Author Topic: minnows  (Read 1033 times)

Offline timr35

• Team IceShanty Regular
minnows
« on: Feb 04, 2015, 04:34 PM »
any tips for keeping minnows under the ice of a permanent hut?

Offline Cannonball87

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: minnows
« Reply #1 on: Feb 04, 2015, 08:43 PM »
I've never done it before, but I've seen some old antique tin minnow buckets with holes in them. I'm told that people would hook a chain to the handle and lower it down the ice hole while tying one end off in the house. Thinking about it, your minnows would probably keep alot longer. I've thought about trying it myself by using a smaller minnow bucket that one would tie to your boat. What stopped me was I figured that if you don't open the hole up for a couple of days and the weather is really cold, I would imagine it would take quite a bit of work with the chisel to get the bucket of minnows back up again!

Offline timr35

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 05, 2015, 07:17 PM »
I've heard of a  mesh minnow bag to use under the hut,my idea was hang it under a hole then use a gaff to bring it up another hole close by.

Offline eyesncoke

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Feb 06, 2015, 12:06 PM »
My buddy uses a 3 or 4 inch PVC pipe around 4 feet long. Cap and glue one end and attach and chain and attach that inside the shack. Cap the other end so you can spin it on or off. Drill a bunch of holes in the PVC. Dump the minnows in and drop the tube through the hole drilled out in the corner of the hut. It works great, but don't leave it too long without chipping/spudding the ice out from around it or you're in for a bit## of a time getting it back out, especially if you're in North Bay like he is.

Offline sra61

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Feb 20, 2015, 04:07 PM »
When we have a bunch of guys going on a trip we have a sawhorse we set over about 6 augered holes and lower two 5 gal. buckets swisscheesed with holes down. It keeps em good for however long you want. Just have to chip some in the mornings. We only do it outside, so that everyone can come along and dig in as they need. Have to make sure they know not to just drop the bucket! You can end up with everything on the bottom!

Offline Lavman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Passing along the traditions
« Reply #5 on: Feb 23, 2015, 09:19 AM »
We use a 5 gallon bucket, with a lid, peppered with 1/8" holes. We put a flat rock in the bottom of the pail for weight. We tie a rope to the bucket handle and the other end to the hardside shack. We have to spud out the hole to get the bucket out, just be careful you don't hit the rope with the spud or your bucket will be on the bottom  ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.