New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: LAKE GEORGE BS THREAD  (Read 1346887 times)

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: LAKE GEORGE BS THREAD
« Reply #9990 on: Mar 05, 2019, 09:26 PM »
The big pike are currently eating.  ;D. 10 more days until season closes.

Have done that fishing to an excessive point.  Ill get back to it after I jig a massive laker.  Not until then.   ;D

Terry you are right I know it but I want the easy catching of LG out there.  Too much to ask for?

Offline jigshimmer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9991 on: Mar 05, 2019, 09:37 PM »
To the fellow in the red pick up at Huddle Bay. Thanks for picking up my ice cleat that I had lost and placing it on my pick up. Hope you had a good day. You made a good day better.

Offline SSmokinn SS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9992 on: Mar 05, 2019, 09:39 PM »
Have done that fishing to an excessive point.  Ill get back to it after I jig a massive laker.  Not until then.   ;D

Terry you are right I know it but I want the easy catching of LG out there.  Too much to ask for?

I haven’t even targeted lakers this year. Kinda moved on from them.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #9993 on: Mar 05, 2019, 09:46 PM »
I took a break too and enjoyed it.  Now going for that 1 fish and its a challenge....both from an ice safety standpoint and a skunk standpoint! 

Offline Fontona19

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9994 on: Mar 05, 2019, 09:51 PM »

It might be, if your expectations are too high. Not every lake has the ability to give it up like LG. Does not mean it isn't worth the effort. Not to mention if it is too easy that means everyone can do it, and where is the fun in that.

Offline Elmer Fudd

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9995 on: Mar 06, 2019, 01:46 PM »
I’m currently trying to pull a laker from the queen. I’m off of crown island in 65 fow. Haven’t had a mark. I slammed the perch midday on northwest bay. All went back i rarely keep a fish, so don’t think I’m going to keep your babies. Any special jigs I should be using? I’m using keitech swing impacts right now. The only jig I use during summer all over the state.

Offline wec

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9996 on: Mar 06, 2019, 02:34 PM »
I’m currently trying to pull a laker from the queen. I’m off of crown island in 65 fow. Haven’t had a mark. I slammed the perch midday on northwest bay. All went back i rarely keep a fish, so don’t think I’m going to keep your babies. Any special jigs I should be using? I’m using keitech swing impacts right now. The only jig I use during summer all over the state.

#6 white Swedish pimple.

Fishmon

« Reply #9997 on: Mar 06, 2019, 02:43 PM »
It happens every year during the doldrums. The second half of the season gets quite a bit more challenging. Change your programs to raise your percentages.

Agree.  Was striking out in usual spots with followers and halfhearted strikes and moved to shallower water and they were on fire hitting anything you dropped down.  Fish where the bait is!

Offline Chase88

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9998 on: Mar 06, 2019, 03:44 PM »
A lot of lakers this time of year are started to cruise right under the ice. They target smelt and ciscoes from above. If you are not marking any fish try up high... there are a ton of lakers in Lake George and they don't disappear.

Offline pmaloney86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9999 on: Mar 06, 2019, 03:48 PM »
A lot of lakers this time of year are started to cruise right under the ice. They target smelt and ciscoes from above. If you are not marking any fish try up high... there are a ton of lakers in Lake George and they don't disappear.

Makes sense!  I made my second trip last weekend and had a trap setup about 8 feet below the ice and caught a solid laker.
westernmas on the finder

Offline Elmer Fudd

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10000 on: Mar 06, 2019, 04:17 PM »
Thank you y’all for tips I’ll be out again in the A.M. this is my first trip to LG for Hardwater but I’d like to call out the guy who dumped his grill at the Veterans launch today. I’ll pick it up the in morning.

Offline Elmer Fudd

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10001 on: Mar 06, 2019, 04:19 PM »
What are you boys using under tip ups? PM me I’m a catch and release angler.

Offline pieman1998

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • just have to ice fish
« Reply #10002 on: Mar 06, 2019, 04:47 PM »
sucker 3" to 10" or shiners :tipup:

Offline hot tuna

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10003 on: Mar 06, 2019, 04:57 PM »
I like small- med suckers up to about 6".
The go to years ago were large icicles but now they are all tiny so we don't bother with them.
Hunts work okay if they are a decent size.
Large shiners ( not pike bait) is probably the most common used aside from a sucker.

I've had better luck with salmon on hunts , icicles or shiners than suckers

Offline SSmokinn SS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10004 on: Mar 06, 2019, 05:43 PM »
My 3 biggest LG lakers came on huge icicles (this was 17 years ago) about 20’ down, over 100’ of water.

Offline hot tuna

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10005 on: Mar 06, 2019, 06:22 PM »
My 3 biggest LG lakers came on huge icicles (this was 17 years ago) about 20’ down, over 100’ of water.

Gary outdoorsman and Conroy's both used to have nice 3 size icicles many years ago .
I haven't seen a good one in a long  while to use for Lakers on a tip up

Offline flyfisherman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10006 on: Mar 07, 2019, 05:47 AM »
I think you missed my point smoking ss.  I was just wondering if anyone else fished Hague and if they had the same experience.  The last time I fished there in 2014 and we did well.  I currently do well at other locations. 

Offline SSmokinn SS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10007 on: Mar 07, 2019, 06:17 AM »
I think you missed my point smoking ss.  I was just wondering if anyone else fished Hague and if they had the same experience.  The last time I fished there in 2014 and we did well.  I currently do well at other locations.

and I think you didnt read the conversation correctly.

Elmer Fudd asked a tip up/ bait question. I replied to him as well as several others.

I went back a few pages and cant even find a comment between me and you.

Offline gitthegaff

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "Fish on"
« Reply #10008 on: Mar 07, 2019, 06:30 AM »
Gary outdoorsman and Conroy's both used to have nice 3 size icicles many years ago .
I haven't seen a good one in a long  while to use for Lakers on a tip up

All the Bait in Lake George And surrounding area comes from the same place, Hog Island in Northern Vt.
Paul

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #10009 on: Mar 07, 2019, 09:38 AM »

Time to get relevant.  17 years ago since a big laker?  Ouch!

Offline Elmer Fudd

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10010 on: Mar 07, 2019, 10:17 AM »
My first laker through the ice. What a blast that was.

Offline SSmokinn SS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10011 on: Mar 07, 2019, 10:22 AM »
Time to get relevant.  17 years ago since a big laker?  Ouch!

Yes... and I have only laker fished 4 times since then  ;D. Not really my interest.

Offline WHITETAIL111

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10012 on: Mar 07, 2019, 10:44 AM »
How thick is the ice now guys...I know it varies.  Bringing a buddy and his 9 y.o son up to fish this weekend.  To say he is excited is an understatement!  The little guy couldn't sleep when I showed him some pictures of the lakers, pike, perch and bass we've caught over the years.
Might take them to Harris...undecided.  I know the ice is generally thicker there.  How much ice you guys seeing?  Thanks for any help you can provide.
That taxidermy man back home gonna have a heart attack when he see what I bring'em!!

Offline wec

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10013 on: Mar 07, 2019, 10:50 AM »
How thick is the ice now guys...I know it varies.  Bringing a buddy and his 9 y.o son up to fish this weekend.  To say he is excited is an understatement!  The little guy couldn't sleep when I showed him some pictures of the lakers, pike, perch and bass we've caught over the years.
Might take them to Harris...undecided.  I know the ice is generally thicker there.  How much ice you guys seeing?  Thanks for any help you can provide.

I was on 10-17 inches Friday and Saturday.

Offline wec

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10014 on: Mar 07, 2019, 10:51 AM »

Nice one, congrats.  Jigging or tip-up?

Offline WHITETAIL111

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10015 on: Mar 07, 2019, 11:28 AM »
I was on 10-17 inches Friday and Saturday.
  Thanks wec!!
That taxidermy man back home gonna have a heart attack when he see what I bring'em!!

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #10016 on: Mar 07, 2019, 12:16 PM »
Yes... and I have only laker fished 4 times since then  ;D. Not really my interest.

Where's the artifacts of those big lakers you caught?   ;D

Offline ship of fools

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10017 on: Mar 07, 2019, 12:40 PM »

Well done - get ready to fill the gas tank up over and over for the road trip north  ;D
Goin' where the wind don't blow so strange,
Maybe off on some high cold mountain chain.

Offline SSmokinn SS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10018 on: Mar 07, 2019, 12:58 PM »
Where's the artifacts of those big lakers you caught?   ;D

Big one is right there.

And every day on my way out of the garage it’s a good reminder why I don’t need to laker fish anymore  ;D ;D

Offline fullThrottle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10019 on: Mar 07, 2019, 01:03 PM »
knew that was coming, posting that picture was like back handing low lol maybe you can have low over and he can take a picture with it.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.