Author Topic: sidexside/UTV on ice  (Read 2101 times)

Offline Salmonquest

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "I once killed a gopher with a stick"
sidexside/UTV on ice
« on: Jan 19, 2022, 10:38 AM »
HI Everyone. I found a good deal on a Honda Pioneer 500. I'm picking it up this week. I'd like some feedback on use on the ice. I'm worried snow depth will be an issue. SHould I look into chains. This model is on the smaller side and I believe weighs in about 1000 lbs. I"m a bit concerned about ice thickness needing to be 8" or more to support it.

I have considered buying tracks. They seem amazing but are pretty pricey. Any input is greatly appreciated as always.

Also if anyone has any mod tips I'd love that. I need to build a deck on the cargo rack in back.

Offline Arctic Addict

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Flagggg!!!!!
Re: sidexside/UTV on ice
« Reply #1 on: Jan 19, 2022, 11:51 AM »
Congrats on the purchase.  Chains work very well.  I picked up a set of the studded diamond chains a while ago and love them.  Ground clearance is another issue in the deep stuff.  I'm guess you could lift your machine 3" and add taller aggressive tires with chains for way less than buying tracks. 

Tracks are great but between the cost, installation and wear on the steering i passed.  Good luck on your other mods.  If it doesn't have a winch, put one on it.  Then carry an extra strap and an winching anchor to drop down an ice hole  to get yourself unstuck.
"Hope" is not a good fishing strategy!

Offline maximus4444

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 19, 2022, 01:11 PM »
I'm not sure what all comes on your Pioneer.  On my Arctic Cat Prowler 700... there's a few must haves that I had to mod.

1. Roof and windshield.  Absolute game changer.  Must have IMO
2. Winch - I use my machine for plowing too.
3. Amazon (nilight) LED light bars.  I added a 40" bar to the front and a couple of smaller light pods on the back.
4. Battery isolator. https://www.trueam.com/product/true-utv-sbi-15cm-isolator-with-connect-and-monitor-kit/
     This is a nice to have.  Always ensures your battery isn't going to be drained by anything drawing on it. 
5. I also added remote battery terminals for ease of charging the battery. 

Last February, I took my machine to central wisconsin.  There was a lot of recent snowfall.  Probably a total of 8" on the ice.  I struggled with getting through it.  I don't have chains/studs.  At that depth of snow, I think you'd want a snowmobile instead.  Never thought about the tracks because of the cost.

Offline Salmonquest

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 19, 2022, 01:13 PM »
Congrats on the purchase.  Chains work very well.  I picked up a set of the studded diamond chains a while ago and love them.  Ground clearance is another issue in the deep stuff.  I'm guess you could lift your machine 3" and add taller aggressive tires with chains for way less than buying tracks. 

Tracks are great but between the cost, installation and wear on the steering i passed.  Good luck on your other mods.  If it doesn't have a winch, put one on it.  Then carry an extra strap and an winching anchor to drop down an ice hole  to get yourself unstuck.

Thanks for the tip. I'll look into the lift and taller tires! I ordered a winch and mount. That's a great point about the anchor. I'll rig that up. I'm thinking 10-12" chunk of 4x4?

Offline Salmonquest

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 19, 2022, 01:19 PM »
Thanks Maximus.

It has a windshield. I ordered a hard top and rear soft curtain today as well as winch today.

Are there often problems with the battery dieing?

Is there anything specific you needed the added lights for?

Offline Arctic Addict

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Flagggg!!!!!
« Reply #5 on: Jan 19, 2022, 02:19 PM »

Thanks for the tip. I'll look into the lift and taller tires! I ordered a winch and mount. That's a great point about the anchor. I'll rig that up. I'm thinking 10-12" chunk of 4x4?

The 4x4 will do it.  Just make sure it's a little longer than the diameter hole you cut. Keep us updated with your mods, love to see pics of creative mods.  This is my 4 wheeler set up for ice fishing.  I run an Otter box with the auger and bait bucket holder.  I have my Garmin mounted on the handlebars which is helpful when travelling on and off the ice at night.  Goof luck with your build.

Offline grizzlyhackle

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Jan 19, 2022, 02:39 PM »
I love the 500/520 platform...

Offline Salmonquest

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 20, 2022, 09:58 AM »
arctic addict: That's a sweet rig. I like the auger set up. That's my primary concern first.

Also who power supply are you using for your garmin? I'm currently considering just setting it on the seat net to me but I may have to install the ram mount.

Offline sra61

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Jan 20, 2022, 10:43 AM »
We put a set of Camoplast tracks that we found used on our 2010 Ranger, and I'm telling you it turned an already good machine into an absolute BEAST! Last weekend we were accessing the lake on a horrible steep, muddy shoreline. I would never have used it as an access point, but that's where we were. We were able to just crawl right up and down that thing with no problem at all. When we pulled out we were pulling two heavy flipovers, and a fully loaded Otter Magnum sled right up the muddy mess without any problem whatsoever. We calculated the psi load and it's somewhere near .8 psi. My feet put 2.6 psi load on the ice!

Offline Salmonquest

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 20, 2022, 10:52 AM »
We put a set of Camoplast tracks that we found used on our 2010 Ranger, and I'm telling you it turned an already good machine into an absolute BEAST! Last weekend we were accessing the lake on a horrible steep, muddy shoreline. I would never have used it as an access point, but that's where we were. We were able to just crawl right up and down that thing with no problem at all. When we pulled out we were pulling two heavy flipovers, and a fully loaded Otter Magnum sled right up the muddy mess without any problem whatsoever. We calculated the psi load and it's somewhere near .8 psi. My feet put 2.6 psi load on the ice!

You're killing me with that! I really want to add the tracks but it's gonna have to wait a year or so until I can come up with the $$ Sweet Rig!!

Offline grizzlyhackle

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Jan 20, 2022, 11:12 AM »

How much did you end up paying for the used set? Did you have to buy a conversion kit? Tracks are high up on my list - was going to buy a set of Camso UTV 4S1 but wanted to see how it did with chains this season…haven’t needed chains yet

Offline Alex Delarge

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Jan 20, 2022, 11:40 AM »
I have tracks, they are ok. I’ve been stuck in slush. Don’t expect to cruise around at 30 mph with them.

If you get tracks you’re gonna want doors and a windshield
It must be something in the water.

Offline Salmonquest

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 20, 2022, 11:45 AM »
I have tracks, they are ok. I’ve been stuck in slush. Don’t expect to cruise around at 30 mph with them.

If you get tracks you’re gonna want doors and a windshield
What would you say is the biggest draw backs to tracks? other then speed.

Offline Kidder

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 20, 2022, 12:03 PM »
Chains are good and do help alot. But tracks are awesome. Keep looking for a used set on fb marketplace or Craigslist.  I got my set for $2200. They came with the right mounts for my commander that I owned at the time. When I bought my pioneer 1000 it costed roughly $600 for the parts needed to convert.

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #14 on: Jan 20, 2022, 12:31 PM »
 ;D

Offline Salmonquest

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 20, 2022, 01:15 PM »
Frickin' Sweeet!!!! :o

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Jan 20, 2022, 01:24 PM »

Hey AA, where did you go for the chains for the big tires? I'm running 30x10.5x12s and it's been tough finding an aggressive set that size that isn't stupid money... found plenty of regular truck chains that size but most are just chain, no v bar or studs...
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline Alex Delarge

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Jan 20, 2022, 02:48 PM »
What would you say is the biggest draw backs to tracks? other then speed.
Gas mileage is very bad
It must be something in the water.

Offline sra61

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Jan 20, 2022, 05:40 PM »
How much did you end up paying for the used set? Did you have to buy a conversion kit? Tracks are high up on my list - was going to buy a set of Camso UTV 4S1 but wanted to see how it did with chains this season…haven’t needed chains yet
We got the tracks for $4000, then had to get a $500 kit for them to mount. I couldn't care less about speed. Goes fast enough for me. Fuel consumption on our Ranger is awesome actually too. Running probably 10 miles each day for four days We might have used one tank of gas?

Offline Arctic Addict

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Flagggg!!!!!
« Reply #19 on: Jan 20, 2022, 09:55 PM »
arctic addict: That's a sweet rig. I like the auger set up. That's my primary concern first.

Also who power supply are you using for your garmin? I'm currently considering just setting it on the seat net to me but I may have to install the ram mount.

I have it connected to an accessory battery nestled away in the otter box.  I leave it on all day long and never have to worry about the wheeler not starting. 

Offline Arctic Addict

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Flagggg!!!!!
« Reply #20 on: Jan 20, 2022, 10:10 PM »
Hey AA, where did you go for the chains for the big tires? I'm running 30x10.5x12s and it's been tough finding an aggressive set that size that isn't stupid money... found plenty of regular truck chains that size but most are just chain, no v bar or studs...

Hi Stealth, the company i got them from is called Grizzlar.  I think they were the GTN-732 for a 29.5" tire.  I had to add a stainless link but the Can Am XMR has massive lugs.

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Jan 21, 2022, 08:45 AM »
Hi Stealth, the company i got them from is called Grizzlar.  I think they were the GTN-732 for a 29.5" tire.  I had to add a stainless link but the Can Am XMR has massive lugs.
I run grizzlers. On mine as well..the studded net chains  are good with the aggressive tread on the can am.
 I wrapped  the brake line with rubber, just in case they loosen up.. first season I had them, a frozen slush build up took out the brake line.
"A mans got to know his limitations"

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Jan 21, 2022, 09:42 AM »

Thanks, that's the best price I've seen yet by quite a bit at $200 a pair, before that the best I seen for studded for 31s were $336 a pair... I suspect I'd have to add some links as well, my 30s with 6 psi are 30 3/4", if they were bias-plys I'd run them as low as 2 psi to get some shrink but don't like running radials that low.
Tough to tell from your pic, looks like you're on silverbacks? I ran a set of 32" Silverbacks for a while when it was a open class pit rig but couldn't run the footwells with the 32s so sold them for the maxxis blackwaters that are on it now, the cold cutter studs up front rub the footwells when turning but no way I'm snow riding with just pegs and no footwell lol...
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline Arctic Addict

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Flagggg!!!!!
« Reply #23 on: Jan 21, 2022, 02:11 PM »
My tires are ITP Cryptid 30".  Yours seem to be a bit bigger which should be even better.  The Can Am does very well in fairly deep snow and slush with those tires.  I find myself using the snowmobile less and less with this set up.  It's a breeze to hook up the wheelhouse and tow compared to towing it with the snowmobile.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.