New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: LAKE GEORGE BS THREAD  (Read 1347105 times)

Offline carpy

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: LAKE GEORGE BS THREAD
« Reply #9690 on: Feb 18, 2019, 10:45 AM »
We also fished out of vets yesterday. The perch bite was also off. We eventually wound up with our limit, but really had to work for them. :tipup:

Offline hot tuna

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9691 on: Feb 18, 2019, 11:03 AM »
Its pretty brutal out here today.  Fish are still finicky for sure

Offline hrlevi1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9692 on: Feb 18, 2019, 12:42 PM »
When out this weekend (Friday and Saturday) too and had a relatively slow weekend.  The walking on Friday was absolutely brutal on the way back.  Since the weather was pretty warm - a lot of the frozen snow melted into a slush which made the sled pulling tough.  The bite was no good at all on Friday and I fished from noon til dark.  Saturday changed locations and did better.  The perch bite was pretty good jigging grubs with a little jig.  Around 11am the bite just stopped dead still.  Oh well! 
Probably going to head out on Thursday to Dunhams bay.  Anyone doing any good there? 

Offline fullThrottle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9693 on: Feb 18, 2019, 05:02 PM »
Got the Atv’s loaded up. Ready to slay em tomorrow !

Offline ship of fools

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9694 on: Feb 18, 2019, 05:08 PM »
Got the Atv’s loaded up. Ready to slay em tomorrow !

Do you work on small outboards?
Goin' where the wind don't blow so strange,
Maybe off on some high cold mountain chain.

Offline fullThrottle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9695 on: Feb 18, 2019, 05:19 PM »

I only preform routine maintenance, winterize and shrink wrap. Not really repairs

Offline theTUGistheDRUG

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9696 on: Feb 18, 2019, 05:36 PM »
I was up this weekend at Fort Ann and saw the last truck submerged.  Damage was already done and they were trying to pull it out by the time I knew what was going on.  Bad day for a few people there.  Shout out to the guy who advised us against parking at the YMCA camp.  Buddy swore that 307 said we could park there.  Ended up third car in on the beach.

Fished over by Phelps Island.  Ice was about 6-7".  Tried everywhere from 35-120', ended up catching one on a set line.  Spent most of the time in 60-90'  Dropped 5 over 1 and 1/2 days using tubes and keitechs.  Most of them picked up the bait bouncing on bottom.  First time using mono in deep water and i managed to bungle a bunch of hooksets. >:(  They were not too eager to commit, would come flying up, chase for about 20', and then just stop  ???.  Buddy had better luck landing 4 up to 13"-25", all on a small silver pimple tipped with some meat.  That little one was the smallest laker I have ever seen.  This is the first time I ever fished LG, bit of humble pie.  Will get them next time for sure. :tipup: 

Offline SSmokinn SS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9697 on: Feb 18, 2019, 06:26 PM »

I can most likely.

PM me with what the issue is, if you wanna talk about it more. I work on big outboards, but the small ones are easier lol

Offline Justinrc21

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9698 on: Feb 18, 2019, 07:24 PM »
Any reports for Dunham’s bay?
'For those who have defended it, freedom has a taste the protected will never know' ~Unknown~

Offline Spoondangler

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9699 on: Feb 18, 2019, 09:01 PM »
How’s access at hearthstone? Can you park easily in the lower lot?

Offline icehouserlt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9700 on: Feb 18, 2019, 09:31 PM »
first trip to lg wasnt to bad. we fished off of hague beach got 8 on first day 18-26 in. got skunked second day and got 2 on third morning. will definetly be going back hopefully!!

Offline Rather-B-Fishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9701 on: Feb 18, 2019, 10:05 PM »

Good day out yesterday, mid lake, moved a bit, 8inches solid. Snowmobiles were nice not to run up on us this time!
Anyone see a Laker with this brilliant gold colors? All others were your typical white belly, this one was very different...wonder why the dramatic color variation? Tasted good!

Offline Adironzach

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Certified Doe Dragger
« Reply #9702 on: Feb 19, 2019, 01:35 AM »
Caught this beautiful 31" PB today on the wildest fishing experience of my life. I was jigging about 2.5-3' off the bottom when i see a mark slowly move in from above. As the mark starts to move in, im off and the chase is on! Crushes my lure right of the bat and starts peeling drag. A few minutes into the fight my reel starts malfunctioning to add to my growing anxiety (i had forgotten to bring reel inside prior to a trip over the polar vortex, impatiently tried using before warmed up completely and interior gears started to strip on me). After a good 5-6 minutes, im able to work her up to the hole, and unsuccessfully begin my attempt to land her. After another 3 minutes or so of the run around at the hole, the line finally breaks. My buddy turns around in disgust as i instinctively drop to the ice and plunge my arm into the hole to try and snag it. Well i had somebody looking over me today as i miraculously found it under the ice, with my hand firmly finding a grip just behind the head along the gill plate. I ended up having to go in up to my arm pit, but was 100% worth it for the story of a lifetime! 

(i always bring extra clothing with me onto the ice as i am clumsy and stuff tends to get wet - paid off in dividends today!  ;D

Offline ICE WANDERER

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Looking for ice
« Reply #9703 on: Feb 19, 2019, 03:55 AM »
Caught this beautiful 31" PB today on the wildest fishing experience of my life. I was jigging about 2.5-3' off the bottom when i see a mark slowly move in from above. As the mark starts to move in, im off and the chase is on! Crushes my lure right of the bat and starts peeling drag. A few minutes into the fight my reel starts malfunctioning to add to my growing anxiety (i had forgotten to bring reel inside prior to a trip over the polar vortex, impatiently tried using before warmed up completely and interior gears started to strip on me). After a good 5-6 minutes, im able to work her up to the hole, and unsuccessfully begin my attempt to land her. After another 3 minutes or so of the run around at the hole, the line finally breaks. My buddy turns around in disgust as i instinctively drop to the ice and plunge my arm into the hole to try and snag it. Well i had somebody looking over me today as i miraculously found it under the ice, with my hand firmly finding a grip just behind the head along the gill plate. I ended up having to go in up to my arm pit, but was 100% worth it for the story of a lifetime! 

(i always bring extra clothing with me onto the ice as i am clumsy and stuff tends to get wet - paid off in dividends today!  ;D

That was a bold move, that lure in it's mouth could have you both hooked, but good job saving the fish.

IW

Offline ICE WANDERER

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Looking for ice
« Reply #9704 on: Feb 19, 2019, 04:12 AM »
              If you noticed the front end of the trucks went under before the rear ends, therefor the exhaust couldn't act like an ice eater. I would believe it more like
              a hole drilled or the ice just cracked enough for water to come up through! I've seen this before!

IW
[/quote
              I hate to keep dwelling on this but if you notice in the picture the water is deeper on the right, that would mean that is where it started from, again I
              believe it came from a hole drilled. Several years ago 5 truck went through in the same spot and someone had drilled a hole

IW

Offline slipbob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Friends don't let friends use tipups!
« Reply #9705 on: Feb 19, 2019, 07:01 AM »
Any reports for Dunham’s bay?

I spent some time in Dunham's Saturday on the atv but I came across from Hearthstone.  There seemed to be at least a foot of ice in most places except for a couple thin spots just to the east of Diamond Island in the channel. 

Offline ICE WANDERER

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Looking for ice
« Reply #9706 on: Feb 19, 2019, 07:57 AM »
You could very well be right but I'm not sure why you think thats where it started from - could just mean thats where the low spot is in that area and thats where the water ran to.
              I know that can be true but where the water pumps up through a hole, most likely it is the lowest spot, and as the ice sinks it would be the deepest in the water.
              And in the picture there is a third vehicle beyond the outside truck and not affected.

IW

Offline SSmokinn SS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9707 on: Feb 19, 2019, 08:17 AM »
Does anyone know the snow conditions on the lake right now? How much snow did they get yesterday/ last night?  Bringing my 5 year old son to huddle on Thursday for his first real ice fishing experience and I am curious if he can ride his 50cc quad out.

Offline ship of fools

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9708 on: Feb 19, 2019, 08:32 AM »
I can most likely.

PM me with what the issue is, if you wanna talk about it more. I work on big outboards, but the small ones are easier lol

Sent you a pm - let me know what you think

thanks!
Goin' where the wind don't blow so strange,
Maybe off on some high cold mountain chain.

Offline hot tuna

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9709 on: Feb 19, 2019, 08:53 AM »
Does anyone know the snow conditions on the lake right now? How much snow did they get yesterday/ last night?  Bringing my 5 year old son to huddle on Thursday for his first real ice fishing experience and I am curious if he can ride his 50cc quad out.

Really only got a dusting yesterday.  There were no issues with ATV.  The snow that was there before has been compressed and not much yesterday.

Schroon has about 5" powder

Offline SSmokinn SS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9710 on: Feb 19, 2019, 09:19 AM »
Really only got a dusting yesterday.  There were no issues with ATV.  The snow that was there before has been compressed and not much yesterday.

Schroon has about 5" powder

Thank you.

Offline Fishmarket

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9711 on: Feb 19, 2019, 03:01 PM »
Spent yeserday morning with the kids and some friends.  I think a couple first timers are hooked

AM

Offline Spoondangler

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9712 on: Feb 19, 2019, 05:09 PM »
How’s access at hearthstone? Can you park easily in the lower lot?

To answer my own question, you can easily park at lower lot,

Good day there, not too much snow on ice and iced 9 Lakers to 24”. All bites came from 3-5 despite getting there at 7:30

Offline fullThrottle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9713 on: Feb 19, 2019, 08:09 PM »
Thank you.

North end had about 6 inches of snow. Most of the lake looked blown. Just dusty snow. Perfect for the shanty skirt !

Offline Chase88

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9714 on: Feb 20, 2019, 07:39 AM »
              If you noticed the front end of the trucks went under before the rear ends, therefor the exhaust couldn't act like an ice eater. I would believe it more like
              a hole drilled or the ice just cracked enough for water to come up through! I've seen this before!

IW
[/quote
              I hate to keep dwelling on this but if you notice in the picture the water is deeper on the right, that would mean that is where it started from, again I
              believe it came from a hole drilled. Several years ago 5 truck went through in the same spot and someone had drilled a hole

IW
The water actually started from a hole near the left rear tire of the truck with the printing on a the window. I was there around 9:00 and there was a whole line of trucks and cars then. The water was pouring out because of all the weight from the vehicles. I was there a some years ago when the same thing happened because someone drilled a hole where the vehicles were.  I guess they were trying see if the ice was thick enough to park on and they don't realize that once the hole is open the water pours up and the weight of water weighs everything down. Did manage to warn a lot of the people that were parked there but there was people all over the lake. This was not a drilled hole but looked like a crack or someone had taken a spud to the ice. If it had been a drilled hole I think there would have been a few more vehicles in because the water would have come up faster. This was not started by a vehicle running.  Lesson here don't weaken ice with a big load on it....

Offline prchslyr

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9715 on: Feb 20, 2019, 07:50 AM »
Lil tidbit I picked up playing with some finicky lakers last weekend.
My first couple hours were extremely frustrating with nothing working until I started to reel faster.
I was stunned with how quick of a retrieve I had to make to get them to commit. I also couldn't hesitate with a marked fish. If I wasn't on it immediately and racing up to the surface the fish would lose interest after a maddening chase all the way up to my feet.
The first 2 hours were a goose egg until I figured them out.
Bottom blast. Followed by a dead stick 15' up. Start screaming up as soon as I saw a mark. No twitch or pause. Just reel. Finicky fish became more aggressive than anything I've seen. I might be finally figuring this laker crap out.
6 fish hit like this in an hour. I took the hour as a win and moved in for perch!  ;D

The angle of the dangle is directly proportionate to the heat of the beat.
http://i63.tinypic.com/ei5njr.png

Offline Fishmongerlyndon

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9716 on: Feb 20, 2019, 08:28 AM »
My first couple hours were extremely frustrating with nothing working until I started to reel faster.
I was stunned with how quick of a retrieve I had to make to get them to commit. I also couldn't hesitate with a marked fish. If I wasn't on it immediately and racing up to the surface the fish would lose interest after a maddening chase all the way up to my feet.
Bottom blast. Followed by a dead stick 15' up. Start screaming up as soon as I saw a mark. No twitch or pause. Just reel. Finicky fish became more aggressive than anything I've seen. I might be finally figuring this laker crap out.
6 fish hit like this in an hour. I took the hour as a win and moved in for perch!  ;D

Thats funny you say that because I found the opposite. I could only get them to bite if i left my jig on the bottom and twitched it every now and then.

Offline Cowboys#1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9717 on: Feb 20, 2019, 08:37 AM »
To answer my own question, you can easily park at lower lot,

Good day there, not too much snow on ice and iced 9 Lakers to 24”. All bites came from 3-5 despite getting there at 7:30
Thanks Spoon. I have been waiting for someone to answer your question. I'm going to Hearthstone Friday morning for the first time ever. I will be on foot. How long of walk is it to laker water? Not looking for your spot just an idea of where to start. Thanks

Offline hot tuna

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9718 on: Feb 20, 2019, 09:41 AM »
With the freezing rain and then rain tomorrow,  parking at the bottom may be dicey on Friday.

Your in lakeer water right off the git go so you don't have to walk far at all. If you end up parking at the top, that will be the brutal drag.

Offline SSmokinn SS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9719 on: Feb 20, 2019, 11:41 AM »

They love to chase. That’s why many of us use baitcasting reels with a higher gear ratio. Less work to reel fast.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.