Author Topic: Buying a new flasher  (Read 6228 times)

Offline juangomer2011

• IceShanty Rookie
Buying a new flasher
« on: Aug 09, 2017, 11:19 AM »
Hey guys,

I'm thinking about buying a new flasher this year. So far I've looked at the LX 7 and the Helix (new generation). Any others you recommend? Can anyone tell me if one is better than the others?

Thank you!

Offline perch_stalker

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Buying a new flasher
« Reply #1 on: Aug 09, 2017, 01:19 PM »
Marcum, Vexilar, Humminbird...they are all big companies with good products! It's up to each individual to decide what fits their style and budget the best, and choose the unit that fits your needs!

I myself use a Marcum LX7, I've had it for 2 full seasons now and I can honestly say that it is one of the best ice fishing investments I have ever made! I love the different screen options to choose from, I personally love the graph display, I love everything about it! I have buddies that have Vexilars and love them, so like I said, it comes down to what each person likes and needs to fit their style of fishing!

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2 on: Aug 09, 2017, 01:59 PM »
I'd get the LX7 because I like the dual beam and all the other features it has.

Offline rl_sd

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Aug 10, 2017, 07:57 AM »
I am sure that all the major manufacturers have great flashers. I myself will be sticking with Vexilar. Why? I received my first first FL-8 when I was 15 yrs old. For the last 21 years that flasher has been used nearly on a weekend basis and I have never had a single issue. With that great of luck, I can't bring myself to try anything else. I just purchased a FL-22 HD and am passing my FL-8 on to my 7 yr. old.

Offline Cfilbert

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Aug 10, 2017, 09:27 AM »
I started out also with the FL8 from Vexilar.  Last year I upgraded to the FL28.  I looked at the LX7 and read almost every review.  Both Marcum and Vexilar each will have their Duds (which are far and few).  Overall the people that bought the Vex Loved theirs the ones that bought the LX7 loved theirs.  So whatever you decide I am sure you will use (and catch more fish than those that don't have one).  I am considering getting a shuttle from Marcum so I can switch the Vex to Lithium.
Is the ice thick enough yet?

Offline Cal64

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Aug 10, 2017, 09:44 AM »
Last fall I was researching open water sonar. Then on a trip thru bass pro I found some discontinued garmin echo maps on sale. I bought one, then spent the winter trying to figure it out for ice fishing. This is a complicated unit that does a lot,and the learning curve is steep, but I now love this thing and can't fish without it. It allows you to make 1ft contour maps, while fishing in summer, then in winter you can use your map to find any place you want. If having only one unit for hard and soft water is a factor I would highly recommend. It's at the very least worth a look

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #6 on: Aug 10, 2017, 11:12 AM »

I presently own lowrance , and huminbird , I have sold off my vexs  , unless your fishing really deep then there are a few models that won't quite cut it , but in most cases they will all get the job done some just have more bells and whistles , marcum makes a nice product also , you find a unit that fits your budget and meets your requirements you should be satisfied, happy shopping

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Aug 10, 2017, 04:41 PM »
Helix is chirp sonar and has GPS which can use lakemaster or navionics - thats a big plus. The new free Humminbird basemaps are impressive as well. it also inlcudes autochart live to make maps on the fly. I would take a helix 7 ice gps gen2 any day - especially when you price compare it to the lx7. Take a look at the screen on the helix 7 vs a marcum, you'll be blown away

Catchin' Fish

Offline bigstorm

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Aug 10, 2017, 07:26 PM »
If you need GPS with mapping capabilities, then go with the Helix hands down. If you only want a flasher/graph then the LX7. I have an LX6 and the wife has an LX6i, both are great for marking fish at any depth. I use my Humminbird 597 from the boat for mapping/GPS in the winter

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Aug 10, 2017, 07:39 PM »
Garmin great value easy to use make sure you get a model for ice fishing other models dont have the flasher wheel or are side down scan hd scan etc only.. the gps are hands down one of the best.. 

Would this fit the build?? If you do like it check out panoptix transduecers for this unit ..

https://www.westmarine.com/buy/garmin--echomap-chirp-73dv-fishfinder-chartplotter-with-gt22-tm-clearv-chirp-transducer-and-lakev-hd-maps--17044736?gclid=Cj0KCQjwiLDMBRDFARIsACNmiX_uKWpWsgd1H_wckdMYaGa3zD6NNSNkmvCjgUXeojlSrEqnfTuSNLcaAhZTEALw_wcB

Offline bstawickiata

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Aug 12, 2017, 11:02 AM »
I have the Vexilar FLX-28 with the ultra pack and can't say enough about it. Check it out.

Offline SpitzoMT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FLX-28 Ultra Pack
« Reply #11 on: Aug 12, 2017, 03:26 PM »
I have 2 suggestions for you..........

Vexilar FLX-28.....Which I own & I have nothing bad to say about this unit.

Marcum LX-7.....Which I would also own.

I don't think one unit is better than the other, I just think they are different !!

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Aug 13, 2017, 02:39 AM »
I presently own lowrance , and huminbird , I have sold off my vexs  , unless your fishing really deep then there are a few models that won't quite cut it , but in most cases they will all get the job done some just have more bells and whistles , marcum makes a nice product also , you find a unit that fits your budget and meets your requirements you should be satisfied, happy shopping

I have lowarce x67c and a x4  bolth with out gps as your unit get older you notice little things that are different from the x67c to the x4 wich is one genaration newer..  like section of ping spreds depth etc is a lot easier and the view sharper.. I know your not looking at lowrance but pay attention that the graph...  flashers leave a trail of what happened on the screen you can cursor back to with the key pad and view... of how the other fish reacted when you jigged your lure weather they liked it on rise fall etc.. which on a wheel flasher screen the data is lost rather quickly that's why I suggest a graph..  and a flasher lastly although the vex are tanks it is a little out dated with what's new.  Like panoptix new wsy of seeing how fidh feed.. Kinda like the lx7 is better for ice then helix cause it has a screen heater if you what lcd stands for then you know why theres a heater. .. Cause the screen slows down as temp drops the screen almost freezes...  Litarally slows to a halt cause of temputure.. that's were Marcum is a better unit I notice my x67c and x4 do this as the temp falls as night gets closer is slowly slows down to a almost hault.. lcd is liquid crystal display  hence the liquid is freezing...  I think they solved this in the Marcum flashers.. .   I also own a garmin hand held I like cause when I am on  a atv snowmobile etc I got a ram mount that attaches it to the vehicle. You can also attach the finder to the handle bars too.for off roadin ...Any way the way i got it I have  two seprate units one for mushroom hunting fishing ,hunting , golffing, hiking, and etc and the other is for fishing with no gps in finder..  I keep mine seprate.. easier not to steel when separate  like out of sled off boat etc.. thre is that stuff and wondering woods looking for mushrooms is hard carring a flasher and battery .. see the point same with trying to find your tree stand.. lol's  best unit's are marcum for ice units for soft and hard water next is vex then  garmin then humming bird and lowrance .. the lowrance hummingbird and garmin I say are a tye...  cause they are soft water units more or less that are used for ice..but are not meant for ice..   another tid bit fish don't live very deep in winter they don't have to most fish trout steel head walleye are found in shallows adjacent to deep water see fish live in the deeper water cause it's warmer and they migrate shallow for food but the fish don't live in 100 or 200 fow so a 9* transduecer don't make to much sense ... cause most fish are found in under 60 fow.. our perch fishing happens in 3 to 4 inches to a couple feet on st clair and erie etc but walleye. Are a deeper  fish like 15 to 30 fow were lakers go from 12 to 60 fow each fish is different so pay attention to.migration charictoristics  of migrating predator fish..

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #13 on: Aug 13, 2017, 06:15 AM »
here in NY there are times we  fish over 100'  for lakers and thats where the forage was , with an old humminbird 45c , far as freeze ups I fish in a flip over with a little heat and have never had any problems with freeze ups , with my 45c , 67c or my helix 5 , but your right most fish are 60 or less

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Aug 13, 2017, 02:45 PM »
here in NY there are times we  fish over 100'  for lakers and thats where the forage was , with an old humminbird 45c , far as freeze ups I fish in a flip over with a little heat and have never had any problems with freeze ups , with my 45c , 67c or my helix 5 , but your right most fish are 60 or less

Yes your right I have seen a few lakers over 100 fow on ocations.. and ya I fish with a tent and with out... actives like hole hop that might be why I experienced the slow screen ??  At least it got brought up. So no one trying to hide it.. lol's

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #15 on: Aug 14, 2017, 03:18 AM »
and thats why I mentioned that some units  in deeper water won't pick up the jig , here it's not uncommon to pick up lakers in a 100'

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Aug 14, 2017, 02:26 PM »
Kinda like the lx7 is better for ice then helix cause it has a screen heater if you what lcd stands for then you know why theres a heater. .. Cause the screen slows down as temp drops the screen almost freezes...  Litarally slows to a halt cause of temputure.. that's were Marcum is a better unit

My Helix never slows down in the cold - ever. I had an old grayscale lcd fishfinder that would slow down in below 0 temps however.

Catchin' Fish

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Aug 14, 2017, 05:45 PM »
My Helix never slows down in the cold - ever. I had an old grayscale lcd fishfinder that would slow down in below 0 temps however.

Some have went to led but not many for there flashers I don't think helix from humming bird has but not sure..

Offline james

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Aug 18, 2017, 01:15 PM »
I bought the Helix 7 ice model last year and am very happy with it. The screen is very easy to see and overall it processes  pretty fast. You pick up or drop your jig and it shows it in real time with no delay.

Offline Monticatgeek

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Aug 19, 2017, 12:44 AM »
If I was you I would check out the new Vexilar FLX 20 that is coming out this year. I had a chance to see it in person today and let's just say I think it will be a good seller for Vexilar. it has some features of the old FL 20, FL22HD, & the FLX 28 all in one unit. check out the Vexilar web site for more info on it.
Fishing is not a hobby it is a way of life

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #20 on: Aug 19, 2017, 10:21 AM »

Some have went to led but not many for there flashers I don't think helix from humming bird has but not sure..
Humminbird Helix units have a TFT display.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Aug 19, 2017, 04:32 PM »
Wich is still lcd ..

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #22 on: Aug 19, 2017, 07:16 PM »
True, but TFT or active matrix screens don't slow down in a cold environment like passive matrix does. Humminbird had a Helix 5 Ice and a Helix 7 Ice last year. I think the Helix 5 Ice has been dropped for this year. Might have to pick up an ice ducer for my Helix 7 this winter.

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Aug 19, 2017, 10:42 PM »
The helix 5 and 7 are now gen 2 models with chirp and several other ehanced features

The tft, led backlit, bonded glass screens of the helix series are the best in the industry for brightness contrast and direct sunlight viewing. There is 0 lag with real time sonar and excellent display

Catchin' Fish

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Aug 19, 2017, 11:39 PM »
True, but TFT or active matrix screens don't slow down in a cold environment like passive matrix does. Humminbird had a Helix 5 Ice and a Helix 7 Ice last year. I think the Helix 5 Ice has been dropped for this year. Might have to pick up an ice ducer for my Helix 7 this winter.

Same screen in my x67c is a tft active same as humming bird helix  going to have same problems as I stated earlier..

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #25 on: Aug 20, 2017, 10:01 AM »
Time will tell. Mine is a Chirp GPS G2 with an LED TFT screen.

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Aug 20, 2017, 11:06 AM »
Same screen in my x67c is a tft active same as humming bird helix  going to have same problems as I stated earlier..

they're completely different actually - tft's have come a long way in the last 15 years lol. your old lowrance has low resolution with low pixel count - each pixel has a transistor, each transistor helps keep the screen warm in cold temps. You're display isn't bonded to the glass and is liely backlit with incidecent or cfl bulbs - humminbird is lit with led's and is bonded to the glass. Hummbird displays 16bit color while your lowrance only displays maybe 8 bit color (more likely less than that). Any modern color tft will not slow down in the cold

Catchin' Fish

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Aug 20, 2017, 07:52 PM »
Time will tell. Mine is a Chirp GPS G2 with an LED TFT screen.

Are you sure about it being led??

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #28 on: Aug 20, 2017, 08:56 PM »
It's still LCD active matrix and used for ice fishing navigation. Don't think I'll get a transducer for the ice until my old fashioned LX5 and FL18 quit breathing. Still like the old round display.

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Aug 20, 2017, 09:23 PM »
That sounds about right..  heard the there going brushless on the vexs and been hearing that a lot of marcums are junk.. still waiting to get my gear out to find my lowrace elite 4x don't work..  it was acting up when I put it away last year..  and humming bird was no champ either with their customer service.. seems like all the Chinese electonics are junk now a days??  What happened to Japanese electronics ?? Of the 80's ? Stuff till works my dad bought in the early 80's .. seems like every thing made now Is crap?? Then they change the soft ware so that fish finder in 10 to 20 years is oUT dated and not usable any more to down.load  new maps it like going from windows 32 bit to windows 64 bit every thing gets up graded so fast it not worth sinking money in the latest technology any more cause nothing is forever.. I may pick up a vex this year like a fl8 who needs all the fancy stuff most of all when it don't work right half the time?? I drop 200 to 400 in to a good vex I kick my self  cause it broke or some thing similar. . Lol's that's why I by the $100 vex or lowrace..   buy the way if it gets cold out how do you thing you gps will work.. that's why I got the hand held gps.. so I can keep in my coat so the batteries and screen will work when need.. any how that why I will stick with the hand held gps and not the ff gps .. I know the screens much bigger easier to read but will it work when cold?? Most of all when needed.. some white out conditions and getting lost is a big posibilty on the great lakes..

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.