Author Topic: New Heritage Lakers?  (Read 5049 times)

Offline hrdwtr24

• Team IceShanty Addict
New Heritage Lakers?
« on: Dec 24, 2007, 07:53 AM »
Hey guy's a quick question, I am going to buy some new Lakers and noticed that the newer ones have plastic spools.has anyone had any performance issues  with these vs. the older aluminum ones? thanks, Bob.... :tipup:

Offline JeBa

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: New Heritage Lakers?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 26, 2007, 11:48 AM »
I've had the plastic spools for 2+ seasons now and I like them - no problems.
My wet fingers would sometime freeze themselves to the metal spools on some others I've had.

The only thing I've heard about was that sometimes the spool stud pulls out of the wood upright.
But that was for all types of Heritage Laker.

Just be careful how you dry them after fishing - don't keep em by the woodstove.

JeBa

Offline JCaughtem

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Someday I will have a record fish!
« Reply #2 on: Dec 26, 2007, 12:25 PM »
I've had the plastic spools for 2+ seasons now and I like them - no problems.
My wet fingers would sometime freeze themselves to the metal spools on some others I've had.

The only thing I've heard about was that sometimes the spool stud pulls out of the wood upright.
But that was for all types of Heritage Laker.

Just be careful how you dry them after fishing - don't keep em by the woodstove.

JeBa  I make my own but i also re do herritage tipups with stained and poly oak for eternal use i do however like the plastic reels better they never squeek they seem to be quieter and smoother also herritage tipups reels also fall of very easy this is also something i alter ive fished out many spools out of the hole fish have pulled them off to the wood swells and the spools are not bolted all the way thru they are punched in.

Offline hrdwtr24

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Dec 26, 2007, 04:48 PM »
Thanks for the replies guy's!  I have 8 on the way now!!...Bob...

Offline vivlamored

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Dec 26, 2007, 04:50 PM »
 I fish with laker tipups what do you do change the pin to a bolt when you modify them so the reel doesn't fall off?

Offline sticks

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Dec 26, 2007, 06:34 PM »
I took the pin the reel sits on out after the wood was good and dry and put some gorilla glue in the hole then put the pin back in and pushed it in so that i knew it wouldnt come back out again.  as far as the reel falling off, put a wing nut on and once you set your drag to what you want, screw the wing-nut tight to the drag and that should prevent it from falling off

Offline vivlamored

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Dec 26, 2007, 06:37 PM »
 ok will do i already have the wing nuts just gotta glue the pins

Offline Chris Raymond

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Lifelong Outdoorsman
« Reply #7 on: Dec 26, 2007, 08:07 PM »
Or...you could simply get some Jack Traps and avoid having to make all the usual Laker mods and just fish them out of the box. 
Chris Raymond

Offline trouble_t04609

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Dec 26, 2007, 08:24 PM »
I also have the lakers an love them have 10 with the plastic reels an a few with the metal, i love them all, never had problem with them coming apart, granted the biggest fish ive cought was a 11lb lake trout ;D ;D ;D

Offline ice hound

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Thats one for the dinner table.
« Reply #9 on: Dec 26, 2007, 08:36 PM »
I have 3 of them and have no problems with anyhting falling off. They are a lot better than my other bargain bin tip-ups that only last for a couple seasons. Combine them with a hole cover of some sort and you're set for the biggest fish in the lake.
If the ice never melted I'd never leave.

Offline JCaughtem

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Dec 26, 2007, 08:43 PM »
Or...you could simply get some Jack Traps and avoid having to make all the usual Laker mods and just fish them out of the box. 
My homade tipups are better than Jacktraps. :tipup:

Offline sticks

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Dec 26, 2007, 08:49 PM »
My homade tipups are better than Jacktraps. :tipup:

that maybe so, but i will continue to faze out my haritage's to help support a local maine bussiness and buy new jack traps

Offline RUGERGUNZ

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Dec 27, 2007, 06:02 AM »
that maybe so, but i will continue to faze out my haritage's to help support a local maine bussiness and buy new jack traps

I'm not 100% sure, but aren't Heritage traps also made locally in Maine?  I always thought they were.

As with others on here, I have glued my reel shafts in.  Had a problem with them coming out easily when the wood dried.

Offline gumpy2

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • It's gator time...
« Reply #13 on: Dec 27, 2007, 10:22 AM »
For what you pay for these things, I would expect the craftmanship to be so that all you would have to do would be to occasionally lube these things.  All this talk about wood swelling , bolts popping out, reels falling off, finishing them with poly, etc. seems like a pain in the arse given the top $ you spend on them...

Just my $.02

"Porkers??  You talkin' about porkers Mr. Hoopa?"

Offline JCaughtem

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Dec 27, 2007, 11:51 AM »
For what you pay for these things, I would expect the craftmanship to be so that all you would have to do would be to occasionally lube these things.  All this talk about wood swelling , bolts popping out, reels falling off, finishing them with poly, etc. seems like a pain in the arse given the top $ you spend on them...

Just my $.02
Thats what ive been trying to say ive perfected tipups and they are availible.

Offline 4cator

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Will ya look at that pig!!
« Reply #15 on: Dec 29, 2007, 09:36 AM »
How did you exactly perfect them, I am somewhat intrigued
All tyranny needs to succeed, is for men of good conscience to remain silent.    Thomas Jefferson.

Offline jrelaxin

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • justrelaxin
« Reply #16 on: Dec 29, 2007, 09:43 AM »
That's what the label says all the heritage traps............. ;D
Donuts !!!!!       

Dave

Offline sticks

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Dec 29, 2007, 09:46 AM »
That's what the label says all the heritage traps............. ;D

yeah i got looking at a friend heritage lakers the other day and being as closed minded as i can be, noticed that they are made in northern maine. HAHA oooops

Offline country boy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Dec 30, 2007, 08:01 PM »
Wal-mart is now selling Heritage Lakers for $20

Offline thor94

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Jan 02, 2008, 09:10 AM »
Thats what ive been trying to say ive perfected tipups and they are availible.

got any pics?  details?  I'm always on the look-out for new tip-ups. 

I personally like the Heritage Lakers with the plastic spool.  As someone already said, my fingers don't stick to the metal when it's really cold.

Offline brewer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Jan 02, 2008, 11:27 AM »
I received some new Heritage Lakers for Xmas, and have used them twice.  Both times I had an issue with one of them not tripping.  I check my tipups every half hour or so.  When I went to this one, I could see the reel spinning, but the wire arm had not moved enough to trip the flag.  Not sure how to fix that.  Bend the wire I guess.  Any suggestions?  The rest of them have worked fine.

Offline hizzy19

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Jan 02, 2008, 02:57 PM »
I received some new Heritage Lakers for Xmas, and have used them twice.  Both times I had an issue with one of them not tripping.  I check my tipups every half hour or so.  When I went to this one, I could see the reel spinning, but the wire arm had not moved enough to trip the flag.  Not sure how to fix that.  Bend the wire I guess.  Any suggestions?  The rest of them have worked fine.
I had this problem when I first started fishing the Lakers.. Ended up getting a flag, pulling up the line only to find one of my other lines had tripped this flag. I found a tired lake trout on the end of that line. He had pulled almost all of the line of the spool of the trap that was 100 yards away with no flag up.. This happened 5 or 6 times that day. It has to do with the angle of the spring. I am going to try to explain, but don't know how successful I will be. I am assuming your flag/spring mechanism can be twisted around or removed(ie. not fastened to the wood). I just twisted it so that the spring, in the down position, almost trips itself. If it is set so that the spring is angled inward toward the release, the spool can turn and the spring will be pushing toward the release, and not tripping.. Hope that is clear enough..

Also, I use the plastic spools and love them, except for the problem everyone else has with them... All of the spools could come off. I was thinking about changing them out and putting a bolt straight through, but I will try gluing them in first...

Offline teacherd

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Jan 16, 2008, 11:50 AM »
One problem with the black plastic is visibility in low light.  I used white nail polish and painted hash marks on the spool so you could see it turn in dark water.

Offline Kierran

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • theCTyankee.com
« Reply #23 on: Jan 18, 2008, 01:53 PM »
One problem with the black plastic is visibility in low light.  I used white nail polish and painted hash marks on the spool so you could see it turn in dark water.

Did you find that the white nail polish stayed on the plastic spool well?  I tried glow-in-the-dark paint to no avail.  The latex-based paint came off during the trial run, obviously not the right way to go. 

I will try the polish though.  Should I coat it with head cement?

Thanks.

Offline teacherd

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Jan 21, 2008, 07:10 AM »
I haven't had a problem with the nail polish yet.  You can always retouch it if it starts to wear out.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.