Author Topic: 4 man Ice Cube - Best Floor Plan  (Read 13874 times)

Offline Boatless

• Team IceShanty Regular
4 man Ice Cube - Best Floor Plan
« on: Nov 04, 2007, 05:41 PM »
How do those of you with Ice Cubes do your floor plan? I'd mostly be fishing two people, but sometimes 3. Is there a "best floor plan" out there for seats and holes?  ???

Offline tumbleweed

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: 4 man Ice Cube - Best Floor Plan
« Reply #1 on: Nov 04, 2007, 05:49 PM »
I've not heard this term before. Does the term refer to a home made collapsable?

...Hmph, I been settin' so long my old behinder is stiff..." Doig's Grandma

Offline Boatless

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Nov 04, 2007, 06:05 PM »
Ice Cube portables are made by Eastman Outfitters. Google it. They're great.

Offline Master Angler

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 10" Hole = Less tales of the big one that got away
« Reply #3 on: Nov 04, 2007, 08:12 PM »
I have one and really like it for two people, and you have a couple ways for that. With three people it will be getting a little tight in there, but this is what I will do if I ever have 3 in mine.  4 person shacks make great 2 man shacks, but you'd have to really like the people you're fishin with to have 4 in one.   

O=hole, X=fisherperson

Door   _____________
    |-->|                    |
          |  O     X    O   |
          |                    |
          |                    |
          |   X    O    X    |
          |____________ |               

Like this everyone has fairly easy access to the door.   I set up pretty much the same way for 2 people, the person nearest the door side is always the same and the second one can either be sitting beside or across from you.

Offline rich81

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Nov 04, 2007, 09:52 PM »
that looks good. i've tried a few different ways the best thing is you can't go wrong theres no floor i've had 4 people in there my girls and me they did the fishing i was there to help. and have crammed 5 my wife myself and girls but once again they were only ones fishing. but thats because i love them and don't mind being close.  but to cram 5 of my buddies in there i don't think so ;D ;D

Offline Boatless

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Nov 05, 2007, 09:58 AM »
I hear that! I sure wouldn't want it to be myself and 3 buddies in there.... We had 4 of us in my buddies cube last year (us and our girlfriends) and it was pretty tight. Especially when the dog wanted in too....

That floor plan looks good MA. 90% of the time, it would be myself and one more person. I'll mostly be jigging with one rod in the cube with a tip up outside somewhere. Just thinking of those days when my girlfriend comes along.

I actually set up my cube in the basement yesterday to consider floor plans. Can you tell I'm excited for the ice?? I almost went out to the garage and got my power auger and drilled a hole in my basement floor....  :o

Offline country boy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Nov 05, 2007, 06:26 PM »
I was thinking of picking up a two man this year. What does everyone think about them, easy to put up and down. Also have seen some reports that there is trouble with the poles breaking. Any info would help. Thank's

Offline Master Angler

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Nov 05, 2007, 06:37 PM »
I find them easy to put up and take down.  Alot faster to take down though.  I think it takes me about 10 minutes to set it up and drill the holes, maybe even a little less, and 2-3 to take down and have in the bag.  I really like the fact there is no floor so you can put holes where ever you want.  Only get a 2 man if you plan on just fishing by yourself most of the time.  The 4 mans are perfect with 2 people.  I haven't had a pole break yet, and have used it in 30 below a couple times.

Offline Boatless

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Nov 06, 2007, 09:24 AM »
To add to the poles breaking issue: I've heard of it happening, but Eastman is very quick to send out free replacement poles if it does happen.

Offline Master Angler

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Nov 06, 2007, 12:15 PM »
Yep their customer service is good, I had a bent ice anchor and they sent another one, had it within a week.

Offline walleye tattoo

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Wisconsin chapter
« Reply #10 on: Nov 06, 2007, 09:26 PM »
I have set mine a four man up in some unreal wind by myself. I have had four men in it at one time mostly to drink and get out of the wind.It is great for two men heater gear very comfortable.I am thinking about a mat or something for a floor to keep the ice from melting under foot,if I get something I will let you all know.

Live to fish forced to work

Offline Boatless

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Nov 07, 2007, 08:50 AM »
I am thinking about a mat or something for a floor to keep the ice from melting under foot,if I get something I will let you all know.

Glad you mentioned the floor, or lack there of. If you're looking for a mat for the floor, obviously there are some cons for them not having a floor? I'd like to hear about them.

Offline RLWagner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Nov 07, 2007, 09:12 AM »
The Eastman Pop-ups are about 21 lbs, black to absorb heat, thick to repell wind, screw-in tie downs that hold her in place during gale force winds. It is the best portable I have owned. I have added a piece of indoor outdoor golf carpet that I put grommetts into and when I screw down the corners to the ice I have the carpet underneath. Holds heat better, allows water to drain under it and gives you grip!!!! Also being black it does not interfear with the visual through the top of the hole. My Clam 5600 can make it hard to see through the reflection, but not the Eastman!! ;)

Offline polarfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ICE ICE BABY
« Reply #13 on: Nov 07, 2007, 09:13 AM »
nice idea, but what if you want a different hole arrangement

Offline RLWagner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Nov 07, 2007, 09:16 AM »
nice idea, but what if you want a different hole arrangement

I sliced the carpet in places that allow spearing holes, or multiple holes. I always have no less than three holes in there. The slices allow for the water to run off as the snow you drag in melts.

Offline RLWagner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Nov 07, 2007, 09:18 AM »
Also the carpet seems to create a thicker shadow under-neath which the perch in shallow water wseem to like to hang around longer and the home made weeds that circle the shanty add a nice allure for attracting Pike, and holding them there. Has helped jigging for Pike in my opinion.

Offline walleye tattoo

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Wisconsin chapter
« Reply #16 on: Nov 07, 2007, 07:03 PM »
I also drill three holes in a line We are able to have three lines at a time, so two guys four tip ups, two liging holes and one for flasher or camra fun.

Offline jigisup

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Nov 14, 2007, 05:30 PM »
i just started ice fishing again and have never fished from a shack. I have just purchased a 4 man ice cube and was wondering how big a problem water on the floor is while fishing. 

Offline walleye tattoo

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Wisconsin chapter
« Reply #18 on: Nov 14, 2007, 06:22 PM »
It depends how warm you keep it in side heater on door open people going in and out no problem. Two guys extreme cold and wind all day, heat on some water on the floor now the only problem is setting any thing on the floor you do not want wet gloves cigars lighter you get the idea. Bottle of Crown Royal no problem.I have had some one mention a piece of astro turf sounds good to me.

Offline woodfolks

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Mar 25, 2008, 08:44 PM »
I put 4 holes 8in on the wall away from the door.
Put blue tarp down for floor. Tried many other sets this was the best
for two or three people. Never had 4 in the cube.

Offline RLWagner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Mar 26, 2008, 08:03 AM »
i just started ice fishing again and have never fished from a shack. I have just purchased a 4 man ice cube and was wondering how big a problem water on the floor is while fishing. 
I worked with this a bit more this winter. Seems that the inside of the shanty melting the floor ice down is a good thing in shallow water!!! A few times this year my shanty was attracting more than it's fair share of fish. Seems the melted water runs down into the hole, delivering fresh aerated water into the hole, and this water is slightly warmer than the rest of the water. In my opinion it stimulated a bit of a bite. Could be wrong, but it has happened a few times this year, and all surrounding shanties were about shut down while mine was producing limits.

These were the times I did not use the astro-turf. Now I plan on not using it next year to look closer at the validity that the water run-off may be having a positive effect upon the fish.  :-\

Offline frog11

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Mar 26, 2008, 07:43 PM »
I need a shanty for next season.I mostly fished alone but could have another person with me.I know nothing about portable shanties but you guy's seem to like this 1 very much.I can get this ice cube 4 man with 2 chairs for $150 and $20 shipped so for $170 is that a good price?
thanks

Offline Hollywood703

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Aug 31, 2008, 11:23 PM »
The normal price is about $200, so thats not a bad price, sometimes you can find it cheaper than you are paying at end of year clearance.....but that time has passed.

Offline woodfolks

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Sep 14, 2008, 06:25 PM »
Got some green astro turf carpet to
put in the ice cube this year. Will cover 1/2 the shanty next to the door
It roles up nice and will fit in my jet sled

Offline TGF

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I'm keeping my eye on you guys.....
« Reply #24 on: Oct 11, 2008, 09:59 PM »
Anyone ever sleep in their ice cube yet? I'm sitting here with Blue Igloo who owns one and is raving about it but has never spent the night in one. I'm 6'3" and was thinking of sleeping corner to corner since its 71 X 71 inches (4 man).

Offline crappie_attitude

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Gotta' have more cowbell
« Reply #25 on: Oct 12, 2008, 03:00 PM »
I almost put myself to sleep in mine last year.  The single roof vent is not adequate for a Buddy Heater, even on low.  There is plenty of room to sleep in one (on a cot, of course), just keep the door partially open for fresh O2.  ;)

Offline Hollywood703

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Oct 15, 2008, 05:09 AM »
if the sun is out during the day, you wont need a heater. if the temp is above the low teens....it holds heat fairly well as long as you pack the snow along the bottom. I havent brought a cot out, but have fallen asleep in my chair while out. I cant see a problem with it, as stated as long as you can safely heat it if needed.

Offline jeffmonument

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Jan 28, 2009, 11:22 AM »
The Eastman Pop-ups are about 21 lbs, black to absorb heat, thick to repell wind, screw-in tie downs that hold her in place during gale force winds. It is the best portable I have owned. I have added a piece of indoor outdoor golf carpet that I put grommetts into and when I screw down the corners to the ice I have the carpet underneath. Holds heat better, allows water to drain under it and gives you grip!!!! Also being black it does not interfear with the visual through the top of the hole. My Clam 5600 can make it hard to see through the reflection, but not the Eastman!! ;)
Where did you get the indoor/outdoor golf carpet from?  I like your set up, any photos?  that would help me big time? thx!

Offline Bellybuster

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Jan 28, 2009, 02:00 PM »
I'm a first year Cube owner (4man) I put 3 holes across one side. We found out to not put anyone sitting next to the door as he has to get up any time someone wants out.
   4 man is a farce, it is a 2 man. We had 3 grown men in it for a day and it was tight. Too tight.
    I find it very easy to set up in the wind but a real pain to take down in the wind if alone
There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.
--Stephen Wright

Offline 53andout

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Time spent fishing is not deducted from the total
« Reply #29 on: Feb 01, 2009, 05:24 PM »
I have a 4 man Cube. We have a love hate relationship. I love the fact it is so light, portable etc. I hate the fact it doesn't have a floor. When you turn the heat on it melts the ice and it becomes slippery. It also evaporates and condensates on the ceiling. Drip, drip, drip, you get the idea. I'm thinking of making a floor that folds and is made with 1" X 2"s for frame. 2" blue styrofoam and 1/4" plywood. Cover with cheap I/O carpet.  Lay the floor out so the corners of the Ice Cube fit in pockets. Carefully cut fit and glue everything into solid panels with maybe a 18" X 5' or 6' cutout. I think this could be solid and light enough to be feasible. This would eliminate the moisture and slippage and make much more comfortable.

Thoughts?
Bruster

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.