New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: LAKE GEORGE BS THREAD  (Read 1346979 times)

Offline pikeman

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: LAKE GEORGE BS THREAD
« Reply #7920 on: Jan 18, 2018, 01:11 PM »
Does anyone know if they keep hearthstone plowed? And if the ice is still safe there.  Havnt been there in a few years,hate to make the drive up just to find out we can't get out there. Any help is appreciated,thank you.

Offline Shantypanty

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7921 on: Jan 18, 2018, 02:30 PM »
Havent been there this year. Last year it was plowed. Ive heard it is being maintained this year as well.

Offline Walkin624

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7922 on: Jan 18, 2018, 03:19 PM »
Does anyone know if they keep hearthstone plowed? And if the ice is still safe there.  Havnt been there in a few years,hate to make the drive up just to find out we can't get out there. Any help is appreciated,thank you.

I fished there Tuesday and Wednesday and the ice is 8”-10”. Yesterday with the snow I was a little scared that I wouldn’t make it back up the hill but I did. I’m going to be there tomorrow I just hope with the warm weather coming this weekend and next week everything stays locked up.
A bad day fishin still beats a good day at work!!

Offline Spoondangler

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7923 on: Jan 18, 2018, 03:28 PM »
I got stuck down there two weeks ago, but we kinda went off the side of the pavement, just stay on the road!

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #7924 on: Jan 18, 2018, 03:31 PM »
Can anyone give me an update on the ice thickness if any, up by forest bay just south of Hague ? It’d be greatly appreciated. I’m asking for an older friend of mine who doesn’t do the whole computer thing and looking to save him a trip up there if the ice isn’t safe

As of last Sunday...bring a boat...

Offline pikeman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7925 on: Jan 18, 2018, 03:49 PM »
I fished there Tuesday and Wednesday and the ice is 8”-10”. Yesterday with the snow I was a little scared that I wouldn’t make it back up the hill but I did. I’m going to be there tomorrow I just hope with the warm weather coming this weekend and next week everything stays locked up.
.   Appreciate the help! If we end up making it out I'll report if we do any good. Hopefully can get some lakers to cooperate.

Offline Tstone23

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7926 on: Jan 18, 2018, 04:15 PM »
Ive never ice fished LG before but i wanna try this weekend. Also the girlfriend wants me to take her out. So that beimg said i just wanna target perch so she can stay busy. Any pointers on were to go would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Offline Neil McCauley

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7927 on: Jan 18, 2018, 04:54 PM »
Ive never ice fished LG before but i wanna try this weekend. Also the girlfriend wants me to take her out. So that beimg said i just wanna target perch so she can stay busy. Any pointers on were to go would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

PM sent.

Offline Walkin624

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7928 on: Jan 18, 2018, 05:33 PM »
.   Appreciate the help! If we end up making it out I'll report if we do any good. Hopefully can get some lakers to cooperate.

Yea no problem. I did good for lakers, 2 each day. All were 24”-26”.  Hopefully tomorrow I can get 30”+. Good luck.

Offline SSmokinn SS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7929 on: Jan 18, 2018, 05:44 PM »
Has there ever been a 40”+ laker caught on LG ?

Offline Walkin624

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7930 on: Jan 18, 2018, 05:52 PM »
I haven’t seen it but I haven’t fished Lake George more then 10 times if that. It’s a lake I’m just starting to learn. Thanks to everyone on here by the way. But I’m sure there’s been some close to it if not over 40”.

JJ

« Reply #7931 on: Jan 18, 2018, 06:16 PM »
I've seen one that was about 41", caught by a client in 2004. Wish I had a better picture, need to get it rescanned.

Offline Fontona19

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7932 on: Jan 18, 2018, 07:00 PM »
I have seen a legit 39"

Offline SSmokinn SS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7933 on: Jan 18, 2018, 07:25 PM »
I've seen one that was about 41", caught by a client in 2004. Wish I had a better picture, need to get it rescanned.

(Image removed from quote.)

yeah, thats a big one! 2004 was the most recent year? thats crazy.

Offline SSmokinn SS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7934 on: Jan 18, 2018, 07:27 PM »
I have seen a legit 39"

I have a skin mount 39" on my wall from LG from when I was 16, but I was more curious about any 40"ers + popping up. Its no secret the lake has a crazy amount of lakers in it and most seem to be in the 21-28" range, with the low 30"s + being rare. I was just curious on how rare a 40+ is there. You would think there would be a lot more???

Offline Fontona19

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7935 on: Jan 18, 2018, 07:39 PM »
Agreed! There was an article in a local free press type paper about a gentleman that landed a 22lber years ago. That would have had to been 40" I would think.

Offline Garufi518

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7936 on: Jan 18, 2018, 08:23 PM »
They gotta be in there with how deep the lake is...big Fish are big usually because they don’t get caught 🤷🏻‍♂️ My .02$

Offline hairbone

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7937 on: Jan 18, 2018, 08:52 PM »
Helped land a 38-1/2  20.25 pound lakers 20 yrs ago.    Caught a 19 pound 36" lakers in ontario

Offline SSmokinn SS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7938 on: Jan 18, 2018, 09:20 PM »
Agreed! There was an article in a local free press type paper about a gentleman that landed a 22lber years ago. That would have had to been 40" I would think.

22lbs would be over 40” I would imagine.

Offline Toyotaguy 1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7939 on: Jan 18, 2018, 09:24 PM »

28lber

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #7940 on: Jan 18, 2018, 10:22 PM »

You were short by a mear 8" this season.  Im sure they are in there but they sure as heck arent going to try to compete with a shoal of cookie cutters...

Offline ship of fools

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7941 on: Jan 19, 2018, 05:56 AM »
You were short by a mear 8" this season.  Im sure they are in there but they sure as heck arent going to try to compete with a shoal of cookie cutters...

Thats why you keep fishing when the bite slows.  My big one bit about 2 pm on a day that was a good bite until noon that died right off.  Not quite 40 but close
Goin' where the wind don't blow so strange,
Maybe off on some high cold mountain chain.

Offline icebuck

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7942 on: Jan 19, 2018, 06:05 AM »
They gotta be in there with how deep the lake is...big Fish are big usually because they don’t get caught 🤷🏻‍♂️ My .02$

Divers will tell you there are some huge lakers in LG, and even bigger pike

Offline SSmokinn SS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7943 on: Jan 19, 2018, 06:48 AM »

28lber

thats what I am talking about. LG?

Offline SSmokinn SS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7944 on: Jan 19, 2018, 06:50 AM »
Divers will tell you there are some huge lakers in LG, and even bigger pike

Im sure there are. I have dove in LG down to 70' and only saw giant schools of smallies that day.

keep in mind...when you are in the water with them, everything looks bigger...

Offline northernnyice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7945 on: Jan 19, 2018, 09:35 AM »
Im sure there are. I have dove in LG down to 70' and only saw giant schools of smallies that day.

keep in mind...when you are in the water with them, everything looks bigger...

No doubt..

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #7946 on: Jan 19, 2018, 11:20 AM »
Thats why you keep fishing when the bite slows.  My big one bit about 2 pm on a day that was a good bite until noon that died right off.  Not quite 40 but close

Yup.  My pb is 32" but I was perching...

Offline prchslyr

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7947 on: Jan 19, 2018, 01:12 PM »
Yup.  My pb is 32" but I was perching...
My PB was caught at noon with 1 of Tony's perch rods. 30".
Later that day I asked him to build me a trout rod.  ;D
The angle of the dangle is directly proportionate to the heat of the beat.
http://i63.tinypic.com/ei5njr.png

Offline Eaglecrg

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7948 on: Jan 19, 2018, 04:27 PM »
I have a theory that the reason more really big lakers aren't caught is that they like really big bait.  A 20" sucker or cisco would be about right.  They want a meal, not a snack.  They'd have to feed all day if they were eating smelt.  They gobble up a big meal, then go back and sit on the bottom for a few days--don't eat very often.  That's my 2 cents.

Offline SSmokinn SS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7949 on: Jan 19, 2018, 04:38 PM »
I have a theory that the reason more really big lakers aren't caught is that they like really big bait.  A 20" sucker or cisco would be about right.  They want a meal, not a snack.  They'd have to feed all day if they were eating smelt.  They gobble up a big meal, then go back and sit on the bottom for a few days--don't eat very often.  That's my 2 cents.

Seems like a reasonable theory. I 100% agree with you that big fish do not like to chase or exert much energy to eat, if not needed.

Although in one afternoon many moons ago we did catch a 32” , 36” and the 39” on my wall on icicles about 40’ below the ice over 120’+ of water, on the edge of a sunken island. Those 3 fish were cruising together for sure as the 36 and 39 tip up’s went off at the same time, side by side and the 32” was on another shortly after the other 2 were caught. We released the 32 and 36. Haven’t been back to that spot since. It rarely freezes (still wide open right now)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.