Author Topic: Night fishing for crappies?  (Read 9355 times)

Offline BigBry

• IceShanty Rookie
Night fishing for crappies?
« on: Dec 21, 2008, 05:26 PM »
how does night fishing compare to day fishing for crappies?  is it better or worse? thxs guys
Where Land Ends Life Begins

Offline Swift

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Night fishing for crappies?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 21, 2008, 06:57 PM »
If you're on them and they're hitting I don't see much difference. Easier to see previous holes and be location oriented during the day but that's about it for me.

Offline BigBry

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 23, 2008, 04:42 PM »
ANYONE ELSE?

Offline fishfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Dec 23, 2008, 06:04 PM »
I have great luck at night on certain ponds. Others are not so productive.

Offline BigBry

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 23, 2008, 06:10 PM »
I have great luck at night on certain ponds. Others are not so productive.
what do you use at night? and do you ahve to use glow jigs and other glow products

Offline Rat-Man

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Dec 23, 2008, 06:46 PM »
 Used to do a lot of night fishing in my younger days , used to put a fuel oil burner in the center for heat and drill about 20 holes in a circle and fish using minnows. Used to work, don't see why it wouldn't now!
LIMIT YOUR KILL - DON'T KILL YOUR LIMIT

Offline fishfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Dec 23, 2008, 07:25 PM »
what do you use at night? and do you ahve to use glow jigs and other glow products

Glow jigs work the best for me, but they will take a live minnow also. A lantern seems to help sometimes too, I keep it close to the holes.

Offline Swift

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 23, 2008, 11:28 PM »
Been doing fine with a JamminJigs glow red Fat Fry and Little-Atom plastic glow Noodle or Nuggie the last few years at night. A combo that looks similar to whatever the local forage fish is during the day works as does Jigging Rap style baits. Have also done OK with blade baits like the Cicada at times during the day. Less hassle than minnows but still imitates a struggling one well. Run and gun

Offline Blaine

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Dec 24, 2008, 12:31 PM »
Here in CT, I've found that the numbers go down but the size goes up at night...

Offline KTapper

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Dec 24, 2008, 11:15 PM »
I like to night fish and the last time we were out there and set up by 8:30 and the good bite started at about 11-12:30 after that they would come up and eye the jig and wouldn't take it. I had a shrimpo tipped with a crappie minnow head, but glow jigs work well also. I even caught a nice gill at 12am

Offline BONECRUSHER

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • I LOVE TO GET IT WET
« Reply #10 on: Dec 30, 2008, 08:34 PM »
I like the evening fish with minnows myself. Seems like one hour before dark is when they turn on and is fairly steady for two hours, when things work out. And that isn't always the way it goes :%$#!:

Offline icecaptain

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Jan 08, 2009, 08:01 PM »
i love fishing for crappie at night,  sometimes they will bite all night while other times they bite more often right after sunset and just before sunrise.
"the worst day of fishing is always better than a great day at work"

Offline iluvcrappie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • The real sports in life Bowhunting and Icefishing
« Reply #12 on: Jan 09, 2009, 08:05 AM »
depending on the lake they can bite either or.............I like to fish them at night as it seems the bigger ones are a bit more active than in the daylight hours................. but it is very easy to find a school of them during the day and have your limit in 15 minutes if you can catch them.................. during the day they seem like they don't really want to bite as hard as at night either................ ..crappies are hard enough to catch the way it is but like I said I find night fishing for them to be much better..............ju st my .02

Offline JT

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Eat Fish Hunt Tattoo
« Reply #13 on: Jan 22, 2009, 05:22 PM »
depending on the lake they can bite either or.............I like to fish them at night as it seems the bigger ones are a bit more active than in the daylight hours................. but it is very easy to find a school of them during the day and have your limit in 15 minutes if you can catch them.................. during the day they seem like they don't really want to bite as hard as at night either................ ..crappies are hard enough to catch the way it is but like I said I find night fishing for them to be much better..............ju st my .02
Ditto!
myspace.com/tat2byjt

Offline ICE SLOB

• IceShanty Rookie
  • WHERE DA CRAPPIE MON?
« Reply #14 on: Feb 27, 2009, 03:04 PM »
on lakes where the crappie are deep 30' + the day time bite seems better -early and late are best.
on lakes where the crappie are found shallow under 12' the night bite is always best

Offline husb0023

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Punching Holes in Wisconsin Since 1986
« Reply #15 on: Mar 05, 2009, 03:36 PM »
I'm putting my vote in for night as well... this seems to be the best time for catching crappies.  Try a glow ratso from Custom J&S.  Don't forget to charge it up each time you send it down.

Offline SLED_NECK

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Mar 08, 2009, 02:18 PM »
i have never actually cought one during the day, but i always slay them at night

Offline gaustin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Nov 26, 2009, 10:17 PM »
The gin clear lakes I fish seem to be the ticket for the "Night Bite"  :).....I use a combination of plastics and live bait, One of my best spots we will mark different schools of fish at different depths....Sitting in 20 fow the flasher will start to light up fish a couple of feet off the bottom, 12', 8', and will have a few rouges just under the ice  :o....Just try and use different presentations and fish the water column up and down. I like the micro nuggies on a 4mm Fiska glow jig. Always have a dead stick minnow going. I like to work the plastic and move the fish up and if he doesn't offer at it work up to the minnow and see if he wants a bigger meal......Night time is the right time and sometimes the fishing pressure is a little lighter too.
Gregg Austin

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #18 on: Nov 27, 2009, 09:59 PM »
Some lakes are night bite, some are day bites.

For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline CrappieBuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Nov 27, 2009, 10:19 PM »
Yup some lakes they dont bite till late.  Bout 5 o clock rolls around and theyre 10 feet thick on the vexilar.

Offline two_fish_tommy

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • ICEFISHING IS LIFE!!!
« Reply #20 on: Dec 06, 2009, 01:02 PM »
Most of my goodluck comes ethier early in the morning as the sun comes up or late at night as the sun goes down :tipup:

I DONT CARE I STILL BLEED PURPLE AND GOLD, SKOL VIKINGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline yesjacker

• IceShanty Rookie
  • yea
« Reply #21 on: Dec 18, 2009, 04:14 PM »
ive fished this 1 lake for years catching a few crappies here n there, finally i decided to target them and it was no easy task! i fished early morning with some success all throughout the day.........finally i tried the night.       case closed! sleep all day fish at night.

Offline mk_bovee

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Dec 20, 2009, 10:14 PM »
only once have i been able to get crappies during the day, 99.9% of my catch is during the night........moonglow jigs with fathead minnows are my GO TO bait.   always seems to do the trick for me.    one thing that i have found to really help my catch rate though, is the neon green submersible light.......i set it up so i am fishing in the edge of the light circle.........seems that the crappies like to hit better when they are just coming in from the darker water to hit the minnow, rather than exposing themselves completely in the light.
dont take life too seriously, you'll never get out of it alive                                            team broke azz

Offline deebsey

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Dec 21, 2009, 11:42 AM »
I usually set up 1 hour before dark and fish till about 1 am.  Drill a bunch of hole and run tip downs and jig with one pole.  I put 2 laterns out where I have my tip downs set for light and it attracts the bait which helps attract the crappie. 
;

Offline sparky

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rooolz!
« Reply #24 on: Dec 29, 2009, 12:08 PM »
It depends upon your lake.  I have 2 lakes withn 30 miles that as soon as the sun sets the bite is over with.  I catch most of mine during the day when every one else has left the lake.  It seems that the fish get skitish for all the foot traffic.
sparky

Offline tipup71

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Dec 29, 2009, 07:06 PM »
We fish almost identical to deebsey. There's times when we have 3 or 4 tip ups up and fish stacked on the vex! Almost seems like work sometimes!  Rob
3 Dozen Shiners $10,5 Tipus $30,Flag Up!!!....Priceless!!!

Offline mcflyfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Feb 10, 2010, 08:59 AM »
I have responsibilities in the day that don't always allow me to fish.  The evening is a different story.  I have the time to fish from about 4:00 to midnight, so that is when I fish.  I love watching a the tip downs, and from time to time I will abandon the jigging rod and put out a third tip down.  They seem to work just fine. 

Offline jimmyclaude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Have Trouts!!!
« Reply #27 on: Feb 10, 2010, 09:07 AM »
How do you guys set up the lantern?  Is it just on the ice or do you make sure it is shining down the hole.
Tastes like RockBass<br />                                             \"Official Horticulturalist of the NYRC\"

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.