New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: LAKE GEORGE BS THREAD  (Read 1346868 times)

Offline ship of fools

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: LAKE GEORGE BS THREAD
« Reply #11700 on: Feb 08, 2022, 06:58 PM »
Heard a lot of stories about that one. Apparently scared the crap out of a lot of people!!

We were out in the main lake and after it happened we had a crack open up near us. The ice was making a sound I've never heard before for a minute or two and we got out and looked and water was creeping toward us on top of the ice. We moved 100' and had no issues. I went out a couple days later and a different crack opened up and there was standing water for 5 feet on either side of it all the way to shore so I had to walk along it to shore to cross then backtrack to my car.
Goin' where the wind don't blow so strange,
Maybe off on some high cold mountain chain.

Offline liv4ice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11701 on: Feb 09, 2022, 04:07 PM »
This reaffirms the experience I had last week.  I was telling people of the cracking and almost like an explosion before the ice opened up in spots.  Never been more nervous on the ice when that happened.

Offline Lundpredator

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11702 on: Feb 09, 2022, 05:02 PM »
Anybody know how hearthstone is holding up? I know there was good ice, more concerned about cracks.  Debating taking the sled Friday.

Offline ship of fools

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11703 on: Feb 09, 2022, 05:13 PM »
This reaffirms the experience I had last week.  I was telling people of the cracking and almost like an explosion before the ice opened up in spots.  Never been more nervous on the ice when that happened.

Honestly that stuff doesn't scare me that much. As a general rule loud noisy ice is good ice and the chance you'll be right on a crack that splits wide open probably is similar to getting hit by lightning. Late season scares me way more.

Offline mike304

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11704 on: Feb 10, 2022, 06:03 AM »
Anybody know how hearthstone is holding up? I know there was good ice, more concerned about cracks.  Debating taking the sled Friday.
Saw guys on wheelers heading out of there yesterday if that's any help
A Government big enough to do anything for us is powerful enough to do anything to us!!!
All That Is Needed For Evil To Succeed Is For Good Men To Do Nothing!
Life is Tough, Its even tougher if you're Stupid!!

Offline Adironzach

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Certified Doe Dragger
« Reply #11705 on: Feb 10, 2022, 09:54 AM »
Honestly that stuff doesn't scare me that much. As a general rule loud noisy ice is good ice and the chance you'll be right on a crack that splits wide open probably is similar to getting hit by lightning. Late season scares me way more.

Im of the same thought John. The noisey loud ice doesnt make me flinch at this time of year. Late march is an entirely different story though. Ive had days before where 7.5-8" of ice honeycombed on me by 11:30am. Only bottom inch or so was honeycombed when i got out that day. It was a slow morning so started spudding towards a new spot and it was going through one punch. Needless to say one of the hairier and slower trips back to shore ive had

Offline Jkrum10238

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11706 on: Feb 10, 2022, 10:35 AM »
Does anyone have any insight if I can get a 24’ trailer into rogers rock and turn around?

Offline perchinmybucket

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11707 on: Feb 12, 2022, 06:15 PM »
Was out on the north end today on 12-13” of ice in hullets general area in deep water. Bite was brutal but noticed this warm weather did an absolute number on the ice. It was candled and honeycombed all the way through all 12”. Just a heads up to people on machines you may want to be careful.

Offline Bern73

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11708 on: Feb 12, 2022, 10:44 PM »
Tooo much "careful" everywhere.  It was leading mask mandate in schools and all that crap. Years and years careful bs.

Enjoy ice!   Thats all  ;D

Sorry from my soul . No more

Offline perchinmybucket

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11709 on: Feb 12, 2022, 10:51 PM »
Sorry I didn’t mean you to offend anyone or hurt any feelings for posting a report. I mean this page is only meant for BS right?

Offline Bern73

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11710 on: Feb 12, 2022, 11:04 PM »
Bs is different , some fisherman drop  "idea grain" , not "be careful".

:)

Offline HairyBagpipes

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Crappie make me happy
« Reply #11711 on: Feb 13, 2022, 04:39 AM »
Bs is different , some fisherman drop  "idea grain" , not "be careful".

:)

Don’t worry Perchinmybucket, I think Bernie is still upset about the loss he took to Gibby at Crappy Slam ‘93 on Brant Lake. Gibby went full send and never looked back. It’s bothered Bernie ever since.

I’d say reporting safe and unsafe situations is more important that what folks are catching. Keep up the good work Perch man.
If you need me, I’ll be ripping Crappie lips on Brant Lake.

Offline hardwaterhonkey

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11712 on: Feb 14, 2022, 07:22 AM »
Was out on the north end today on 12-13” of ice in hullets general area in deep water. Bite was brutal but noticed this warm weather did an absolute number on the ice. It was candled and honeycombed all the way through all 12”. Just a heads up to people on machines you may want to be careful.
I was all around there north a bunch this weekend and found zero honey combing black ice in some spots was still super solid where the snow blew it off or was a shanty and yes there was some patches of clear clear clear black ice where I was

Offline ship of fools

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11713 on: Feb 14, 2022, 09:48 AM »
I was all around there north a bunch this weekend and found zero honey combing black ice in some spots was still super solid where the snow blew it off or was a shanty and yes there was some patches of clear clear clear black ice where I was

Same thing I found on the main lake in the South Basin. Every hole i drilled had 12-14 inches of ice with maybe the top inch or two being white ice from the recent snow / melt and underneath was rock solid.

Offline perchinmybucket

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11714 on: Feb 14, 2022, 10:45 AM »
I was off PK with Zach yesterday and it was rock solid and nothing compared to my area just north of huletts landing. My spud went through the first 8” of ice in 4 hits on Saturday. I’m sure it’s all solid again but it makes you pucker up when you find ice like that.

Offline Jkrum10238

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11715 on: Feb 14, 2022, 10:54 AM »
Ice was very solid near rogers rock Saturday, 7 minimum of clear ice, 0 honeycombing, there was still snow on the ice in some spots. I did notice a few really large puddles that I avoided.

Offline hardwaterhonkey

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11716 on: Feb 14, 2022, 02:03 PM »
I was off PK with Zach yesterday and it was rock solid and nothing compared to my area just north of huletts landing. My spud went through the first 8” of ice in 4 hits on Saturday. I’m sure it’s all solid again but it makes you pucker up when you find ice like that.
Weird spot warm wind hitting it I found none of that luckily

Offline jghunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11717 on: Feb 14, 2022, 03:50 PM »
Pilot knob or vets park for Lakers?? I tried pilot knob last year in the deep short walk no takers. How is parking at vets?? Long walk to laker grounds?? Thanks guys

Offline hardwaterhonkey

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11718 on: Feb 15, 2022, 06:04 AM »
Pilot knob or vets park for Lakers?? I tried pilot knob last year in the deep short walk no takers. How is parking at vets?? Long walk to laker grounds?? Thanks guys
both the two most popular spots on lake, both been getting pounded parking at vets is fairly plentiful 30ish spots maybe a few more some weekend it does fill up tho, can park at the camp now at pk I wouldn't park by the beach

Offline Adironzach

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Certified Doe Dragger
« Reply #11719 on: Feb 15, 2022, 06:09 AM »
both the two most popular spots on lake, both been getting pounded parking at vets is fairly plentiful 30ish spots maybe a few more some weekend it does fill up tho, can park at the camp now at pk I wouldn't park by the beach

I know the tow truck has been down towing cars parked at the beach in the snow plow turn around. They have signs for ice fishing parking at Camp Chingacook entrance (YMCA). You can drop gear at beach and then drive back to Y and park. No risk of a ticket or a tow so much safer option if you decide to go out of PK

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #11720 on: Feb 15, 2022, 06:49 AM »

Either access you will need to hike to be productive. 

Offline Adironzach

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Certified Doe Dragger
« Reply #11721 on: Feb 15, 2022, 06:57 AM »
Either access you will need to hike to be productive.

With the glare ice, drag is pretty easy but be prepared to move if you head out of there. Further away from pressured areas you go, better results tend to be. I covered 4.5 miles out of PK on sunday and went 5 miles covering NW bay on monday

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #11722 on: Feb 15, 2022, 08:16 AM »
With the glare ice, drag is pretty easy but be prepared to move if you head out of there. Further away from pressured areas you go, better results tend to be. I covered 4.5 miles out of PK on sunday and went 5 miles covering NW bay on monday

So much water that never gets hit.  Sometimes showing up late and avoiding the herds is the way to be (assuming you get a parking spot)

Offline Jake1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11723 on: Feb 15, 2022, 01:31 PM »
So much water that never gets hit.  Sometimes showing up late and avoiding the herds is the way to be (assuming you get a parking spot)

100% agree went last Thursday at noon everyone coming off had the place to myself. Could not pay me to go there on a weekend even if those were the only times I could go I couldn't deal with the parking lot.

Offline Adironzach

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Certified Doe Dragger
« Reply #11724 on: Feb 15, 2022, 01:57 PM »
100% agree went last Thursday at noon everyone coming off had the place to myself. Could not pay me to go there on a weekend even if those were the only times I could go I couldn't deal with the parking lot.

I wa surprised by the number of vehicles that drove up to just look at the lake on sunday. Over a 15-20 min span while loading my truck back up after i got off, i counted at least 3 different cars come and stop, then get out to look around and take pictures of the lake. With multiple guys coming off the lake it was a sh!tshow of a traffic jam for a little there.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #11725 on: Feb 15, 2022, 06:20 PM »
Don’t worry Perchinmybucket, I think Bernie is still upset about the loss he took to Gibby at Crappy Slam ‘93 on Brant Lake. Gibby went full send and never looked back. It’s bothered Bernie ever since.

Ah the year before the great crappie blitz of 94.  I heard brant lake crappies were throwing themselves onto the ice.

Offline HairyBagpipes

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Crappie make me happy
« Reply #11726 on: Feb 16, 2022, 05:33 PM »
Ah the year before the great crappie blitz of 94.  I heard brant lake crappies were throwing themselves onto the ice.

‘94 was a great year for the slab Crappie on Brant. They slowed down in the years to follow. Gibby could hardly fill a beef stew can with filets. Since Gibby quit fishing three years ago the Crappie have come back in herds. Vinny says they’re like a bad rash this year, just can’t get away from them. Sounds like the Crappie are starting to push up on the trout. Tight lines and ripped lips fellas.
If you need me, I’ll be ripping Crappie lips on Brant Lake.

Offline mdougla1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11727 on: Feb 16, 2022, 06:18 PM »
‘94 was a great year for the slab Crappie on Brant. They slowed down in the years to follow. Gibby could hardly fill a beef stew can with filets. Since Gibby quit fishing three years ago the Crappie have come back in herds. Vinny says they’re like a bad rash this year, just can’t get away from them. Sounds like the Crappie are starting to push up on the trout. Tight lines and ripped lips fellas.

Was up to nemecs general store the other day looking for a corn planter (I'm looking to put in 3 acres of popping corn this spring) and some locals were in there talking about the size of the black crappies being caught on brant this season. Couldn't help but chuckle to myself having heard all the stories from the old timers who used to fish brant

16 inch average crappies is nothing to sneeze at these days (thanks Obama) but it's not what it was!   I'll tell you that for free
I'm not saying they're biting on Brant.  But they probably are

Offline DerekF_17

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11728 on: Feb 18, 2022, 06:56 PM »
Anyone been out after the warm rain? Headed up this weekend would appreciate any tips on areas to avoid sketchy ice.

Also, I’m Likely headed out of Vets by foot. I’ve never tried but see another park just south of there (Rogers Park). Is it feasible to get on there and head south?

Offline adkoutdoorsman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11729 on: Feb 18, 2022, 07:42 PM »
Anyone been out after the warm rain? Headed up this weekend would appreciate any tips on areas to avoid sketchy ice.

Also, I’m Likely headed out of Vets by foot. I’ve never tried but see another park just south of there (Rogers Park). Is it feasible to get on there and head south?

Don’t go through there. There’s bubblers on the town docks that weaken the ice. If you walk near there, you will go through. If you want to get to Bolton Bay or Huddle Bay, go through Bixby Road. It’s just a little bit south of it. Be careful.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.