better Flexvolt battery to achieve the higher advertised torque

Milwaukee 2804-20

Milwaukee 2803-20

Spec for the proper drill

18V or Higher Brushless Drill

5 Amp Hour or Higher Battery

1/2” Chuck Type

Side Stabilizer /  Handle

Minimum Torque Rating of 84 Nm / 750 in. lbs/800 UWO

DRILL SETTING ....DRILL MODE.. Speed Set
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #7 on: Jan 26, 2022, 05:58 AM »
Don't forget the Mini Nero 7" cuts superfast. Been using one several years now. Never tried my 6" and it just sits in the shed brand new.
<===Lefty===

Offline Old Yellaw

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 26, 2022, 07:24 AM »
I hear you made the change last year in January tried my buddy's Eskimo pistol bit 8 inch with Dewalt DCD996 brushless (8 lbs. drill n auger) never looked back . Sold my 30 yrs old Jiffy Model 30 10 inch ( 50 lbs. I weigh auger n motor) in the spring for $200 .
You wont regret the switchover.

Offline perch chacer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 26, 2022, 02:05 PM »
Huntnfish2 a 7 in auger limits your options to metal hand augers...for a good auger you will want a center point and a centering/break through ring ...then its

All about the blades .1).K-Drill has Chipper style great for dirty ice Slowest and uses more battery ..2)Shaver style blade or Mora type ..Pistol Bit ..HT E-Drill ..Cableas Eze ..pretty fast and can be hand sharpen with some practice ..replacement blades fairly inexpensive . 3) Lazer/curved style blades or  ..Lite flight .. ..fastest but if used on dirty ice game over ..ie paper weight..replacement blades lil pricey.. I am not familar with the Razr ..but believe they have Lazer style blades .. next is weight ..metal heavier ..composite lighter . Having a center point is a great option ..most hand augers do not ..so skipping on glare ice is quite possible/dangerous . As for the Drill you will be using ..Brushless 725 in/lbs or better with 5ah battery or better..IF YOU GO WITH A UNDER POWERED UNDERTORQUED PICTURE HANGING /SHE SHED DRILL SET UP IT WILL BE AN EPIC FAIL EVENTUALLY..Buy the right drill and battery set up .

Dewalt DCD991

Dewalt DCD996

Dewalt DCD997

Dewalt DCD998 must use 6ah or better Flexvolt battery to achieve the higher advertised torque

Dewalt DCD999 must use 6ah or better Flexvolt battery to achieve the higher advertised torque

Milwaukee 2804-20

Milwaukee 2803-20

1/2” Chuck Type

Great Info, must have took awhile to research all those drills and augers.  This will give anyone any combination they want.  No need to tell anyone of a specific drill and auger.  My drill and auger are in your list and I have them mounted to a Clam Plate.  Wouldn't leave home without it.

Offline Huntnfish2

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 26, 2022, 04:44 PM »

Wow, this is an amazing list which must have took a bunch of time to research. Far more info than I had hoped for. Now to just decide. Thanks to all who have responded so far!

Dewalt DCD991

Dewalt DCD996

Dewalt DCD997

Milwaukee 2804-20

Milwaukee 2803-20

1/2” Chuck Type

Offline Huntnfish2

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 26, 2022, 04:46 PM »
Wow, Thanks for all the info and time this must have taken. Now I just need to decide. Great points in above post and Thanks to all for your input and suggestions!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.