New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: LAKE GEORGE BS THREAD  (Read 1347148 times)

Offline hunt4perch

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: LAKE GEORGE BS THREAD
« Reply #5430 on: Mar 02, 2015, 06:26 AM »
I've never fished this lake before.  Can anyone tell me spost to go with and without a wheeler/snowmobile?  What about parking?

Page one says there is no safe ice on the lake.

Offline ship of fools

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5431 on: Mar 02, 2015, 06:33 AM »
Page one says there is no safe ice on the lake.

There wasn't 272 pages ago  .... there is now  ;)

If you guys are complete newbies to the lake consider hiring Capt JJ for a day. It would be money well spent.

If not read up and you will get all sorts of info.

MDB or Vets are the obvious choices. Find a contour map and start fishing. Perch in 30-50' and lakers anywhere from 30 - 100+ feet.
Goin' where the wind don't blow so strange,
Maybe off on some high cold mountain chain.

Offline butch76

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5432 on: Mar 02, 2015, 07:03 AM »
A friend and I went fishing out of Bixby Beach Saturday and only caught 5 perch, other people we talked to around there weren't having a lot of luck either.  Hopefully do better next time we go up, maybe target lakers more then.

Also, I was wondering if there was still somewhere to park to access Dunham's Bay, we used to park at the lot off Bay Road the last time I went there (about 7 years ago) but last year it wasn't plowed.  Do they not plow it anymore?  Anywhere else to park there?  PM me if you could, thanks.

Offline SSmokinn SS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5433 on: Mar 02, 2015, 07:18 AM »
A friend and I went fishing out of Bixby Beach Saturday and only caught 5 perch, other people we talked to around there weren't having a lot of luck either.  Hopefully do better next time we go up, maybe target lakers more then.

Also, I was wondering if there was still somewhere to park to access Dunham's Bay, we used to park at the lot off Bay Road the last time I went there (about 7 years ago) but last year it wasn't plowed.  Do they not plow it anymore?  Anywhere else to park there?  PM me if you could, thanks.

I was out of bixby rd on huddle saturday as well. Me and my buddy limited. About 20 of them were true jumbo's. I also got 10 huge pumpkinseed's that came home with me. Most of the perch were 9-10" that we kept. We had a few 13-14"ers each as well.

They are there, and agressive. You just need to find them. We caught fish in every hole, but I kept moving until I found the "right" ones...and when I found them, it was lights out. They were there and hungry. I will tell you they were wayyy off the beaten path. No one was around me for atleast 75 yards.

Offline aj454

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5434 on: Mar 02, 2015, 08:20 AM »
ss I went out of Bixby rd sat also. did pretty good got 30.  parked my truck right at the end of the road in front of the stop sign.  got the quad stuck once out of 4 moves.  need a sled for next year so I can get out futher.

Offline fishyfishes

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5435 on: Mar 02, 2015, 08:20 AM »
Went to vets yesterday in search of perch and found nothing but Lakers. Fished from 17ft. - 30ft. 2 of the 10 Lakers caught came in 17 fow. :wacko:

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #5436 on: Mar 02, 2015, 08:24 AM »
Went to vets yesterday in search of perch and found nothing but Lakers. Fished from 17ft. - 30ft. 2 of the 10 Lakers caught came in 17 row. :wacko:

We've been having the same issue!  Not a bad problem to have!

Offline NatefishNY

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5437 on: Mar 02, 2015, 09:59 AM »

There's a little parking area plowed out on 9L for Dunhams bay
            P.E.T.A. = People Eating Tasty Animals

Offline butch76

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5438 on: Mar 02, 2015, 10:16 AM »
Ok, thanks.

JJ

« Reply #5439 on: Mar 02, 2015, 10:18 AM »
Nice fish guys.

We had another good weekend of jigging for lakers, did pretty well for beginners.

Offline fishyfishes

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5440 on: Mar 02, 2015, 10:21 AM »
Nice job!

JJ

« Reply #5441 on: Mar 02, 2015, 10:24 AM »
Still haven't seen the guy that made these tracks, but this otter has been all over the ice. Did see a mink running along shore yesterday headed to some open water. Also been seeing lots of fox and some coyote tracks on the ice, they are looking for food with all the cold weather.

Offline o2rmk800

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5442 on: Mar 02, 2015, 10:29 AM »
nice pics JJ

Offline fishyfishes

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5443 on: Mar 02, 2015, 10:29 AM »
Mountain lion I'm assuming?

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #5444 on: Mar 02, 2015, 10:34 AM »
Nice fish Mike!

Offline lavaman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5445 on: Mar 02, 2015, 11:07 AM »
wtg captjj

Offline JAGER61

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5446 on: Mar 02, 2015, 11:30 AM »
Thanks Gents!

Nice pics JJ, beautiful weather!

Mike

Offline SSmokinn SS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5447 on: Mar 02, 2015, 12:42 PM »
ss I went out of Bixby rd sat also. did pretty good got 30.  parked my truck right at the end of the road in front of the stop sign.  got the quad stuck once out of 4 moves.  need a sled for next year so I can get out futher.

we backed in right by you guys when you were unloading then around 6am. We were in a 2014 white silverado crew cab.

Offline hvfd123456

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5448 on: Mar 02, 2015, 12:46 PM »
Looking to get on some perch not from the area any info would be greatly appreciated I will be walking thanks

Offline jigshimmer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5449 on: Mar 02, 2015, 02:37 PM »
Looking to get on some perch not from the area any info would be greatly appreciated I will be walking thanks

All sorts of good info on the Lake George perch BS site

Offline ice88

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5450 on: Mar 02, 2015, 02:40 PM »
nice time on LG

Offline ice88

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5451 on: Mar 02, 2015, 03:18 PM »
Love catching lake trout on perch setup

Offline ice88

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5452 on: Mar 02, 2015, 03:46 PM »
Well I limited today on perch. At least half are jumbos. They are moving into the shallows water. I also ended up getting 10 pumpkinseed's and 2 of them were Giants.where r the perch at I don't see them in pic

We really had to work to get the big perch tho. We cut holes and moved all day. It paid off

The perch is 13" for size reference.

Offline SSmokinn SS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5453 on: Mar 02, 2015, 04:19 PM »
ICE- I only put my biggest perch in that picture (lower left side of the pic). I didnt bother taking a picture of my perch pile.

Offline Celt6

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5454 on: Mar 02, 2015, 04:29 PM »
Nice !
Went out from Vets Thursday with my friend Dwight and tried fishing a little deeper in search of some fresh fish who have not had a steady diet of pimples dropped on their heads for the last 6 weeks!  The bite was slow as expected and conditions were downright miserable but we did end up catching some decent fish including a nice fat 29" that I got on 6lb test and a medium action jig rod. The fish fought me hard for 15 min and took me to the bottom in 138 FOW twice! Dwight got a nice one that almost ran out his entire spool of line on a Heritage Laker! That was not fun to wind back up in the wind! Good times!  :)

Mike

Offline njg0621

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5455 on: Mar 02, 2015, 04:53 PM »
What makes some lakers look so much different than others? Some are dark brown and some are almost silver. Male vs Female?  Young vs Old?   Deeper water/muddy water vs shallower water/clear water???

Offline njg0621

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5456 on: Mar 02, 2015, 04:57 PM »
There wasn't 272 pages ago  .... there is now  ;)

If you guys are complete newbies to the lake consider hiring Capt JJ for a day. It would be money well spent.

If not read up and you will get all sorts of info.

MDB or Vets are the obvious choices. Find a contour map and start fishing. Perch in 30-50' and lakers anywhere from 30 - 100+ feet.

Dont want to many guys going out with jj there wont be any fish left in the lake!

Offline krazjon

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5457 on: Mar 02, 2015, 06:23 PM »
Nice fish guys.

We had another good weekend of jigging for lakers, did pretty well for beginners.

(Image removed from quote.)

guy on the right kinda looks like jeremy wade (river monsters guy)
Jon Arnold

Offline Barebow

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Always fishing for something!
« Reply #5458 on: Mar 02, 2015, 07:16 PM »
Not sure guys but I don't think there are any lakers stoked in recent years, they are naturally reproducing...Maybe Cpt. JJ has some info on this...Barebow ???

Offline rpdfishes

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5459 on: Mar 02, 2015, 07:22 PM »
There are enough natural lakers in there no need to stock more!!!!! Put in some walleye or Rainbows
Not sure guys but I don't think there are any lakers stoked in recent years, they are naturally reproducing...Maybe Cpt. JJ has some info on this...Barebow ???

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.