Author Topic: Uber in Lake Cascade  (Read 1362 times)

Offline badger132

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Uber in Lake Cascade
« on: Jan 16, 2019, 12:24 PM »
As I was sitting on the ice Monday, I was wondering if a service like Uber, but for the lake, would get any business. I know that snowmobiles are expensive to buy, and even to rent, but would people be interested in a shuttle service out on the lake? Would sure reduce the crowds around Poison Creek ramp!

:tipup:

Offline hugeinchina

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Uber in Lake Cascade
« Reply #1 on: Jan 16, 2019, 02:11 PM »
I know I would. I just bit the bullet and rented two sleds for our trip down there this coming weekend.

Offline badger132

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 16, 2019, 02:17 PM »
How would you see it working? I assume you would have stuff- is it reasonable to expect you to have a sled, or would the service provide that? A snow dog or similar slow, high pulling power solution could daisy chain several fisherman together, depending on conditions.

Offline hugeinchina

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 16, 2019, 03:19 PM »
I think the expectation would be that the fisherman/woman bring his or her own sled to the engagement. You're would not be running an outfitting or guide service after all. Honestly, the biggest hurdle I can see is insurance on the venture. I think talking to one of the local guides is probably a good place to start with that though. See if it's even economically feasible to carry the insurance and still be able to make a profit. I could definitely see someone paying somewhere in the $15-$25 ball-park for a ride out to a location. Rides back are another question... Presumably people would not want to hoof it back to poison or blue heron from sugarloaf. Return rides would have to be booked in advance and you would probably need some kind of GPS device to mark where you have dropped people off then another method to track when each of them wanted to be picked up. Maybe you would charge $25 for a single drop and $40 for the round trip? I think figuring out fuel cost and insurance will inform the rest of the equation as far as what needs to be charged to earn enough money to make it worth it.

Offline badger132

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 16, 2019, 05:28 PM »
That is why I think uber would be a good fit- you can hail an app, track your ride, and the driver can find you on the ice. I might see if uber would allow it- they are just a ride sharing service after all- I don't think the vehicle is that big a deal to them. You are right about insurance though- would be required for a venture like this. Since this is not outfitting, just transportation, I don't see it as conflicting with guide service, or coming under those requirements.

Thanks for your input!

:)

Offline hugeinchina

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 17, 2019, 08:19 AM »
Anytime! I think it's a great idea and wish you the best of luck if you decide to undertake it!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.