New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: LAKE GEORGE BS THREAD  (Read 1346993 times)

Offline flyfish413

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: LAKE GEORGE BS THREAD
« Reply #9750 on: Feb 21, 2019, 12:11 PM »
Just Got off the ice from there, lost 2 ciscos on the way up and marked probably 6 lakers, only 2 chased it, and the others were hugging the bottom something fierce. got frustrated and went to work... lol!

Yup pretty much the story of my day yesterday, but considering the 2.5 hour drive back I stuck it out through my aggravation.

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #9751 on: Feb 21, 2019, 03:45 PM »
I agree and know people like that as well.  Perchinmybucket I never thought id see the day where the cape cod canal could be full of guys at 2am in the morning.  10 years ago maybe a two dozen of us on any given weeknight.  Fast forward to today and because of social media its insanely packed.  Some of which is great...the local businesses are happy, people catching are happy.  Cars getting broken into more, more violence, more drama and many different types of people from ALL walks of life became aware of the fishing and now partake.  Any reasonable person can understand that even natural resources have a limit.  In the case of the canal its fishing space and fish.  Lake george no different.  If the few guys who caught constantly posted publically it would be natural for others to try for salmon when they may have never had the thought.  Much like I would have never started fishing LG if I didn't read this thread one day.  Any good sportsman should want to foster participation. We need it terribly. However times have changed and being careful about how much limelight we put on a specific area or species is part of being a good sportsman, at least that's how I feel.  You take nothing away from the beautiful salmon if you don't name the spot.  Its still a beautiful salmon.

Dead on.   Accurate.   This should be stickied somewhere for everyone to read.

Offline hot tuna

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9752 on: Feb 21, 2019, 04:11 PM »
Dead on.   Accurate.   This should be stickied somewhere for everyone to read.

Come on man,  you know and I know it's to late. The damage has already been done .
Facebook is just another leaky faucet as well.
Why do you think oneida is being bombarded and people are getting into bad situations other than sheep following a wolf in disguise

Offline Hardwater2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9753 on: Feb 21, 2019, 04:14 PM »
I agree and know people like that as well.  Perchinmybucket I never thought id see the day where the cape cod canal could be full of guys at 2am in the morning.  10 years ago maybe a two dozen of us on any given weeknight.  Fast forward to today and because of social media its insanely packed.  Some of which is great...the local businesses are happy, people catching are happy.  Cars getting broken into more, more violence, more drama and many different types of people from ALL walks of life became aware of the fishing and now partake.  Any reasonable person can understand that even natural resources have a limit.  In the case of the canal its fishing space and fish.  Lake george no different.  If the few guys who caught constantly posted publically it would be natural for others to try for salmon when they may have never had the thought.  Much like I would have never started fishing LG if I didn't read this thread one day.  Any good sportsman should want to foster participation. We need it terribly. However times have changed and being careful about how much limelight we put on a specific area or species is part of being a good sportsman, at least that's how I feel.  You take nothing away from the beautiful salmon if you don't name the spot.  Its still a beautiful salmon.

Nailed it!
Perfectly stated....

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #9754 on: Feb 21, 2019, 04:34 PM »
Thanks guys.  RE the Cisco's.  Of the 17 lakers I landed the other day only 2 chased.  The rest did not.  Something to think about.  If the bait is paving the bottom and staying there why would you expect the lakers to chase a jig away from where the easy meals are hanging?  Instead I saw the opposite.  A couple of times groups of 5-7 lakers would bomb down from 20 fow to 70 and hammer those ciscos on the bottom!  They were coming in on a good angle and using the water column as structure it was really cool to watch.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #9755 on: Feb 21, 2019, 04:35 PM »
Come on man,  you know and I know it's to late. The damage has already been done .
Facebook is just another leaky faucet as well.
Why do you think oneida is being bombarded and people are getting into bad situations other than sheep following a wolf in disguise
Yep there are sheep everywhere
You have two choices be a follower your try and find your own fish ,
   Tuna you are correct but Oneida has handled big pressure for years

Offline SSmokinn SS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9756 on: Feb 21, 2019, 04:54 PM »

Offline hot tuna

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9757 on: Feb 21, 2019, 05:03 PM »

Awesome  !!
I'm sure you will both remember that day forever

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #9758 on: Feb 21, 2019, 05:09 PM »

Great stuff SS

Offline delawareriver

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9759 on: Feb 21, 2019, 05:15 PM »
fished pilots the last two days. as many guy said yesterday was frustrating ended up with 1 and buddy got one, did mark a ton but not many chasing or interested in anything. today took a walk thinking out front would be packed again, little better some chasers, and the ones on bottom were more active. ended up 4 but all small ones. buddy got one nice one. trying to come up with a game plan for tomorrow. anyone that wants to help a couple first timers would appreciate a PM

Offline fullThrottle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9760 on: Feb 21, 2019, 05:31 PM »
Looking good ss. Got that boy hooked!

Offline mdougla1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9761 on: Feb 21, 2019, 05:37 PM »

I never would have started fishing LG if I didn't read this thread one day

Being careful about how much limelight we put on a specific area is part of being a good Sportsman

Holy smokes. You cannot make this up

Its only cool to learn about lakes online when i do it.
I'm not saying they're biting on Brant.  But they probably are

Offline Swinginhammers_and_fishin

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9762 on: Feb 21, 2019, 06:12 PM »
Ssmokin—-

Good work, was nice to see that.

Kid looks like he had a fun day with his old man

Offline SSmokinn SS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9763 on: Feb 21, 2019, 06:24 PM »

Offline Hardwater2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9764 on: Feb 21, 2019, 06:54 PM »
Thanks guys.  RE the Cisco's.  Of the 17 lakers I landed the other day only 2 chased.  The rest did not.  Something to think about.  If the bait is paving the bottom and staying there why would you expect the lakers to chase a jig away from where the easy meals are hanging?  Instead I saw the opposite.  A couple of times groups of 5-7 lakers would bomb down from 20 fow to 70 and hammer those ciscos on the bottom!  They were coming in on a good angle and using the water column as structure it was really cool to watch.

I fished LG on Tuesday and Wednesday from dark to dark both days. Just crazy.....I noticed Strikingly similar behavior! Suspended fish were diving to the bottom with regularity on my flasher. Was trying to dissect what was going on. (All part of the fun) Changing up jigging presentations,, not necessarily change in lures seemed to be key. It worked well for me, and Wednesday improved over Tuesday. Moving away from the crowds and looking for those “sweet spots” so to speak made a big difference. Landed 13 lost a few others. Regardless, biting or not it’s  nice to be out there! Headed back tomorrow to fish through the weekend. Good fishing everyone and enjoy the weekend👍

Offline hot tuna

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9765 on: Feb 21, 2019, 07:26 PM »
Yep there are sheep everywhere
You have two choices be a follower your try and find your own fish ,
   Tuna you are correct but Oneida has handled big pressure for years

I don't know a lot about that place but I can almost bet 10 or 15 years ago you didn't see as many pa,nj,ma plates as now.  I  know they are showing up on LG as well in the winter instead of just summer.

I tend to not chase or follow but just go fish

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #9766 on: Feb 21, 2019, 07:27 PM »
Nice job SS.  I may bring my daughter to LG for the first time Sunday.  She said this evening "I dont mind a long car ride dad"

She used to call lake trout lakermouths! People who take kids fishing are the coolest and I am definitely biased.

Offline hot tuna

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9767 on: Feb 21, 2019, 07:32 PM »
Nice job SS.  I may bring my daughter to LG for the first time Sunday.  She said this evening "I dont mind a long car ride dad"

She used to call lake trout lakermouths! People who take kids fishing are the coolest and I am definitely biased.

Do it man !!

Offline fullThrottle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9768 on: Feb 21, 2019, 07:57 PM »
Yeah bring the kids up. Rowan had a blast this week. Out fished me lol. Just remember snacks and drinks

Offline SSmokinn SS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9769 on: Feb 21, 2019, 07:58 PM »
Thanks guys. He had fun... but I am done with perch for the season. Finishing out the rest of the season going for the big girls that have giant teeth..

Gonna bring him farther north next weekend and show him the tip up game.

Offline SSmokinn SS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9770 on: Feb 21, 2019, 07:59 PM »
Yeah bring the kids up. Rowan had a blast this week. Out fished me lol. Just remember snacks and drinks

Snacks... your not kidding.

Offline fullThrottle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9771 on: Feb 21, 2019, 08:03 PM »
Lol yeah jerky keeps the yapping down. The bathroom situation is little bit tricky with the girls tho.

Offline hot tuna

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9772 on: Feb 21, 2019, 08:08 PM »
Lol yeah jerky keeps the yapping down. The bathroom situation is little bit tricky with the girls tho.

5 gallon bucket.  Dual purpose

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #9773 on: Feb 22, 2019, 04:52 AM »
Tuna your right there are more people these days on many lakes ,  with all the social media , including these 2 sites, videos , and FB ,
 Good or bad it’s all out there
 Seeing parents or grand parents taking kids fishing is the best

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #9774 on: Feb 22, 2019, 05:31 AM »
Do it man !!

You know I was thinking maybe a few exits up and a big hill might be fun for her too.  As for the bathroom situation she is fine.  We had to get tactical a few times trolling.  She loves when I cook hotdogs on the buddy heater.

Offline SSmokinn SS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9775 on: Feb 22, 2019, 06:35 AM »
You know I was thinking maybe a few exits up and a big hill might be fun for her too.  As for the bathroom situation she is fine.  We had to get tactical a few times trolling.  She loves when I cook hotdogs on the buddy heater.

I cooked spaghettio’s on the buddy heater for Avery lol

Offline hot tuna

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9776 on: Feb 22, 2019, 06:38 AM »

It fished very well the one and only day I made it out before getting sick.
34-40 fow

Offline pikemanEd

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9777 on: Feb 22, 2019, 07:03 AM »
Anyone worried about the wind coming on Sunday?  Possible gusts 40-60mph in the afternoon when the cold front passes. Models are showing gusts up to 70-80mph for buffalo when that wind starts there it won't take long to get windy on LG
Go big or go home

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #9778 on: Feb 22, 2019, 07:55 AM »
Wind forecasts are never to be trusted Ed.  RJ nice to hear.  Thst fishery has improved over the past few years from what ive noticed.

Offline basshunter12748

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9779 on: Feb 22, 2019, 08:23 AM »
Access on lake George is way bigger issue than overfishing.  Its a 32 mile long lake and most guys can only get on with there is ice.  Million dollar beach is an embarrassment,  about 15 boat and trailer spots and the rest is beach parking, plus the aggravation of enduring the ridiculous boat inspection and 20 dollars plus permit to launch.  Go to one of the private launches and expect to break out at least 70+ just to get on the water.   Once out there don't go within 30 yards of anyones precious dock or you get chewed out.  I got yelled at last year for using my powerpoles (no anchoring).  Tournaments have been effectively banned as boats and trailers from tourney guys have been targeted for tickets and it has made clear they are not welcome.  But yah the big issue is someone posting a salmon will blow it up haha c'mon

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.