New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: LAKE GEORGE BS THREAD  (Read 1347072 times)

Online ship of fools

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: LAKE GEORGE BS THREAD
« Reply #9390 on: Feb 06, 2019, 08:30 AM »
There are way more being caught than most know about. Most that catch salmon regularly don’t brag on the internet like those that catch a random one.

It was an outstanding open water season for them. We caught two or three on the charter i did and I watched his facebook page and he caught them all summer.

Goin' where the wind don't blow so strange,
Maybe off on some high cold mountain chain.

Offline Forest

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9391 on: Feb 06, 2019, 09:22 AM »
Anyone want to give me some pointers on Lake George?
I just moved to Luzerne. Never fished LG before

I have been hitting some small ponds in Warren County but I’m tired of catching dink pickerel lol.

Offline Buckmaster7600

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9392 on: Feb 06, 2019, 09:27 AM »

It was an outstanding open water season for them. We caught two or three on the charter i did and I watched his facebook page and he caught them all summer.

From someone that lives here and fishes the lake 2-3 times a week all year I wouldn’t call the salmon fishing outstanding, I would say the salmon fishing is 10% of what it was 20years ago. It is coming back but it has a long ways to go! That being said it’s been a pretty good start so far for salmon.

Offline prchslyr

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9393 on: Feb 06, 2019, 09:45 AM »
There are way more being caught than most know about. Most that catch salmon regularly don’t brag on the internet like those that catch a random one.
This dude is 100% on the money.
My buddies that put in the effort with 6 tipups just under the ice are getting them more often than I remember the last 10 or 15 years.
I just can't bring myself to fool with tipups anymore.
The angle of the dangle is directly proportionate to the heat of the beat.
http://i63.tinypic.com/ei5njr.png

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #9394 on: Feb 06, 2019, 10:26 AM »
This dude is 100% on the money.
My buddies that put in the effort with 6 tipups just under the ice are getting them more often than I remember the last 10 or 15 years.
I just can't bring myself to fool with tipups anymore.

Yup I know guys that nail them almost every trip out.

Offline SSmokinn SS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9395 on: Feb 06, 2019, 12:09 PM »
Can you access off huddle beach road or are ht bubblers to much?

I’m sure it’s fine.

I got on at Bixby Beach Rd yesterday and that was good. Bixby access goes before huddle rd.

Offline Fishmarket

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9396 on: Feb 06, 2019, 12:15 PM »
Anyone want to give me some pointers on Lake George?
I just moved to Luzerne. Never fished LG before

I have been hitting some small ponds in Warren County but I’m tired of catching dink pickerel lol.

What species are you looking to go after?  There's lots of good info on the thread if you go have spare time to back through it all.  Theres also a LG perch thread on here although it hasnt been very active lately.
AM

Offline Forest

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9397 on: Feb 06, 2019, 03:16 PM »

What species are you looking to go after?  There's lots of good info on the thread if you go have spare time to back through it all.  Theres also a LG perch thread on here although it hasnt been very active lately.

Well a laker is on my bucket list as I have never caught one.
But I think for my first shot I’d  like to stick with warm water species like perch etc. I haven’t heard much about bass or pike or eyes in LG but I guess they’re there somewhere?

I will do some more looking in previous threads as you said.

Offline Big Tupper

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9398 on: Feb 06, 2019, 03:50 PM »
Went Laker Jigging off Pilot knob today for the very 1st time, I was in 80 ft of water, man that is tough fishing. Did catch my 1st laker that chased almost 40 ft before it smashed me. Only 1 laker out of 4 chasers but marking fish was far and far between. Is that the norm for Laker Jigging? Some areas only 4 to 5 inches of ice. Used a marcum and a swim jig. Any feedback would be great that's very slow fishing....

Offline fullThrottle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9399 on: Feb 06, 2019, 03:58 PM »
Maybe down size your bait. I like a 2.5 inch plastic because you’ll get smaller fish and larger fish. I’ve fished larger baits and you get a lot of lookers but not as many takers.

Offline Big Tupper

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9400 on: Feb 06, 2019, 04:05 PM »
How long do you guys wait for marks before you move on? There was a lot of people around not much catching going, be careful out there fellows after this rain.

Shawn

Offline SSmokinn SS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9401 on: Feb 06, 2019, 04:11 PM »

Offline fullThrottle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9402 on: Feb 06, 2019, 04:21 PM »
How long do you guys wait for marks before you move on? There was a lot of people around not much catching going, be careful out there fellows after this rain.

Shawn

I’ll start moving it as soon as I see the mark. 

Offline got em

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9403 on: Feb 06, 2019, 04:23 PM »
 ;D . Got on at bixby Beach. . Hearthstone packed . . Huddle  also.   . . Drilled three holes . . 😗 .  Done.   Back in ravena by noon . .

Offline Toyotaguy 1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9404 on: Feb 06, 2019, 04:24 PM »
Best thing I can say is get away from the crowds .

Offline Fontona19

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9405 on: Feb 06, 2019, 04:32 PM »
Well a laker is on my bucket list as I have never caught one.
But I think for my first shot I’d  like to stick with warm water species like perch etc. I haven’t heard much about bass or pike or eyes in LG but I guess they’re there somewhere?

I will do some more looking in previous threads as you said.

You have a good chance of catching a Laker no matter what type of fishing you're doing in that Lake. There are plenty of bass around, and definitely some decent Pike, unfortunately there are no walleye unless you ask some of the Yahoos on here.   :whistle: @)

Offline Toyotaguy 1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9406 on: Feb 06, 2019, 04:35 PM »

I’ll start moving it as soon as I see the mark.

I think he meant how long before you move to a different location

Offline Fishmarket

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9407 on: Feb 06, 2019, 04:36 PM »

Good haul. Found some good ones myself

AM

Offline sameoljets

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9408 on: Feb 06, 2019, 04:55 PM »
Lots of pressure ridges and heaves forming.  Keep your eyes peeled.  Ice was much different headed back in

Offline Big Tupper

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9409 on: Feb 06, 2019, 04:59 PM »
Nice Perch, yes I meant how long to move to a different area. We actually started off with perch today but it was slow. We accidentally used a few holes that some guys had drilled but they were real cool about it so we gave them a bunch of nice perch so it was a win win. The way it should be.

Offline SSmokinn SS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9410 on: Feb 06, 2019, 06:01 PM »
;D . Got on at bixby Beach. . Hearthstone packed . . Huddle  also.   . . Drilled three holes . . 😗 .  Done.   Back in ravena by noon . .

So in other words you took home a limit of 7-8”s? Lol

Offline pixleyken

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9411 on: Feb 06, 2019, 06:18 PM »
Pilot knob gonna survive this warm up for Saturday? Looks like ice up there tonight but rain tomorrow night

Offline SSmokinn SS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9412 on: Feb 06, 2019, 06:27 PM »
Pilot knob gonna survive this warm up for Saturday? Looks like ice up there tonight but rain tomorrow night

I’m not sure. That area will go quick with this weather we have been having. I’d be cautious your next trip back there.

Offline TimK

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9413 on: Feb 06, 2019, 06:41 PM »

Good haul. Found some good ones myself

Looks like the perchn's been good this week!

Friends don't let Friends use Tip-Ups

Offline SSmokinn SS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9414 on: Feb 06, 2019, 06:46 PM »

Looks like the perchn's been good this week!

10” average... nice. 9” average is my minumum to keep.

Offline icecaptain14

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9415 on: Feb 06, 2019, 07:01 PM »
Any close parking to basin bay always wanted to fish it but didn't know any access there

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #9416 on: Feb 06, 2019, 08:22 PM »

Shawn

Sometimes I never move.  You can ruin an entire trip trying to find the "spot"  if you are in an area and you've marked a few but they don't hit...start going through a rotation of offerings before you move.  So many times a subtle switch in presentation will change everything.  Plenty of times where I've marked squat in a spot for 30 minutes, change jigs and bam.

Now there are times where some moves have helped but more often than not if I'm in a decent area I can be patient enough to hit a school that comes through.  Sometimes all of the catching is limited to an hour or 2 out of an 8 hour trip. 

Offline Fishmarket

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9417 on: Feb 06, 2019, 10:46 PM »
Sometimes I never move.  You can ruin an entire trip trying to find the "spot"  if you are in an area and you've marked a few but they don't hit...start going through a rotation of offerings before you move.  So many times a subtle switch in presentation will change everything.  Plenty of times where I've marked squat in a spot for 30 minutes, change jigs and bam.

Now there are times where some moves have helped but more often than not if I'm in a decent area I can be patient enough to hit a school that comes through.  Sometimes all of the catching is limited to an hour or 2 out of an 8 hour trip.

Good info man.  I just got into the jigging for laker game last year and enjoy hearing what you die hards have to say.  I find my self often asking myself if I should make a move.
AM

Offline step2jimi

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9418 on: Feb 06, 2019, 10:55 PM »
For me it all depends on how many fish Im marking. If I have single fish coming in every 20 minutes they better be aggressive. If they are coming in and haphazardly chasing or just looking and leaving I will move. Not big moves maybe 50 yards a time. If Im having multiple fish come in each time but they're not chasing its time to figure out what they want. I rarely change lures just change what Im doing either to get them to come look or change what i do once i mark. I was turned on to a lure a few years ago and haven't used much of anything else sens. Honestly most of my moving comes 1st thing in the morning. If my 1st hole doesn't produce a mark in the first 15 minutes i move. When I find a hole that's marking but fish don't seem to be aggressive its usually as simple as working my bait a little higher in the water column. It seems if they come up a little higher to investigate they are more committed to chase. Great thing about lake George is, if you find a hole thats marking a bunch of fish, you should have too much trouble enticing them to chase.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #9419 on: Feb 07, 2019, 01:35 AM »
Good info man.  I just got into the jigging for laker game last year and enjoy hearing what you die hards have to say.  I find my self often asking myself if I should make a move.

You may never get out of the game, it's a lot of fun. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.