New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: LAKE GEORGE BS THREAD  (Read 1346934 times)

Offline Fontona19

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: LAKE GEORGE BS THREAD
« Reply #8160 on: Jan 29, 2018, 07:46 AM »
It was something else to see that young man tangle with that big lake or on such a light Rod. Very impressive! The colors on that fish where amazing as well. It's going to look great on the wall.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #8161 on: Jan 29, 2018, 07:49 AM »
The boy already has some local lore?!?!
We jigged perch this past Saturday. Someone is messing with you about him landing 27 lake trout.
We only get those kind of numbers when we're fishing perch. We'll call it a legit 9 trout the Saturday before. In order to count the one he handed off to his big brother.  ;D

Handing fish off already! What a sportsman.  My numbers are a bit off this year.  Lance doesnt share many with me  ;D

Offline TJM781

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8162 on: Jan 29, 2018, 10:14 AM »
A nasty one opened up just north of Still Bay yesterday. I freaked out a little when I pulled up to it to see a helmet floating. I ripped up to the first big group I saw and they verified that no one could've
gone in or they would've seen it. Thought for sure I was calling a rescue in. The crack
extended from the north shore just north of Still and went about 30% across. Part of it is wide enough to sink you. I'm running right up the middle today and the spud will be with me to check when I need.

I'll gladly offer that I rode north from MDB for exactly 4 miles because I didn't catch squat.
If anyone lost a helmet out there yesterday. Holler at me with a description and I'll gladly get it back to you.

Thanks! I was unsure of the conditions in diamond island area, had been both north & south, but was hesitant to leave from mbd and go all the way. We mounted a bench seat to the atv trailer so I'm riding 2 on machine + 3-4 on trailer + gear... I try to stay over 8"s.

Offline Garufi518

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8163 on: Jan 29, 2018, 12:17 PM »
Wednesday can’t come soon enough

Offline TRT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Trout/Salmon
« Reply #8164 on: Jan 29, 2018, 01:59 PM »
Lake totally frozen over? I see the post about ice out to diamond Island, how about Pilot Knob area?
Thanks

Offline prchslyr

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8165 on: Jan 29, 2018, 02:04 PM »
Lake totally frozen over? I see the post about ice out to diamond Island, how about Pilot Knob area?
Thanks
We got really close to some decent ice out there, but the last 2 days destroyed the chance of getting on there now.
Pilot Knob is a no go from what I've heard. Hope for another good arctic blast soon or it isn't happening this year.
Fingers crossed there is still hope.

The angle of the dangle is directly proportionate to the heat of the beat.
http://i63.tinypic.com/ei5njr.png

Offline fishy1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8166 on: Jan 29, 2018, 02:30 PM »
went by the lake george yesterday and hague are was mostly water that i could see didnt see much ice until bolton landing and lots of fisherman.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #8167 on: Jan 29, 2018, 02:43 PM »
Thanks

2 went swimming Saturday off the Knob.  From what I understand both made it out.

Offline icebuck

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8168 on: Jan 29, 2018, 04:24 PM »
Thanks

Absolutely not. Open water just a few hundred yards out from FA Beach

Offline fullThrottle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8169 on: Jan 29, 2018, 07:53 PM »
I made it to diamond island no problem. You could see the ice broke up and froze back up.  About a foot thick. Couple guys told me it gets real sketchy past Long Island and not to drive past it .

Offline TJM781

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8170 on: Jan 29, 2018, 08:45 PM »
I made it to diamond island no problem. You could see the ice broke up and froze back up.  About a foot thick. Couple guys told me it gets real sketchy past Long Island and not to drive past it .

I explored around yesterday. There was a weird area, maybe a pressure ridge that came off Long Island about 3/4 up the island on the west side. I didn't get close enough to check it out. There was over 12", I still probably won't go much beyond canoe island until a good cold blast.

Offline Global Warming in CT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8171 on: Jan 29, 2018, 09:03 PM »
Any suggestions for good places to stay up there? I'm hoping to come up for a Sun through Tues in a few weeks, weather/ice conditions permitting. I frequent LG in the summer to visit family with a camp on Pilot Knob, but oddly I've never fished it through the ice. Not looking for anyone's secret spot, just somewhere decent where I can fish nearby with the family for a few days. Thanks.

Offline bigfish1212

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8172 on: Jan 29, 2018, 09:05 PM »
I explored around yesterday. There was a weird area, maybe a pressure ridge that came off Long Island about 3/4 up the island on the west side. I didn't get close enough to check it out. There was over 12", I still probably won't go much beyond canoe island until a good cold blast.
Most years there is a pretty big ridge in that area that can be pretty sketchy, it usually forms just north of Long Island and goes across to somewhere near Elizabeth Island.

Offline TJM781

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8173 on: Jan 29, 2018, 09:57 PM »
Most years there is a pretty big ridge in that area that can be pretty sketchy, it usually forms just north of Long Island and goes across to somewhere near Elizabeth Island.
Thanks! It's my first year and there's so many places I want to check out...after 4 trips out I'm totally addicted to lakers and without knowing anyone it's a little nerve racking riding around in circles over new water looking for ridges! Lol!

Offline mealworm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • summer sucks
« Reply #8174 on: Jan 30, 2018, 12:19 AM »
Any suggestions for good places to stay up there? I'm hoping to come up for a Sun through Tues in a few weeks, weather/ice conditions permitting. I frequent LG in the summer to visit family with a camp on Pilot Knob, but oddly I've never fished it through the ice. Not looking for anyone's secret spot, just somewhere decent where I can fish nearby with the family for a few days. Thanks.
pm sent

Offline icebuck

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8175 on: Jan 30, 2018, 06:13 AM »

Lake George Village has tons of hotels/motels. I was part of a group function at the Dunhams Bay Lodge this fall on the East Shore. They have cabins and motel units too, meals and is a good overall hub for getting to various ice fishing spots. And, the bartender is a fisherman!

Offline Global Warming in CT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8176 on: Jan 30, 2018, 09:02 AM »
Thanks for the PM and replies guys. I also looked into Trout House in Hague but seems a bit pricey. Not looking for luxury, just a place to sleep that's preferably real close to the lake. Looks like I have some options. Can't wait to drill some holes in the King.

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #8177 on: Jan 30, 2018, 09:56 AM »

Very good advice.  thats where the ice broke up and pushed south last week.   It gets REAL thin, real quick other side of that, and its tough to tell in places where the transition is.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #8178 on: Jan 30, 2018, 11:52 AM »
Thanks for the PM and replies guys. I also looked into Trout House in Hague but seems a bit pricey. Not looking for luxury, just a place to sleep that's preferably real close to the lake. Looks like I have some options. Can't wait to drill some holes in the King.

Trout house has been very good to me. 

Offline mealworm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • summer sucks
« Reply #8179 on: Jan 30, 2018, 02:08 PM »
Found another good laker bite. Had to cross the isthmus of Panama to get there but it was worth it. Marked a lot of fish early but would not bite went small and subtle in 70fow to be the ticket fished 5 hours landed 15 and lost a few. Smallest was 23 biggest was 29.Most fish were spitting up grass shrimp.Wind definitely had a good bite to it today too

Offline fullThrottle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8180 on: Jan 30, 2018, 02:57 PM »
What type of bait did you down size to?  I was having the same issue.

Offline slipbob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Friends don't let friends use tipups!
« Reply #8181 on: Jan 30, 2018, 03:14 PM »
What type of bait did you down size to?  I was having the same issue.

Perch or crappie jigs/very small bucktails tipped with a waxie or spikes works almost everytime for lakers in any depth if you want to fish that way which I did for years.  bigredonice and I were talking about that for a little bit Saturday and how our laker jigging techniques and presentations have evolved over the years. 

Offline fullThrottle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8182 on: Jan 30, 2018, 03:20 PM »
I hooked on a couple but had like 30-50 chase and pass. I was like if this happens again I’m dropping a perch jig down. Once it got past 605 feet I couldn’t see it on the sonar.  I think it was too small. I need something in between,  thanks for the tip

Offline slipbob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Friends don't let friends use tipups!
« Reply #8183 on: Jan 30, 2018, 03:24 PM »
I hooked on a couple but had like 30-50 chase and pass. I was like if this happens again I’m dropping a perch jig down. Once it got past 605 feet I couldn’t see it on the sonar.  I think it was too small. I need something in between,  thanks for the tip

Yes drop a perch jig down next time and you'll get bit :tipup: 

Offline kpd145

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Shove 'em in
« Reply #8184 on: Jan 30, 2018, 03:30 PM »
Hearthstone is sanded as of yesterday. Should be goid to access now. About 11inches of ice.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming, "Wow! What a RIDE!"--Hunter S. Thompson

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #8185 on: Jan 30, 2018, 03:37 PM »

Technique my friend.   If your tempo is incorrect when you are taking the jig away from them you'll get chased all day with little to show for it.  Ive had a few days like that. 

Now what I do is make them chase down not up...that usually gets them to hit...then I pull them up and gaff them "illegally"....sorry couldnt resist  ;D

Offline prchslyr

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8186 on: Jan 30, 2018, 03:51 PM »
Jake's trout Sunday hit a little tungsten jig at noon just under the ice over 52fow.
He saw the big high mark and knew what to do.  ;D
The angle of the dangle is directly proportionate to the heat of the beat.
http://i63.tinypic.com/ei5njr.png

Offline fullThrottle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8187 on: Jan 30, 2018, 03:51 PM »
Lol. I’ll get a gaff if If it helps hook up more. I’ve fished Lakers with luck in other lakes. I’ve never seen so many fish chase without hitting. I was having them go from 80fow to 10. At one point I looked down the hole to see if I could see it ! This week will hopefully land some good fish

Offline mealworm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • summer sucks
« Reply #8188 on: Jan 30, 2018, 03:53 PM »
I honestly don't know what the size is but I think 1/8 oz forage fry tipped with 2 grubs. Took forever to get that jig down but once I switched I caught almost every fish I marked. Have to work tmrw will be back out rest of the week.

Offline mealworm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • summer sucks
« Reply #8189 on: Jan 30, 2018, 03:55 PM »
. I was having them go from 80fow to 10. At one point I looked down the hole to see if I could see it !
lmao did same exact thing today only I was in 70fow. Was real frustrate g at first

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.