Author Topic: "guide" in high wind  (Read 2047 times)

Offline feasanthunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
"guide" in high wind
« on: Feb 03, 2007, 06:33 PM »
how do you keep the front of your flip over down in high winds? snow is the obvious, but the lake is blown clear. do i face into the wind, or sideways with the tow rope anchored. one heck of a time today with 20 to 30 mph wind. ended up back to the wind with one foot on the pole to hold it down.
are you gonna pull those pistols, or whistle "Dixie"?

Offline roygpa

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Where's da Ice?
Re: "guide" in high wind
« Reply #1 on: Feb 04, 2007, 08:56 AM »
I bought my older Trap II from Hardguy and he gave me 2 capped pieces of PVC pipe that fit into sleeves along the side of the trap. I could filled them with water if needed, but yesterday I just slid them into the sleeve and they did seem to help.
Here's a picture of the location of the sleeve. See the red circle on the left side of the picture.

Southwestern, PA

Offline LoneWolf

• Tournaments/Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Fanatic! >))))>
« Reply #2 on: Feb 04, 2007, 10:48 AM »

The way I've always done it is to have the wind to my back and the rear anchored down. If you check the FishTrap tips section you may or may not find the info ... someone had deleted it but we restored some of it.
I have SS eye bolts with fender washers mounted on the rear and I use Strikemasters anchors.

Those who are brave are free ..

Offline swantucky

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 07, 2007, 11:47 AM »
I had the same problem last weekend.  I drilled an extra hole and froze the skirt to the ice and it worked pretty good.  I just held the flaps down with my feet for 5 minutes or so to let it freeze.  I did have a little trouble when i went to leave but I was able to bust it loose with my scoop.  I added a small pry bar to my rig to break it loose in the future if we get high winds.  Another thing I did to keep the sled from blowing out from under me I iced in the side to the wind, worked great!!!  There were 2 guys that went for a ride that day and I had no problems.  The wind was whipping between 30-40 mph. 
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

Offline feasanthunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 07, 2007, 07:16 PM »
I've ended up putting two eye bolts in the back side of the sled and using a 2"x2"x2'  toggle in a hole i drill, also try to freeze the flaps down. so much for mobility.
are you gonna pull those pistols, or whistle "Dixie"?

Offline Hollywood703

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 08, 2007, 11:03 AM »
I have 3 Ice anchors.......I Put 2 in the corners of the flip just up from where it goes into the material  and attach 2 small ropes around the flip Metal just long enough to loop into my anchors........since you have the bar upright in the middle of your flip you could probably get away with 1 anchor right under where that bar is perpendicular to your flip bar,  take a loop of rope and a caribeener, or just use a bungee cord, which is quick and allows for a little give before bending your poles if extremely windy. On mine (dont have pictures currently) I took a small loop 8" in diameter of rope, wrapping it around the pole, and then back thru itself....creating an anchor point. I will try and get the camera out and give an example....

Offline Turkeyhunter10ga

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #6 on: Feb 08, 2007, 12:02 PM »
 i made a square shaped U out of 1/2" pvc pipe.
cut 3 pieces to size of front and the 2 sides. plug 1 end of each pc of pipe with ordinary cotton ball, fill pipe with sand and plug 2nd end with cotton ball. add elbow on each end of front pipe. add a cap on other 2 pieces and drill small hole in cap and thread in an eye bolt. keep a hammer and a few nails in your shanty.

set up shack where u want it, put together the 3 pipes and set over flaps, take hammer and pound a nail thru the eye bolt to secure the back end of pipes and you're all set.   

easy and light weight

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.