New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: LAKE GEORGE BS THREAD  (Read 1347161 times)

Offline coldfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: LAKE GEORGE BS THREAD
« Reply #4680 on: Jan 27, 2015, 04:02 PM »
Nice job

Offline MJB518

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4681 on: Jan 27, 2015, 04:23 PM »
I had the same problem on my last outing. (poor hooksets) I did some research on sharpening hooks, and discovered the fingernail test.  My hooks were sliding right off the fingernail without even scratching it.  I went and bought a hook sharpener, spent 15mins. sharpening some hooks, and I swear they are now sharper than some brand new hooks I have in my tackle box.

Offline greensider

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4682 on: Jan 27, 2015, 04:31 PM »
i have used a small flat fine file for years to sharpen hooks i do not like any store bought sharpener trust me s few strokes with the file you will know how sharp they can be

Offline The Reel Deeeal

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4683 on: Jan 27, 2015, 04:35 PM »
I have a nice set of diamond stones so I'll have to try that. Does rust become an issue once the coating is gone? I can't imagine them using the best steel for freshwater hooks.

Offline JAGER61

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4684 on: Jan 27, 2015, 04:39 PM »
Here ya go! Works like a charm and gets hook "scary" sharp!
Good luck!

http://www.amazon.com/Luhr-Jensen-Original-Hook-File-Handle/dp/B003KH8QFQ

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #4685 on: Jan 27, 2015, 04:41 PM »
You sure raped them that day!  ;D

I get what you were saying now!   ;D

Offline JigSchtickGeorge

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4686 on: Jan 27, 2015, 05:04 PM »
Great video!

Best part is you were very gentle to those fish and sent them all back down home, FOR US TO CATCH NEXT YEAR!!

i love knowing I could catch the same lakers years later, besides could you imagine how many smelt there'd be without all these lakers.

Offline JigSchtickGeorge

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4687 on: Jan 27, 2015, 05:22 PM »
I always though the AZ feature was used for perch.  I'll be trying it out on Trout this weekend, thanks for the tip.

Offline bird21s

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4688 on: Jan 27, 2015, 05:23 PM »
Great video!

Best part is you were very gentle to those fish and sent them all back down home, FOR US TO CATCH NEXT YEAR!!

i love knowing I could catch the same lakers years later, besides could you imagine how many smelt there'd be without all these lakers.

It's very tough to be extremely gentle. I prefer to release them in the hole but that's not always an option. I would be lying if I said every fish had a 100% chance of surviving.  Some are so aggressive they put the hooks into there gills. Small percentage but always possible. I usually don't keep lakers unless they are injured and of legal length. If dec would allow for some smaller lakers to be kept it would make it easier to keep the ones that burry the lure. I've also got some tripod footage to edit a bit, soon as I'm done plowing from this "epic" snow storm I'll get to it.

Offline JigSchtickGeorge

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4689 on: Jan 27, 2015, 05:32 PM »
Keep in mind how many lakers would be pulled out of the lake every Saturday and Sunday if the slot was lowered.  Now with electronics! And some paddle fisherman still around...  i love what we have on LG.. Thousands of aggressive fish that will chase a hunk of metal!!  Would it change with a smaller slot? Maybe like shooting plenty of does to improve the overall deer herd?  I'm asking btw.  I'm very curious about this.

Offline bird21s

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4690 on: Jan 27, 2015, 06:07 PM »
I don't disagree with the 23" limit, it seems to be working just fine. It just seems the little ones take it the deepest. I don't lose sleep over the issue but I'm sure many lake trout jiggers hate to release a fish they know will die. Guess it comes with the territory. I may experiment with single hooks opposed to treble. I just wonder if it will mess up the action.

Offline Fontona19

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4691 on: Jan 27, 2015, 06:26 PM »
Great video Andy! I found my heart racing as those marks came flying up.  :laugh:

Offline bird21s

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4692 on: Jan 27, 2015, 06:41 PM »
Thanks man, I've got 18-20 of the fish caught that day on video. After the gopro battery crapped out I used my cell. Lost so many fish due to it. In time after I get familiar with a good video editing app or software I'll put them all together. Try to compile 6 hours into a reasonable to watch video. I can only imagine what it would look like in reds shack. I swear he uses two rods at a time. Or Atleast runs laker jigs like a sabiki. Pulling in two at a time lol. Something about them rockets chasing your jig always gets the heart beating...we will have to hook up again soon for some action... I've got an area that was good to me last season. Red can tote us out in his utv!!!

Offline 5watchman5

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Whose idea was this anyway?
« Reply #4693 on: Jan 27, 2015, 06:45 PM »
I made it out from 9-1 and managed 14. The bite was real hot when that first band of snow came through.  All were right around 23-25". Nothing photo worthy but wanted to try out a GoPro I've had laying around. Wasn't much snow on the ice  when I headed off either, was a pretty stiff breeze blowing it all down the lake. One more thing, can anyone reccomend any real sticky hooks, not overly happy with the amount of hookups I'm missing, time to swap out some trebles.
Another thing to keep in mind besides hook sharpness is drag.  It's tough because every fight is different and you may find yourself constantly adjusting the drag.  When you start missing a few in a row, tighten your drag and you may have better hookups.  Just my two cents.  Good job getting out there today.  The 18-20 mph north winds forecast was enough to keep me home today. ;D

Offline Fontona19

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4694 on: Jan 27, 2015, 07:40 PM »
Thanks man, I've got 18-20 of the fish caught that day on video. After the gopro battery crapped out I used my cell. Lost so many fish due to it. In time after I get familiar with a good video editing app or software I'll put them all together. Try to compile 6 hours into a reasonable to watch video. I can only imagine what it would look like in reds shack. I swear he uses two rods at a time. Or Atleast runs laker jigs like a sabiki. Pulling in two at a time lol. Something about them rockets chasing your jig always gets the heart beating...we will have to hook up again soon for some action... I've got an area that was good to me last season. Red can tote us out in his utv!!!

Sounds like a plan dude. Maybe we should tie up some of those sabiki rigs.

Offline MJB518

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4695 on: Jan 27, 2015, 07:43 PM »
Anybody been out to pilots knob recently? Pressure crack still bad?

Offline The Reel Deeeal

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4696 on: Jan 27, 2015, 08:22 PM »
Another thing to keep in mind besides hook sharpness is drag.  It's tough because every fight is different and you may find yourself constantly adjusting the drag.  When you start missing a few in a row, tighten your drag and you may have better hookups.  Just my two cents.  Good job getting out there today.  The 18-20 mph north winds forecast was enough to keep me home today. ;D

It's funny you say that, there were a couple times when the action was hot and I had 3 or 4 chasing at a time and well..I got caught up in the moment and dropped back down as fast as I could to try and pick up another and definitely missed a couple due to my drag being too loose for a good hookset. Won't be making that mistake again!

Offline Barebow

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Always fishing for something!
« Reply #4697 on: Jan 27, 2015, 09:14 PM »
Great video Bird, enjoyed the "Bird's" eye view it certainly demonstrates the use of the vex and the technique.  30 years ago we did the same thing with #9 swedish pimples on the flats near tongue, just didn't have electronics, did it blind, hole to hole until we found them...Tight Lines, guys!!Barebow

Offline bird21s

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4698 on: Jan 27, 2015, 09:39 PM »
Haha it's funny you say birds eye view, as that's what my gopro and iPhone network connection is named. If I had to do it blind I would drop to the bottom and reel up 3/4 the way for 15 minutes a hole till one produced. I've used the vex so long that I couldn't imagine the satisfaction of a blind hook up. I'm sure the numbers count would be down, but satisfaction would be great. However I'll stick to the vex lol, thanks for the kind words barebow and others.

Offline Barebow

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Always fishing for something!
« Reply #4699 on: Jan 27, 2015, 09:46 PM »
I got my PB of 10 lb.s that way around 1981....I also fought a 4 foot pice of wormy board for about 45 minutes in that area north of crown near the narrows, had about 12 people watch me reel all the way almost to the surface, then the "fish" would pull erratically all the way back to the bottom..Eventually slid a very old wormy board on the ice, everyone laughed and left.. I now believe it was a piece of one of those long lost Bateaus from the revolutionary war...Caught about a 6 lb salmon out in the channel with jig and rod one year too...Barebow!!

Offline captin bill

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4700 on: Jan 28, 2015, 03:25 AM »
#6 or #8 sureset trebles seem to reduce lost fish for me @)

Offline TC5

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4701 on: Jan 28, 2015, 03:49 AM »
Had a guy on my boat one day fight a drift bag for tan min one time.Fun as crap all his buddes on the boat watch and cherrr. the bag was yellowes in color so down 40 feet iyou could see it as plain as day to see.35 in drift bag.It was a great photo shot.And he took it home. ;D

Offline adktony

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4702 on: Jan 28, 2015, 04:00 AM »
Had a guy on my boat one day fight a drift bag for tan min one time.Fun as crap all his buddes on the boat watch and cherrr. the bag was yellowes in color so down 40 feet iyou could see it as plain as day to see.35 in drift bag.It was a great photo shot.And he took it home. ;D
I wonder how that tasted pan fried. Was it as oily as a laker :roflmao:

Offline TC5

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4703 on: Jan 28, 2015, 04:31 AM »
He would have to get the big daddy frying pan.The one with the three foot handle.Oh yea @)

Offline gitthegaff

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "Fish on"
« Reply #4704 on: Jan 28, 2015, 04:39 AM »
Take a Newbie, fishing with tip ups! during the day when hes not paying attention, put an Umbrella on his line and trip the Flag! Get the video camera ready! LOL  ;)
Paul

Offline fishyfishes

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4705 on: Jan 28, 2015, 06:16 AM »
Take a Newbie, fishing with tip ups! during the day when hes not paying attention, put an Umbrella on his line and trip the Flag! Get the video camera ready! LOL  ;)
haha I know people who put a lobster on one. It might be pricey though.

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #4706 on: Jan 28, 2015, 07:37 AM »
I made it out from 9-1 and managed 14. The bite was real hot when that first band of snow came through.  All were right around 23-25". Nothing photo worthy but wanted to try out a GoPro I've had laying around. Wasn't much snow on the ice  when I headed off either, was a pretty stiff breeze blowing it all down the lake. One more thing, can anyone reccomend any real sticky hooks, not overly happy with the amount of hookups I'm missing, time to swap out some trebles.

Awesome day on the water!   Hope I was able to help in some way.   Nice fish!

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #4707 on: Jan 28, 2015, 07:41 AM »
My friend Ryan made an entertaining video of our group catching a few from this weekend
http://youtu.be/a4HVpOSj6mE

Offline felix

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4708 on: Jan 28, 2015, 07:48 AM »
Now that's a great video. Thanks!

Offline fishyfishes

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4709 on: Jan 28, 2015, 07:51 AM »
My friend Ryan made an entertaining video of our group catching a few from this weekend
http://youtu.be/a4HVpOSj6mE
Pretty sick video! I was feelin the Linkin Park aswell .

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.