Author Topic: new shelter for me  (Read 1010 times)

Offline feklar

• Team IceShanty Regular
new shelter for me
« on: Feb 02, 2014, 06:50 PM »
So I have a cabin shack, and am tired of fighting it in the wind, the slick floor which scoots on the ice, and having to use a really short rod.

I've fished the flip over type, and love the seat, but don't want to be loading (to from truck)and dragging 40-70 pounds plus gear on the ice by hand.  Its a long drag in spots, and I'm not a big guy. 

I've fished the hub type they are okay.  I don't like touching the zipper with my wet foot when I go in and then not having them work, and I'm not sure I want to try to open it by myself, but they look like the best compromise for me at this time.

So I have a couple of questions for hub users/owners.

Are there any where you don't brush the door zipper with your foot accidentally on enter/exit?
Which ones show better longevity?
Which ones heat the most using the sun?  I saw some Ameristep black ones, but how about the blue/red?
Which ones have the longest warranty?

Are their any other "style" of shelters besides perms/perm folding, hub, suitcase, or flip over?  If so, can you show me a link?

Thanks.
feklar

Offline Hollywood703

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: new shelter for me
« Reply #1 on: Feb 03, 2014, 07:22 PM »
Any flipover you can not have to step over material, all hubs im pretty sure have similar zippers you have to step thru
The ones taken care of.....It is so subjective to how people use/take care of it. Most name brand Shacks are about even.....the thicker the Denier 150/00/600 the longer the material should last, but also adds weight.
Black will heat the most, all others less
Warranty im not sure about, they are all so different

unless you have a ATV/UTV you can mount it too.....you pretty much named all the styles.

Offline Yote

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 11, 2014, 08:25 PM »
I'm on my third season with my Clam Summit and have been very happy with it. Sometimes tricky to set up and take down in the wind by yourself. But with pretty heavy use I have never ripped a hole in it or gummed up the zippers.
keep yer stick on the ice.

Offline BIGCREW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Feb 11, 2014, 09:52 PM »
I also have a summit, I have it for 4 years or 5 not sure but I have had no problems with it aside from getting back in the bag,I don't use it except for when its put away for the season one less thing to blow across the lake

Offline feklar

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 13, 2014, 06:30 PM »
my shappell widehouse 5500 arrived.  I chose it for the 600 d fabric, and the price.  I liked the fatfish as well, but the 600d fabric sold me. 

I looked at its anchors compared to the eskimo ones I like and use...and bought 4 eskimo anchors.

May try it tomorrow if wind doesn't blow

Offline FrostBack

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Vegetarian: Cree word meaning poor hunter!
« Reply #5 on: Feb 13, 2014, 08:10 PM »
If weight is a big concern then the hub style is the way to go.

I have a FatFish 949, and would recommend it, its rated as a 4 man and the 747 is the 3 man. Lots of room, well made, good customer service, best ice anchors on the market, good resale value if you out grow it or change styles.

I heat my FatFish with a single sunflower heater and it never leaves the low setting and lots of days its -30c or colder not to mention the windchill. Real windy days can be a problem until you catch onto how to handle it in the wind or have a friend along to help. I have to admit though when its windy or days that I am solo I usually take my QuickFlip2, but I drive to where I want to drill and use my truck as a windbreak most days.

The difference between an 8" hole and a 10" hole is.....a 10" hole will usually give you your boot back!

In the food chain of life...its not good to be referred to as: "a good eating size".

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.