Author Topic: Smitty Sled build….help!  (Read 2497 times)

Offline markinohio

• Team IceShanty Regular
Smitty Sled build….help!
« on: Dec 03, 2019, 03:41 PM »
Everything is ready, and I plan to build this weekend.

I primarily want a sled to pull my Clam Scout when the going gets tough. The plan is to use the Smitty for the long drag out to the spot, pull off the flip-over, and fish the surrounding area as normal. Repeat, if I need to make any other long drags.

Sometimes, I fish out of a QuickFish 2, and can fit everything in a JetSled. Probably will not require a Smitty in that situation, but I want the option.
On other occasions, I need the sled to accommodate a JetSled with all my junk and an Eskimo 949i. My initial plan is to make the Smitty wide enough to accommodate the two side-by-side.

Width?
 From the manufacture specs (not actual measurements), the maximum width of my load will be 36” (width of Scout). Is there any advantage to going with the minimum crossbar length? Would 40” make the sled too wide?

Length?
I have 6’ skis. Should I cut them down for performance reasons (transport is not a problem). I’ve read that it is best to center the load on the location of the old bindings. Is the a minimum/maximum I should avoid in front or behind?

Any tips would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks,
Mark

Offline Ice_Fly_Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Smitty Sled build….help!
« Reply #1 on: Dec 03, 2019, 03:45 PM »
I'm no engineer, but I'd think that the wider it is, the harder it will be to turn.

Offline 2muchleft

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 03, 2019, 03:52 PM »
I'm no engineer, but I'd think that the wider it is, the harder it will be to turn.
I would agree.  I made mine wider than most and added a piece of plywood to go over the cross pieces.  It is sometimes tough to get it started straight on the ice.  But I tend to walk in a straight line when going from point A to B so it works out.  I think you will find a Smitty sled to be a game changer! 

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #3 on: Dec 03, 2019, 03:53 PM »
Weight to the rear and 14-16 foot of rope is a must...I made my cross braces  about 6 inches wider on both sides..I can add my hub with my two man Frabill. I ususlly drag my Jet sled behind with some gear EZPZ.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Wheres Walleye

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 03, 2019, 07:29 PM »
I would keep the weight to the rear, and as Hardwater said make sure your rope is on the long side. Helps a lot to be able to control the sled from behind when going downhill.

As long as the skis you have fit in your vehicle I wouldn’t cut them. Mine are also 6’ and I have the skis are 33” apart. I put the center of the rear cross bar 17” from back of skis. The front cross bar will depend on the shortest sled bottom length you will be using. I’ve had a 36” cross bar your years and was able to carry my sled and a 949i with this set up. This year I made a new 46” cross bar for a little more room but haven’t tested it yet.

Hope this helps and Good Luck with the build :tipup:

Offline meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Dec 03, 2019, 07:50 PM »
I would keep the weight to the rear, and as Hardwater said make sure your rope is on the long side. Helps a lot to be able to control the sled from behind when going downhill.
If you put a couple eyebolts on the back you can shorten rope up and just move it to the back for going down hill.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #6 on: Dec 03, 2019, 08:07 PM »
If you put a couple eyebolts on the back you can shorten rope up and just move it to the back for going down hill.

I keep the long rope to the front (on the skis) and attached a shorter rope to the back. Just drilled a couple of holes on the back of the sled, near the top. One end of rope through each a hole, tie a knot, good to go.
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline Nessmuck

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 03, 2019, 11:08 PM »

Best thing I evah made...thanks Smitty....pulls a lot of weight like butter...

Offline markinohio

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 04, 2019, 06:20 AM »
Thanks everyone! I’m going to start with 40” crossbars. An actual measurement of the 949i packed necessitates the extra width. If it is too difficult to turn, I will just have to cut them down.

Another question…….Does adding a plywood platform between the crossbars help or hinder the loading/unloading of a flip-over?

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #9 on: Dec 04, 2019, 06:26 AM »
Thanks everyone! I’m going to start with 40” crossbars. An actual measurement of the 949i packed necessitates the extra width. If it is too difficult to turn, I will just have to cut them down.

Another question…….Does adding a plywood platform between the crossbars help or hinder the loading/unloading of a flip-over?

Plywood will add weight ..one foot on front cross brace and pull your sled up ezpz ..also get some cam buckle straps .Attach your rope to the front of the ski make sure you will be lifting the tips of the skis as opposed to pulling down..
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline lynng

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Dec 04, 2019, 06:28 AM »
Best thing I evah made...thanks Smitty....pulls a lot of weight like butter...

DITTO!!

Offline bigfoot86

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Dec 04, 2019, 06:51 AM »
I'm interested in building one for the new nanook.  How long of skis should I be shooting for if my sled is in the 60" range?

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Dec 04, 2019, 06:58 AM »
Has anybody ever tried the narrow Cross-Country type skis on a Smitty?

They would have even less friction.
Veritas Odium Parit

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #13 on: Dec 04, 2019, 07:00 AM »
I'm interested in building one for the new nanook.  How long of skis should I be shooting for if my sled is in the 60" range?

Bigger then your sled/shelter is better but not an absolute..how big of a ski can you get in your vehicle ?

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #14 on: Dec 04, 2019, 07:01 AM »
I have 2 with cross countrys .  They work great...
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #15 on: Dec 04, 2019, 07:02 AM »
Has anybody ever tried the narrow Cross-Country type skis on a Smitty?

They would have even less friction.

Not recommended ..

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Dec 04, 2019, 07:03 AM »
Veritas Odium Parit

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #17 on: Dec 04, 2019, 07:04 AM »
This thread has so.e great pictures and reads

https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=103927.0

I built 3 thus far all my questions ..w/o asking were on this thread.

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Dec 04, 2019, 07:06 AM »
This thread has so.e great pictures and reads

https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=103927.0

I built 3 thus far all my questions ..w/o asking were on this thread.

Thanks for the link - I had not joined IC yet when most of this was posted.
Veritas Odium Parit

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #19 on: Dec 04, 2019, 07:07 AM »
Why?

Does not disperse the weight as well ..will it work ..other IS members have had success .

Offline bigfoot86

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Dec 04, 2019, 07:20 AM »
Thank you for the info.  I can put 6 1/2' skis in the back of my SUV.

Offline lynng

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Dec 04, 2019, 07:38 AM »
Why?

Cross Country skis are designed to work on firm groomed hardpack snow. Downhill all mountain skis are designed to “float” a fairly heavy weight in soft snow. Issue is not friction but how well the ski moves through the type of snow you usually encounter.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #22 on: Dec 04, 2019, 07:39 AM »
Thank you for the info.  I can put 6 1/2' skis in the back of my SUV.

You could build it longer and if need be cut it later on..I put my front riser about 1 foot or so back fron the ski bend..then placed the back riser where it looked "right"..that worked out to be one foot back from the back/rear edge of ski..so all my Smitty are set up that way ..if you build it to long can always cut it down and move rear risers.  I used 2x6s for risers and 2x3 for cross braces..ended up using cam buckles for tie downs after some testing of other options.

Offline jimhaney08

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Dec 04, 2019, 07:48 AM »
Make your crossbars wide and the skis "regularly" spaced apart.  After looking at tons of pictures that's what I did and it worked great.  I have my sled in the middle, my hub off to one side of my sled, and my auger mounted on the other side of my sled.  The width has never been an issue for me.

I basically laid out my gear on the garage floor like I wanted it and then measured to see how long/wide to make it.  Eye bolts on your crossbars and some bungees/ratchet straps will keep your gear on there.  I did not use plywood over the crossbars.  Seemed like unnecessary weight.

Good luck!
My Setup:  Otter XL sled on a smitty.  10" Strikemaster Lithium 50 Volt auger.  Clam Bigfoot XL 2000 hub.  Garmin Striker 5 Ice Bundle.

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #24 on: Dec 04, 2019, 09:07 AM »

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Dec 04, 2019, 09:09 AM »

Why only the 1 Smitty, why not have one for both sleds?
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #26 on: Dec 04, 2019, 09:18 AM »
Didn't need it... ;D;)

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Dec 04, 2019, 09:24 AM »
Didn't need it... ;D;)

With that beast you really didn't need the first one either.
Veritas Odium Parit

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.