New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: LAKE GEORGE BS THREAD  (Read 1346965 times)

Offline perchinmybucket

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: LAKE GEORGE BS THREAD
« Reply #11130 on: Feb 01, 2021, 08:13 PM »
I spy where the 30”+ ones are.

Id take a wild guess you were on close to 3"? brave man!

Offline hardwaterhonkey

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11131 on: Feb 02, 2021, 07:25 AM »
I had a great morning.  All alone.  Probably don't want to try to go there unless you are extremely comfortable with variable ice.

Atta boy jon!

Offline mike304

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11132 on: Feb 02, 2021, 07:53 AM »
Decent first day back out the got super tight lipped after about 9.

Nice mess of fish! I also like your beverage choice!!!
A Government big enough to do anything for us is powerful enough to do anything to us!!!
All That Is Needed For Evil To Succeed Is For Good Men To Do Nothing!
Life is Tough, Its even tougher if you're Stupid!!

Offline mike304

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11133 on: Feb 03, 2021, 06:19 AM »
Be careful out there guys, word is two guys went swimming yesterday again, one at MDB and one at Harris Bay.
A Government big enough to do anything for us is powerful enough to do anything to us!!!
All That Is Needed For Evil To Succeed Is For Good Men To Do Nothing!
Life is Tough, Its even tougher if you're Stupid!!

Offline DerekF_17

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11134 on: Feb 03, 2021, 06:44 AM »
How much snow did LG get the other day? Enough to stop the upcoming cold from doing it’s thing?

Offline samoljets

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11135 on: Feb 03, 2021, 09:01 AM »
Get in victory formation and take a knee! 

Offline ship of fools

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11136 on: Feb 03, 2021, 09:37 AM »
Thats a shame.  A 20 dollar piece of metal prevents that..also for those that may not know....you are on camera on a majority of LG ice.  Don't be like this guy....(this was just sent to me)

My father-in-law always said it pays to advertise ;D
Goin' where the wind don't blow so strange,
Maybe off on some high cold mountain chain.

Offline mdougla1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11137 on: Feb 03, 2021, 10:13 AM »
Thats a shame.  A 20 dollar piece of metal prevents that..also for those that may not know....you are on camera on a majority of LG ice.  Don't be like this guy....(this was just sent to me)

Trolling is usually an open water technique
I'm not saying they're biting on Brant.  But they probably are

Offline NatefishNY

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11138 on: Feb 03, 2021, 11:30 AM »

Thank you for this, I'm laughing my ass off at work right now  :roflmao: :roflmao:
            P.E.T.A. = People Eating Tasty Animals

Offline got em

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11139 on: Feb 03, 2021, 12:26 PM »
 ;D

Offline jflood

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11140 on: Feb 03, 2021, 12:41 PM »
Lol. That is too funny. Did that really happen or did someone photoshop??

Different topic. The LG reports and conditions page is pretty dead.
Can anyone speak to ice thickness off MBD or any of the bays.  ??? I saw a quad this morning on the MDB cam so I'm guessing at least 4.
Thanks

Offline CrappieCrazy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11141 on: Feb 03, 2021, 01:11 PM »
I was on Katskill yesterday and the clear ice was 7” and the ice with older snow on it was 3-4”, some spots looked even thinner that than 3”. With all this new snow, it’s gonna be difficult to tell the old snow/ice from the new. Bring your spud.

Offline bigfish1212

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11142 on: Feb 03, 2021, 01:18 PM »
Got a limit of those dink perch LG is known for today. And where I was the majority of the snow had blown off already.

Offline ship of fools

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11143 on: Feb 03, 2021, 01:51 PM »
Lol. That is too funny. Did that really happen or did someone photoshop??

Different topic. The LG reports and conditions page is pretty dead.
Can anyone speak to ice thickness off MBD or any of the bays.  ??? I saw a quad this morning on the MDB cam so I'm guessing at least 4.
Thanks

I haven't been out of MDB but have read plenty of reports. The ice formed before it snowed and the areas with snow on it have much less ice than the ice that had the snow blow off. Someone went in Saturday and I read someone went in yesterday. At the very least be aware and use caution.

Offline kpd145

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Shove 'em in
« Reply #11144 on: Feb 03, 2021, 03:25 PM »
I haven't been out of MDB but have read plenty of reports. The ice formed before it snowed and the areas with snow on it have much less ice than the ice that had the snow blow off. Someone went in Saturday and I read someone went in yesterday. At the very least be aware and use caution.

I was at MDB on Friday and there was plenty of good ice where I was and there werent many people north of me. Wonder where the person went through?

That said. Your right, I would still bring a spud to be safe.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming, "Wow! What a RIDE!"--Hunter S. Thompson

Offline hardwaterhonkey

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11145 on: Feb 03, 2021, 03:54 PM »
I was at MDB on Friday and there was plenty of good ice where I was and there werent many people north of me. Wonder where the person went through?

on bigger lakes a spuds useful all winter, have been thankful I've had mine quite a few times mid season in fridgid temps even

Offline ship of fools

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11146 on: Feb 04, 2021, 05:17 AM »

I was up that way for work on Friday and didn’t fish but walked out 30’ and it was 3 inches. Ten feet away under the snow it was an inch. I didn’t fish there this weekend but read on here from a reputable source that someone went in Saturday so that one I would take as fact. Once you get out to the ice that formed after the snow it’s far better. I just figured it would be helpful to share that because if someone sees a quad out they may assume it’s all good and let their guard down

Offline ship of fools

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11147 on: Feb 04, 2021, 05:24 AM »
on bigger lakes a spuds useful all winter, have been thankful I've had mine quite a few times mid season in fridgid temps even

Absolutely you may need a spud every time on George. The pressure cracks open and close and a spud is essential to safely cross them many times. One time we couldn’t get across a newly formed crack and had to walk all the way to shore on the far side of it  then cross at the shoreline and head back to the car. I bet we walked an extra half mile because of the detour. But that beats swimming 50’😎

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #11148 on: Feb 04, 2021, 08:18 AM »
I was up that way for work on Friday and didn’t fish but walked out 30’ and it was 3 inches. Ten feet away under the snow it was an inch. I didn’t fish there this weekend but read on here from a reputable source that someone went in Saturday so that one I would take as fact. Once you get out to the ice that formed after the snow it’s far better. I just figured it would be helpful to share that because if someone sees a quad out they may assume it’s all good and let their guard down

Me and Tony almost swam Sunday.  Spud hit found a giant circle of 1" of ice. No snow covering it.  We said to eachother someone will swim today and apparently it happened.

Offline hardwaterhonkey

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11149 on: Feb 04, 2021, 11:12 AM »
Absolutely you may need a spud every time on George. The pressure cracks open and close and a spud is essential to safely cross them many times. One time we couldn’t get across a newly formed crack and had to walk all the way to shore on the far side of it  then cross at the shoreline and head back to the car. I bet we walked an extra half mile because of the detour. But that beats swimming 50’😎

Luckily you are smarter then most and you had glare ice to ease the pains of an extra half mile drag last year had a crack pop open 6” wide while out fishing luckily was able to get sled across fine

Offline bigfish1212

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11150 on: Feb 04, 2021, 02:02 PM »
Another bonus crappie to go with my limit of perch today.

Offline Ammo5254

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11151 on: Feb 04, 2021, 05:55 PM »
Nice haul. MDB or Harris?

Offline Hardwaterhungry

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11152 on: Feb 04, 2021, 07:45 PM »
Does anyone know anything about conditions at Huletts?

Offline DerekF_17

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11153 on: Feb 04, 2021, 09:05 PM »
I assume this google maps image is some kind of fluke and there isn’t actually a submerged little town near Vets Park?

Related, anyone know what the ice is like up that way?  Could I reasonably expect to get to the red mark next weekend?

Offline H2OFOWLR

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11154 on: Feb 05, 2021, 06:36 AM »
Does anyone know anything about conditions at Huletts?

Buddy of mine fished it yesterday. Lookers no takers and about 4.5-5”. Atv’s were on it ???

Offline IcefisherSteve

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11155 on: Feb 05, 2021, 06:36 AM »
I fished Mdb On Thursday. Beautiful day out. Unfortunately fishing was beyond slow. Probably my slowest day on LG. A lot of dinks at 1st then NOTHING the rest of day. Moved around a bunch. Found massive schools of smelt though. Could see the school of smelt stacked up when lookin down the hole. Pretty cool.

Offline iceplank

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11156 on: Feb 05, 2021, 07:48 AM »
I am hearing lot of negative reports on Vets park on another site.  I never cared much for sawmill bay as it is hit or miss. I am hoping to walk past all that water this winter and get out into northwest bay and fish the ledges. Has anyone ventured out that far or is it still open? I love hearing guys complaining about all the dink perch in George.. ;)
friends dont let friends fish dead holes.

Offline butch76

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11157 on: Feb 05, 2021, 08:20 AM »
I assume this google maps image is some kind of fluke and there isn’t actually a submerged little town near Vets Park?]

Looks like some bad exposure or something since the outlines correspond to the buildings to the SE on the island.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #11158 on: Feb 05, 2021, 08:27 AM »
I assume this google maps image is some kind of fluke and there isn’t actually a submerged little town near Vets Park?

Related, anyone know what the ice is like up that way?  Could I reasonably expect to get to the red mark next weekend?

I walked past that Monday.  That spot usually has broken ice/ridges.

Offline Cowboys#1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11159 on: Feb 05, 2021, 08:36 AM »
Anyone been to Hearthstone? Any updates on ice, the hill or the bite would be greatly appreciated. Thanks fellow Iceshantyers!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.