New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: LAKE GEORGE BS THREAD  (Read 1347018 times)

Offline mike304

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: LAKE GEORGE BS THREAD
« Reply #6600 on: Dec 11, 2016, 03:53 PM »
Just heard Warner Bay on Lake George is frozen.
A Government big enough to do anything for us is powerful enough to do anything to us!!!
All That Is Needed For Evil To Succeed Is For Good Men To Do Nothing!
Life is Tough, Its even tougher if you're Stupid!!

Offline Walleyes killers

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6601 on: Dec 11, 2016, 04:37 PM »
Man I can't wait to get on lake George

Offline IceNeck9292

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6602 on: Dec 11, 2016, 06:08 PM »
Going to be a great year guys! Can't wait to drown some fish!!!
Cacth them by day, fillet them by night.

Offline step2jimi

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6603 on: Dec 11, 2016, 06:50 PM »
Im pretty excited my self after only getting on once last year im ready.

Offline Neil McCauley

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6604 on: Dec 12, 2016, 06:27 AM »
Huddle getting close, too

Hoping for about Dec 20  ;D

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #6605 on: Dec 12, 2016, 10:07 AM »
Great pic cant wait!

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #6606 on: Dec 12, 2016, 12:59 PM »
just clarify he's an acquaintance iv seen 50 between 2 people in 2 hrs could have easily got 50 each if we would have kept fishing we stopped cause every fish we were catching was under 20" and I don't care I'd trade 50 24" lakers for 1 fish all season if it was over 20 lbs

Interesting tid bit, For me, all the "big" lake trout I've caught jigging through the ice (over 10lbs) were mixed in with schoolie lakers.  Course I've only ever gotten 2 or 3 that size at Lake George.   What was nice last year was the size of the trout we were getting in our areas, most days didn't get anything under 22", at one point jigged 10 in a row over 25" (but nothing over 27").

If someone was serious about just catching the big lakers at lake george, they would either tip up fish, or use lures that excluded the dinks (think B I G).    ME?  I like catching fish.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #6607 on: Dec 12, 2016, 01:31 PM »
just clarify he's an acquaintance iv seen 50 between 2 people in 2 hrs could have easily got 50 each if we would have kept fishing we stopped cause every fish we were catching was under 20" and I don't care I'd trade 50 24" lakers for 1 fish all season if it was over 20 lbs

Acquantance, friend, same difference.   The day he went in I was averaging lakers around 24" and I'll take those all day, every day until the day I can't fish anymore.  Dinks or 20lbers fishing never gets old or redundant for this guy.

Offline adktony

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6608 on: Dec 13, 2016, 07:20 AM »
Just heard Warner Bay on Lake George is frozen.
There was ice on harris yesterday too ;D

Offline crafty1

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • don't fish dead holes
« Reply #6609 on: Dec 13, 2016, 08:41 AM »
Hello everyone,anyone have any updates what the ice is looking like on the king anywheres?
just sitting and staring down an ice hole

Fishmon

« Reply #6610 on: Dec 13, 2016, 01:18 PM »
None worth mentioning yet.  You could launch a boat if you wanted to at MDB, Bolton, or Hague.   It will be a while before it caps over.

Offline crafty1

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • don't fish dead holes
« Reply #6611 on: Dec 13, 2016, 01:23 PM »
Thanks fishmon,I was just looking at the cams and it looked like some thing solid starting out in the distance.hoping the end of the week helps some for the ice. :whistle:I appreciate the info.
just sitting and staring down an ice hole

Offline clarky215285

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6612 on: Dec 13, 2016, 02:57 PM »
Hey everyone,

My dad was wondering if anyone could give some insight on where to find the trout and pike from Vet's parking.  We've only been up there twice and think it's beautiful.  We weren't able to make it last season unfortunately.  We had some success a couple hundred yards from the northern point of Sagamore but it was spotty.  The water there ranged 20-60 feet.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #6613 on: Dec 13, 2016, 03:42 PM »
Millon dollar question everyone fishing LG is tryong to figure out....Clarky...thankf ully for you and your pops the answers are in the 300 pages of this thread...good answers too! 

Offline Lunker Luke

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6614 on: Dec 13, 2016, 06:11 PM »
i live on assembly point and there not much but some ice staring to forum in Harris bay hopefully it wont be long guys ill try to keep you everyone update on whats going on cross your fingers cold nights coming Thursday and Friday     

Offline Mentiply

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6615 on: Dec 14, 2016, 04:15 PM »
Zero ice in Gull Bay

Offline ship of fools

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6616 on: Dec 15, 2016, 07:54 AM »
Zero ice in Gull Bay

We're a long way from fishable ice except for a secluded bay .....  but these high winds and frigid temps will help get the water ready to freeze  ;D

Let's throw some dates out for a guess for first ice in 60' of water off MDB   ....   I'm going with 1/17/17
Goin' where the wind don't blow so strange,
Maybe off on some high cold mountain chain.

Offline step2jimi

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6617 on: Dec 15, 2016, 08:17 AM »
Im going to be optimistic and say january 16th. As that will be the first full day i can commit to ice fishing this season. Ill sneak out a few times at smaller lakes for half day trips but my slow season has for some reason turned into my extremely busy season.(not complaining.....ok maybe a little) I have a couple jobs to knock out and then i have the rest of the winter to work when i want ice fish and take care of my little girl.

Offline step2jimi

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6618 on: Dec 15, 2016, 08:18 AM »
Oh yeah and I just added a ford f150 to my ice fishing arsenal. Now i can bring the massive amounts of gear i dont really need without having to put a puzzle together to get it there.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #6619 on: Dec 15, 2016, 08:42 AM »
Oh yeah and I just added a ford f150 to my ice fishing arsenal. Now i can bring the massive amounts of gear i dont really need without having to put a puzzle together to get it there.

I have a wrx hatch that I sometimes take up there so the wife can use the jeep.  One dude commented "ride big enough" when he saw me pull my otter out of it! 

Offline step2jimi

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6620 on: Dec 15, 2016, 08:56 AM »
was usually a honda civic hatchback for me. jet sled pop up heater all the gadgets and gear. And somehow it fit. Then i got the fx200 and used the wifes explorer, more room meant bigger shack more gear. The thing i liked about it was i could only fit one person but not there shack so i usually drove alone. I prefer it that way as i usually leave my house around 3am and some of my fishing buddies like to be late. Now with the truck they are all going to expect me to drive them. I instilled a rule this year, that if i pull up and your gear is not sitting outside waiting for me along with your self i wont even stop.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #6621 on: Dec 15, 2016, 12:46 PM »
Your a better man than me.  Anyone that wants to fish with me is welcome...meet me there!  Im a first light to last light on George type of guy...there'd need to be a fire to get me to leave early even if the fishing sucks.

Offline Adkrs

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6622 on: Dec 15, 2016, 01:05 PM »
I have a wrx hatch that I sometimes take up there so the wife can use the jeep.  One dude commented "ride big enough" when he saw me pull my otter out of it!

My focus st does the job, just have to fold down the back seats. Enough room for my otter sled and hub shanty.  im usually the only car at the launch.  Sometimes there's an outback wagon. 
Beer will get you through times of no ice better than ice will get you through times of no beer...

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #6623 on: Dec 15, 2016, 01:15 PM »
My focus st does the job, just have to fold down the back seats. Enough room for my otter sled and hub shanty.  im usually the only car at the launch.  Sometimes there's an outback wagon.

Only problem is your hands hurt from the torque steer!  I will say having a awd turbo car with snows in the winter is tremendous!  Especially if I get it on the ice.

Offline fishyfishes

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6624 on: Dec 15, 2016, 01:21 PM »
  Im a first light to last light on George type of guy...there'd need to be a fire to get me to leave early even if the fishing sucks.
Same here l.a.

Offline can_of_worms

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #6625 on: Dec 15, 2016, 03:16 PM »
Could some of you locals advise me as to what type of fishing I can expect in front of or near the Trout House village resort? We used to come up and fish in Bolton Landing at Vets park, and Cotton bay point?? it has been a few years now. We will be staying in a cabin for four days in Feb looking to fish for whatever, we will be walking, but we are young. Thanks so much for any help in advance.

Offline Adkrs

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6626 on: Dec 15, 2016, 03:38 PM »
Only problem is your hands hurt from the torque steer!  I will say having a awd turbo car with snows in the winter is tremendous!  Especially if I get it on the ice.

1 tire fire in the winter haha i was pretty close to driving out on schroon last year
Beer will get you through times of no ice better than ice will get you through times of no beer...

Offline Mentiply

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6627 on: Dec 15, 2016, 03:43 PM »
Could some of you locals advise me as to what type of fishing I can expect in front of or near the Trout House village resort? We used to come up and fish in Bolton Landing at Vets park, and Cotton bay point?? it has been a few years now. We will be staying in a cabin for four days in Feb looking to fish for whatever, we will be walking, but we are young. Thanks so much for any help in advance.

Easy answer any fish in the Lake. There is an underwater island surrounded by deep water out in front of the Trout house so from Perch to Lakers its an easy walk.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #6628 on: Dec 15, 2016, 03:44 PM »
1 tire fire in the winter haha i was pretty close to driving out on schroon last year

There is a pic of my invoice from a winch out in the berks in my.photobucket...that was the wagon...that day cost me...buried to the frame rails.

Fishmon

« Reply #6629 on: Dec 15, 2016, 03:44 PM »
Lake should be frozen up by February.  Last year it did not since that is widest part of lake and we had an abnormally warm winter.  You can fish right out in front of the Trout House.  It drops off to 80 plus feet there about 3-400 yards off shore.  I have caught a lot of lake trout there.  You will see numbers of people in the center of the lake.  There is a sunken island out there where the water is roughly 30-40 feet deep.  Lots of perch out there and lake trout prowl the island and drop offs.  I don't use tip ups normally.  If you jig for lakers, mobility is important.  Move around and look for them.  Electronics help a lot! ;)  If you do use tip ups, try setting some just under the ice for landlock salmon.  They are making a comeback. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.